Alternators Optimus Prime

Father Time

Is Alternators Optimus Prime a Good idea, or a Bad idea?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is Alternators Optimus Prime a Good idea, or a Bad idea?

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea
    • I'll refrain from formalizing an opinion until the final product is shown

Bad idea? How? I'm in the wait for the final product camp. We've all seen the proto Starscreaming -> final product praise. :)

If you don't like him. Keep MP-01 as your leader. No one's gonna stop ya. If you like the mold but not the character - get creative (kitbash). If you flat out don't like it. Speak with your wallet.

From the news, Hasbro wanted it to be someone else but Takara felt it needed to be Convoy so it would sell in Japan. Since the Ram isn't so ummm... available.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they do a repaint as Kup as someone pointed out. They could axe his original aqua blue/turquoise color scheme and just make it a light sky blue.

BTW how much bigger do you think Prime will stand in bot mode compared the rest of the Alts?

Either way, as I stated before, I will hopefully pick this guy up. I am not too impressed with the idea or the Prowl-esk bot mode but he is after all a Alternator. I don't think he will be displayed with the other Binaltechs in my collection (that honor is for MP Convoy) but will still make a nice collectors piece.

I hate the idea of waiting until next spring before we see him. Hopefully the Binaltech will be released much earlier like Grimlock was.

My opinion is this: All other Alternators got a new and/or updated model for their alt mode. 20th Ann. Prime's alt mode is not an upgrade. That's why I feel like there was more of a need for an Alternators Optimus Prime to be made. A truck is the obvious choice. Would some people rather him be an F-150? I'm sure. Would some others rather him be a Silverado? Definitely. The point is, they'll never please everyone and I think what they chose look good. The robot mode isn't being shown as it will be produced. Give it time.

He's mistransformed :monkey

I like em but that mold was obviously meant for Trailbreaker. look at that shoulders and chest. That's probably why they were cool with making Swindle.

The Jeep mold is meant to be TB!  C'mon, what sense does it make to call a 2wd street truck TRAILbreaker?!?!  Might as well take a sportscar and call it Runway or something.  This mold isnt bad for OP, but it needs a LOT of work. Good idea, but the legs suck ass. Articulation, anyone?

Takara would only make a truck if it was Optimus Prime. He's a compromise.

What? Someone's full-O-crap.  There most certainly ARE trucks in Japan! Probably not nearly as many as here, but I get Four Wheeler Magazine and Petersen's Four Wheel, and all the time someone from Japan is sending pics of their Toyota HiLux or Landcruiser or their Mitsubishi, Nissan, etc.  They didnt just start cranking out all these trucks for OUR amusement!  And besides, there's hardly a Jeep to be found in Japan, the VERY few that exist are supposedly being sold at Honda dealerships, yet Hound was one of the first molds they made. They for some reason just dont want to give us pickups and SUVs.

I like em but that mold was obviously meant for Trailbreaker. look at that shoulders and chest. That's probably why they were cool with making Swindle.

The Jeep mold is meant to be TB!  C'mon, what sense does it make to call a 2wd street truck TRAILbreaker?!?!  Might as well take a sportscar and call it Runway or something.  This mold isnt bad for OP, but it needs a LOT of work. Good idea, but the legs suck ass. Articulation, anyone?

What? Someone's full-O-crap.  There most certainly ARE trucks in Japan! I get Four Wheeler Magazine and Petersen's Four Wheel, and all the time someone from Japan is sending pics of their Toyota HiLux or Landcruiser or their Mitsubishi, Nissan, etc.  They didnt just start cranking out all these trucks for OUR amusement!  They for some reason just dont want to do them.

Well, they probably wouldn't want AMERICAN trucks. I can't see Optimus being of Japanese production. That just wouldn't make sense. Convoy? Oh, he probably could be.

What? Someone's full-O-crap.  There most certainly ARE trucks in Japan! I get Four Wheeler Magazine and Petersen's Four Wheel, and all the time someone from Japan is sending pics of their Toyota HiLux or Landcruiser or their Mitsubishi, Nissan, etc.  They didnt just start cranking out all these trucks for OUR amusement!  And besides, there's hardly a Jeep to be found in Japan, the VERY few that exist are supposedly being sold at Honda dealerships, yet Hound was one of the first molds they made. They for some reason just dont want to give us pickups and SUVs.

I didn't say there weren't any trucks in Japan. All I stated was what Hasbro claims for the reason the Ram is Prime.

What? Someone's full-O-crap.  There most certainly ARE trucks in Japan! I get Four Wheeler Magazine and Petersen's Four Wheel, and all the time someone from Japan is sending pics of their Toyota HiLux or Landcruiser or their Mitsubishi, Nissan, etc.  They didnt just start cranking out all these trucks for OUR amusement!  And besides, there's hardly a Jeep to be found in Japan, the VERY few that exist are supposedly being sold at Honda dealerships, yet Hound was one of the first molds they made. They for some reason just dont want to give us pickups and SUVs.

I didn't say there weren't any trucks in Japan. All I stated was what Hasbro claims for the reason the Ram is Prime.

I'm not saying you're the crap peddler, Im saying someone at Has/Tak is using that as an excuse.

Well, they probably wouldn't want AMERICAN trucks. I can't see Optimus being of Japanese production. That just wouldn't make sense. Convoy? Oh, he probably could be.

If he were a Titan or a Tundra, that wouldnt be so bad. But now some little dinky truck wouldnt work out. Like a Honda Ridgeline, which is really nothing more than an Odessy minivan with a truck-looking body.

I like it, and not just as an Alternator completist.  It's a nice looking pick-up truck and is appropriate for an Alternator Optimus Prime. 

I suppose if you don't like it, you can pretend it doesn't exist and use MP Optimus Prime.  However, MP Optimus Prime was never called Alternator Optimus Prime for a reason.  That toy was obviously made just as a special, anniversary Transformer and is clearly meant to be G1 show accurate.  He is not an update.  MP Optimus Prime is the answer to, "What if they spent a great deal of time and energy into making the greatest G1 Optimus Prime, ever?"

Archived