Alternators Optimus Prime

Father Time

Is Alternators Optimus Prime a Good idea, or a Bad idea?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is Alternators Optimus Prime a Good idea, or a Bad idea?

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea
    • I'll refrain from formalizing an opinion until the final product is shown

has anyone seen this link, and thinks it's wierd that the unused alt bumblebee makes an appearance on this comic book. do you guys think he is on the list for 2006

I almost get the sense that Bumblebee is Has/Tak's holdout character for the BT/Alt line.  For several reasons:

(1) The buyers and fans are looking like they'll accept Mirage as a Ford GT since it looks slim and sleek and has a history that suits Mirage's personality.  But while some of the other characters are got remodeled -- and most of those have been generally accepted and bought -- all of those had arguably a tad less airtime than Bumblebee ever did.  In fact, I'd be willing to say that Bumblebee is probably the next most recognized Autobot after Prime.  So Bumblebee needs to be "done right".

(2) Can you think of any other replacements besides the New Beetle?  The Mini Cooper doesn't even seem right.  Moreover, Mini already has their own transforming toy robot to advertise their car that has no gun so they don't need to deal with the "war machine" issue that seems to scare off the german manufacturers.  Jazz had a couple of potential alternatives for a different model that could suit him.  In fact, I still think the 350Z woulda been just as snazzy as the RX-8 AND woulda had the benefit of having the same pseudo Porsche structure.

(3) I think Has/Tak might have already patented their Bumblebee transformation process which is why they have pics out.  These're expensive and perhaps Has/Tak is thinking or hoping that VW will finally "see reason" and/or give in to demand pressure if there's enough.

Chances are the Bumblebee comic appearance is more of an artist's inside reference joke than an omen of anything serious.  Has/Tak likely has the character design copyrighted or however those are protected so it can probably be used as long as they don't show it in the form of a New Beetle (which might also require licensing? dunno).

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Glue

But those three points are not mutually exclusive - I mean that A) Hasbro is holding out B) Artists are playing an inside joke based on Company and Fan anxiety/anticipation C) Has-Tak-Omy really want the character "done right" and are pressureing VW as much as they can and still be polite about it....

If you think about it - the comic and the BT guide creates a self perpetuating pressure/machine

grimmlock:  I don't think there was any other information offered up at Botcon regarding the other new molds.  More than likely this is due to licensing issues than anything else (as in the licenses aren't fully secured).

Back to Optimus:  even if the weird shoulder things are supposed to remain up, it's too bad they didn't mold some extra weapon detail into them or something.  One thing that helps redeem Tracks kibblishness is the extra weapons/flying jets on the inside of his car-mode rocker panels.  Those shoulder thingees would be awesome if they had flip open ports that revealed a huge rack of missles, etc.

grimmlock:  I don't think there was any other information offered up at Botcon regarding the other new molds.  More than likely this is due to licensing issues than anything else (as in the licenses aren't fully secured).

Back to Optimus:  even if the weird shoulder things are supposed to remain up, it's too bad they didn't mold some extra weapon detail into them or something.  One thing that helps redeem Tracks kibblishness is the extra weapons/flying jets on the inside of his car-mode rocker panels.  Those shoulder thingees would be awesome if they had flip open ports that revealed a huge rack of missles, etc.

that defintly would have been better, and would totally rock, what ideas do you think could have been done for the legs

that defintly would have been better, and would totally rock, what ideas do you think could have been done for the legs

Well, assuming that he has been mistransformed in the "official" pics and that his legs to extend outwards to give him better proportions and a knee joint, I don't think there is really much else that can be done with legs as there isn't that much room due to the nature of having to work with a pickup-truck bed.

One thing:  they could have made the molding on the lower legs more closely match the look of MP/20th's lower legs - inclusion of the grey vent shin details and a little more blue color would make him look a lot more "Optimus-y" down there.

I'm glad to actually be getting a full size truck alt/bt... And like mentioned before Takara wouldn't actually make a US Truck unless it was Prime/Convoy. Which is why I believe they had plans for him to be actually another character, like others have mentioned his transformation looks more like Trailbreaker and Hoist design.

Archived