Alternators Optimus Prime

Father Time

Is Alternators Optimus Prime a Good idea, or a Bad idea?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is Alternators Optimus Prime a Good idea, or a Bad idea?

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea
    • I'll refrain from formalizing an opinion until the final product is shown

I think its decent, however i really think that if there is an Optimus Prime, there has to be some kind of Megatron in the Mix....maybe a different car company's big truck would work...im not sure what  I would like to see megatron as though.....As for this alternator prime....i will get him because i want all the alternators.....so is that walmart rumor true, that they will not be running alternators until next year?

Yeah I`ve heard it`ll be spring before we see Alts at Walicron but I`m thinking that they might get some in just before Christmas like right after Halloween. That would be so cool then I could do like I did last year when all those Alts came out at the begining of November and just set a bunch of them on Layaway and buy them little by little.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Poor Prime, it seems that he has to look almost the same for every incarnation he has. God forbid he doesn't a truck face on his chest. :(

Poor Prime, it seems that he has to look almost the same for every incarnation he has. God forbid he doesn't a truck face on his chest. :(

These two hit the nail right on the head in regards to being perfect examples of how fundamentalist some Transformers can be.

Look at the history of the two leaders, Megatron and Optimus Prime. We look at their alt modes:

Megatron

Gun

Tank

Sports car

Tyrannosaurus Rex

Dragon

Big Head

10-changer

Tank

Gunship

Race car

Optimus Prime/Primal

Truck

Sports car

Monkey

Monkey/Jetcar hybrid

Monkey

Fire truck

Truck

Truck

Truck/Fire truck hybrid

Megatron has WAAYYY more variations as a toy - which shows us that a character is not defined by his alt mode, but his strength of character. You are to tell me that if Optimus Prime's next Alt mode is going to be an apple (which is also red,) there's going to be a collective temper tantrum hailed upon by the Autobot fans/Optimus Prime fans? I think, like Megatron, Optimus Prime is a character that is easily identifiable in his robot mode more than anything else. His alt mode is just that - his alt mode.

And the second statement about buying Optimus Prime no matter what just because he's Optimus Prime? That's problematic because it lets Hasbro/Takara designing crap (i.e. Energon Optimus Prime) but gets marketed simply because the corporate weasels knows they can Transufomah! the fans and they won't say anything about it when they make some crap, charge $80 per piece, and colour it in a horrendous colour scheme - but they can do that, because it's

OPTIMUS PRIME!!!!!!

I normally think complaining is counterproductive, but if a product is clearly inferior, you have the right as a consumer to not buy it and criticize it. Inversely, you can buy it as well, but the key is choice. If it's crap, don't buy it, but don't buy it because it's

"OPTIMUS PRIME".

These two hit the nail right on the head in regards to being perfect examples of how fundamentalist some Transformers can be.

Look at the history of the two leaders, Megatron and Optimus Prime. We look at their alt modes:

Megatron

Gun

Tank

Sports car

Tyrannosaurus Rex

Dragon

Big Head

10-changer

Tank

Gunship

Race car

Optimus Prime/Primal

Truck

Sports car

Monkey

Monkey/Jetcar hybrid

Monkey

Fire truck

Truck

Truck

Truck/Fire truck hybrid

Megatron has WAAYYY more variations as a toy - which shows us that a character is not defined by his alt mode, but his strength of character. You are to tell me that if Optimus Prime's next Alt mode is going to be an apple (which is also red,) there's going to be a collective temper tantrum hailed upon by the Autobot fans/Optimus Prime fans? I think, like Megatron, Optimus Prime is a character that is easily identifiable in his robot mode more than anything else. His alt mode is just that - his alt mode.

And the second statement about buying Optimus Prime no matter what just because he's Optimus Prime? That's problematic because it lets Hasbro/Takara designing crap (i.e. Energon Optimus Prime) but gets marketed simply because the corporate weasels knows they can Transufomah! the fans and they won't say anything about it when they make some crap, charge $80 per piece, and colour it in a horrendous colour scheme - but they can do that, because it's

OPTIMUS PRIME!!!!!!

I normally think complaining is counterproductive, but if a product is clearly inferior, you have the right as a consumer to not buy it and criticize it. Inversely, you can buy it as well, but the key is choice. If it's crap, don't buy it, but don't buy it just because it's "OPTIMUS PRIME".

Well when it comes to fundamentalism, there are those of us who completely disregard all but the original alts for Megatron and Prime because we don't feel any of the others HAVE any strength of character.  To be honest, I'm one of those who even despises the tank Megatron of G2.

Everyone draws a line SOMEWHERE.  Perhaps fundamentalists are more picky (or whatever it may be) than you are in what one accepts as being Prime but, by the same token, what you may consider crappy or inferior product that "just has 'Optimus Prime' slapped on it" may be completely acceptable to someone else for reasons that you can't identify with.  After all, that is how the G1 fundies see all the other fans of non-G1 TF, justified or not.

i think i speak for everyone when i say everyone would complain if op was an apple in the next series, i mean what is he going to do fight bad teeth and loose teeth, but i get your point, i like the idea of op being something else but he's still a truck even in this carnation, and yeah i do think hasbro might change it to something else just like they did tracks, i mean it wouldn't be the 1st alt that differs from a bt, from the sounds of things it doesn't seem like this will be repainted in the bt line, so if it does stay op expect 6-7 repaints to help out tomkara from the mold, lets see, op, scourge (black/teal), nemsis prime(black/tan), ultra magnus, rodimus prime, motormaster, octane......ok that's stretching it but hey what else can they do

Hmmm. The more I think about it the more I don't get it.

Hasbro says Takara wanted it to be Convoy so it would sell in their market. Fair enough.

BT and Alts share some plastic parts. However, a mold used for diecast is not the same as one used for plastic. So that points to 2 sets, or put another way, not the exact same molds are used for both. Also, sometimes there are left/right hand drive variations.

Now we get to Prowl. Acura RSX over here vs. Honda Integra over there. Again. Differences. Japan also gets extra colors sometimes.

Where am I going with this? There's no real reason for BT/Alt to be exactly the same. The switch from a left hand drive dash to rhd means a mold for each.

I honestly don't see why Hasbro couldn't have made a new (better accepted) head mold. I hope this doesn't come across as Starscreaming cause I'm not. Just thinking out loud. :)

EDIT: Doh! They put out Prime now so we get suckered into buying it. Then release something better later. *cough* Sunstreaker... clever. :D

I'll refrain from making a judgment.

This doesn't mean that I like or approve of this alt, I actually dislike it for several reasons, I would like to see better pics and more final pics before making a final decision.

(Doesn't mean I'll hesitate about getting it.)

Archived