Re-issue Dinobot Giftset

Slagatron

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well takara reissued predaking and star convoy so its not that crazy an idea. i also agree that thier has to bee more then one mold of each so they cant all be broke

idd like to see robot master style dinobots rather then reissues tho

well takara reissued predaking and star convoy so its not that crazy an idea. i also agree that thier has to bee more then one mold of each so they cant all be broke

idd like to see robot master style dinobots rather then reissues tho

:pfx  :tfevil  I like that Idea much better then reissues cuz a reissue Dino set would be to expensive for my wallet

The mold broke?

They don't have just one mold for each toy: think about it- if that were the case, it would take themn forever to manufacture enough toys.

I think HasTak just doesn't want to spend the money retooling worn molds for another run.

But how many of those molds did they actually keep?  A lot of the older molds got sent to other countries once they got worn, and were then used to make licensed product to be sold in that country. (I have no idea if this is still done currently.)  If they're always offloading worn molds, how many ones of decent quality are going to still be around after 20+ years? And in cases like Wheeljack and Sunstreaker... they were some of the few that weren't given remolds to begin with, which makes me think that the diaclone molds were in bad shape already by the time Transformers started.  If HasTak didn't like the molds enough 20 years ago to restore them then, when they were guaranteed to sell, I have serious doubts about having anything workable enough today to be worth restoring for a limited audience.

All of these molds have already PAID for themselves well over and over.

so anything that Has-Tak-Omy sells at this point is PURE profit.....

That profit is 20 years in the books.  Any cost incurred now will be weighed against projected income from sales, regardless of how much money they've made in the past using that mold. And with the Dinobots, you've got some of the more complex transformations in G1, so manufacturing costs would be higher than, say, a Seeker or one of the Datsuns.  Also, the Dinobots were unique... no getting multiple characters out of the same mold.  I can see maybe enough people buying Grimlock to offset the cost of restoration and manufacture, even at a price point of $50 (remember the Commemorative series retailed for ~$30 originally, and this is a more complex mold).  But how many people are going to buy a Slag or a Snarl at that price?  Let alone a giftset that will most likely be prohibitively expensive for most collectors?  Someone in charge at HasTak made a decision that a rerelease wouldn't be worth the investment, and they're probably right.  As much as I would love to see every single 1984 TF get a quality rerelease, it's probably not going to happen.  There's simply not enough of us to make it worth HasTak's while.

On a side note, Hellion and Madhammer seem to be thinking along the same lines.  The world will end shortly. :lol

The mold broke?

They don't have just one mold for each toy: think about it- if that were the case, it would take themn forever to manufacture enough toys.

I think HasTak just doesn't want to spend the money retooling worn molds for another run.

But how many of those molds did they actually keep?  A lot of the older molds got sent to other countries once they got worn, and were then used to make licensed product to be sold in that country. (I have no idea if this is still done currently.)  If they're always offloading worn molds, how many ones of decent quality are going to still be around after 20+ years? And in cases like Wheeljack and Sunstreaker... they were some of the few that weren't given remolds to begin with, which makes me think that the diaclone molds were in bad shape already by the time Transformers started.  If HasTak didn't like the molds enough 20 years ago to restore them then, when they were guaranteed to sell, I have serious doubts about having anything workable enough today to be worth restoring for a limited audience.

All of these molds have already PAID for themselves well over and over.

so anything that Has-Tak-Omy sells at this point is PURE profit.....

That profit is 20 years in the books.  Any cost incurred now will be weighed against projected income from sales, regardless of how much money they've made in the past using that mold. And with the Dinobots, you've got some of the more complex transformations in G1, so manufacturing costs would be higher than, say, a Seeker or one of the Datsuns.  Also, the Dinobots were unique... no getting multiple characters out of the same mold.  I can see maybe enough people buying Grimlock to offset the cost of restoration and manufacture, even at a price point of $50 (remember the Commemorative series retailed for ~$30 originally, and this is a more complex mold).  But how many people are going to buy a Slag or a Snarl at that price?  Let alone a giftset that will most likely be prohibitively expensive for most collectors?  Someone in charge at HasTak made a decision that a rerelease wouldn't be worth the investment, and they're probably right.  As much as I would love to see every single 1984 TF get a quality rerelease, it's probably not going to happen.  There's simply not enough of us to make it worth HasTak's while.

On a side note, Hellion and Madhammer seem to be thinking along the same lines.  The world will end shortly. :lol

My comments were in response to people who keep claiming that its Soo expensive to restore a mold when the companies are pumping out NEW molds all the time - it Cant be that expensive.

What i would like to see is more Homages within the mainlines and more Accurate Alternators -

I love my E-Wheeljack (or downshift or whoever he is) - Now give me a good sunstreaker.  No kid is going to pass on a figure because its a Homage (they wont even notice) but it will pull in the collectors.

I think the Grimlock/Swoop set could have been Awsome had they not been forced into "Power Linking" hell....

Hunter

My comments were in response to people who keep claiming that its Soo expensive to restore a mold when the companies are pumping out NEW molds all the time - it Cant be that expensive.

It's about return on investment: making colorful, articulate new toys for everyone vs. restoring old bricks for collectors that today's kids will pass over.  Plus the cost of "commemorative" packaging and diecast... equals a higher priced toy, lower chance of a casual buy, lower profit margin.  It's not just the price of the mold (which IS expensive to make properly), it's the cost of production as well, all put up against projected sales. edit for clarification: saying "the mold is broken" or "it's expensive" is easier for HasTak than explaining economic theory :thumb

What i would like to see is more Homages within the mainlines and more Accurate Alternators - I love my E-Wheeljack (or downshift or whoever he is) - Now give me a good sunstreaker.  No kid is going to pass on a figure because its a Homage (they wont even notice) but it will pull in the collectors.

:pfx 100%

I'd just like to see *new* Transformers that can become classics in time, instead of always pining for past releases. JMO

We've seen many more new TFs than rereleases in the past 5 years.  Becoming a classic takes time. :lol

Archived