Alternators Optimus Prime

Father Time

Is Alternators Optimus Prime a Good idea, or a Bad idea?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is Alternators Optimus Prime a Good idea, or a Bad idea?

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea
    • I'll refrain from formalizing an opinion until the final product is shown

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well not to sound prejudiced, but mosta the "bad idea" camp have deciding factors that are pretty clear to them from not only the photos but just the fundamental concept itself and knowing what the real truck looks like.  New photos or angles won't change those.  This camp is also probably the reason you can still find Grimlock and some Ravage alts on shelves.

Now, are there still buyers who like those?  Yes.  Are there buyers who would like this Alt Prime?  Of course.  And I'm not trying to condone jumping to conclusions as either a virtuous or beneficial habit, either.  But at the same time, let's just consider the possibility that a sizeable group are very against this kind of Prime, as well as the possibility that this group's mentality is dominant/representative enough to determine the success of sales of these Primes.  Perhaps that's not the case.  But since Hasbro is in the business of selling as many of each of their products as possible to their target markets, it's in their interests to probably know if there's a significant problem as early as possible, as that's part of the purpose of doing these tests (presuming their marketing efforts are able to extract this as data usable to them -- i.e. presuming they're even paying attention to or aware of what a bunch of fan collectors on some internet mesg board say).

My personal reaction, as diplomatically stated as I can, is that I'm very unlikely to purchase this and I'd almost assuredly say that no form, shape, variant, or different photos will likely change that feeling.  And if I recall, that was the purpose of the question asked in this thread.  I will also add that in my eyes, I could see myself being much more likely to purchase either this truck or that other truck with the dome-shaped front, if it was Kup in say a corresponding greenish-gray, or some other character that I could see suiting the shape, form, or personality of the model.

Yeah, 1:24 Decepticon jets sounded really cool.  When I actually bothered to measure out an F-15 in that scale though, I found it'd be like 2 feet long making Starscream probably 1.5 times larger than MP Optimus.  Beyond that, the only 1:24 plane models I've found are for older WW1 and WW2 era small fighters and those were pretty pricey already.  Even for doing a 1:32 custom-bash of Starscream, models seem to be in the range of $50-60.

I think its awesome.  He looks very much like G2 Laser Prime to me.  Even though the blocky legs looked bad on Prowl, I think they look Prime for the simple fact Prime has always been a bigger bot anyway. 

I know everyone is thinking of MP Prime as the real Alternators Prime, but I dont since I know the fact that the Alternators are based more on manufacturer named cars and not stock bodies like in G1 or the truck mode used for MP Prime.

I hope more people will hate it so I can find one easy. :thumb The head looks perfect, the shoulders make him look bad ass.  Also, it looks like the waste is transformed the wrong way, so I know if this mistransformed pic looks good, the final shots are gonna be hot. :thumb

Car mode: Absolutely nothing to complain about. Great mold, cool color.

Robot mode: Not so good. No articulation in the legs (judging by the pics), visible screws, and are that the seats hanging from the arms? The shoulderwingthings don't look like cool kibble that enhances the robot-car feeling but more like ugly flaps as a result from poor designing.

Although it's not the final mold, I don't think I'll warm up to the robot mode in the future.

Character: Prime........no. For me, this being Prime is a reason not to buy it. I think it would be an excellent Ironhide though.

I live in Japan.  I can confirm the lack of American style pick-up trucks here.  Kids here and most adults would not easily identify a Dodge car/truck of any kind...  The trucks here are tiny.  They look more like those 4wd bedded ATV trucks used on farms in the States but with a small two person cab.

To be honest I can think of a good Prime alt mode that is Japanese centric...  The again,  half the car models used in Binaltech are not found in Japan...  I wonder if Takara/Hasbro was limited to only trucks/SUVs from thier license partners.  Seeing as how Prime has never been an SUV (and most fans would be unhappy with it if he was), that limits Prime to a pick-up truck.

I voted yes. I like Prime (as most of us do).

These images are the first I've seen of Prime and it may not be what he's gonna look like in the end / should look like now / mistransformed / whatever, but it at least gives us a clue to what he'll be like.

I accept that and I also like these "springboard" first images. It can only get better.  :thumb

This is not to say that everyone has to hop on the "yes" bandwagon. This is what I voted, and everyone can vote however they want. There isn't a right or wrong answer.  :wave

i said no, because he doesn't look like prime.

i really had my heart set on the truck to be ironhide. even if it wasn't iron hide and it was another character, like kup, or maybe make prime into an H2, heck i can even see ultra magnus as an H2, as long as it fits the character i'm ok with it.

now, i agree in car mode this is beautiful, in robot mode it doesn't look that good. i have a thing with articulation, the alternator series should not have limitation to articulations. they need to go back to the drawing board and fix those legs at the least and then i can start to like the robot mode better. i'm definitly getting this figure but i am definilty doing the head swap with skids and chnging the color.

Archived