Thoughts on TFU

Galzamus

It's kinda hard for me to say if this line is any good at all, to be honest. I guess if the colors weren't so off the wall most of the time.. and if there was a little less RID Prowl in it too.. it could be a lot better.

Although, I am a proud owner of the Optimus Primal.. being I didn't have a chance back in the day to get one with all the peices.. I figured now was a good enough chance to get one.. I'm also been interested in Razorclaw for god nows how long.. just because I think it would be cool to have a black and a white tigerhawk..but other than that, I don't see any 'must haves' in this line.. just a bunch of horid repaints (there's a difference between GOOD repaints and bad ones) that do nothing for the characters at all. Purple Silverbolt? I think not..

Anyone else have any comments?

Hm, I'm almost on the same line. Universe is an easy way to get some molds you weren't able to get in the first place, or molds you already own, but would like to repaint yourself.

Some of the repaints are really bad (RiD Optimus Prime comes to mind), while others are nice. It's really a hit and miss situation. That in combination with the severly fluctuating quality of the figures makes it a hard line to like.

I plan on buying the comics from the otfcc website in the near future and maybe then, with a story arc, the line will grow on me. Doubt it though: again another story of the Transformers with Unicron. (Can anyone say "been there, done that"?)

I love this line for the earlier stuff it has given us. Especially for Reptillion, Razorclaw and Skywarp. Tankor, Obsidian and Blackarachinia are also notable.

For the ones I don't own. King Atlas is well painted, im excited about the minicon repaints, Fireflight is nice.

Im more disapointed with the stuff thats going to be cranked out soon like the variants of Prowl and Sideburn. I don't mind variants too much but we already got these molds in Universe during wave 2. They could have at least waited much longer and also have been more creative with them. Also Im not sure what to say about Ramjet. I like him but the fact that he lacks painted symbols makes his toy feel cheap.

Not many of them have really appealed to me. Razorclaw was cool, but more should have been changed to his mold. The best thing that they did was putting the dinobots in the line. The "Triceridon" mold is one of hte coolest. Silverbolt was a really cool mode, but with such a horrible paint scheme, I refused to spend good money on him. These "Battle Boxes" show much potential.

The exclusives are all junk. The mass release items are all gold, IMO.

Of the Universe figures I've bought:

Razorclaw - very cool (although underpainted, in comparison)

Reptilion - some very nice metallic washes and a pleasing colourscheme. Bright green, yes, but it works really well for a reptilian robot.

Blackarachnia - also very nice. Has an interesting iridescent kinda purple paint, looks really good.

Snarl - Badass colour scheme

Striker - some more nice washes, this time with a light gold dusting to bring some variation the the skin tones.

Triceradon - beautiful. Very natural looking dino-apps, and I'm glad that Hasbro kept the robot mode very subdued looking, rather than having the urge to use some bright fluorescent highlight colours (not saying those bright colours are bad, works wonders for Reptilion and Blackarachnia).

I like Universe, because it gives me the chance to pick up cool molds I've never owned. But it's not worth much more to me, either. If you like it, go for it. If you don't, well...don't.

I like Universe, because it gives me the chance to pick up cool molds I've never owned.

Yeah, but it's releasing some crappy molds, and sme that have been recolored about 3 times.

Also, the store exclusives seem to be alittle too exclusive, ie Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus (RiD molds).

Also, the store exclusives seem to be alittle too exclusive, ie Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus (RiD molds).

Damn right.

And the last exclusives that could have been good, the Wal-Mart Dinobots and the Destructicons, had quality control problems out the wazoo. The last good exclusive was Dreadwind and Smokejumper.

Archived