Transformers Cybertron cartoon

Jaguaratron

Well I am watching it today again and though the voice acting is poor I wonder if it is the scripts they are given that is the overruling factor as to why this really bugs me.  For example today Ransack and Crumplezone met Megatron and had a very brief scuffle (ok thats beleiveable, they are bad natured robots) but all that was said was "My name is Megatron, now your work for me" "ok boss whatever you say" :wtf

Or maybe they just recognized how much of a badass Megatron was and didn't want to get stomped into paste.

I find it moderately implausable that some intergalactic `badass` despot who is reputed to be moderately inteligent (tech specs) would have a recruiting drive which consisted of punching people in the face. (yeah yeah, he may have `researched` who they were blah blah, but nothing of this was shown and illustrates huge plot holes)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the kids are dominating again.

It is true that the kids are present a lot, but they are nowhere near as annoying as they were in Armada or Energon IMO. And, for the first time in a while, Optimus is not letting the kids go on dangerous missions (and not getting ordered around like he was with Kicker).

one of the worst things though are the accents. nothing against Australians some of my family are but it just sounds awful. its like when energon ended prime had to go do some paper work to explain what happened to megatron and all the other characters thought hay i know lets go on holiday to the outback untill the new series.

There's one character with an Australian accent, Jetfire. The rest have Southern U.S. accents (Scattorshot, Thundercracker), British accents (Red alert), quasi-French accents (Backstop), or no accent at all (the majority of the characters). It makes the characters a little more distinct. People also tend to forget that many G1 characters had accents as well.

its another japanese cartoon designed for the asian market being poorly adapted for the west. if the usa just designed a series with good figures and plot with huge explosions keeping human interferance to minimal. the biggest problem though is dumbing down. they need to cut the comedy and make it a lot more mature.

It's a good mix of comedy and seriousness. I think the jokes work more often than not, and I don't think it takes away from seriousness of the situations.

Now, I didn't like Cybertron when I saw the first episode (or the fourth, as it were). I was confused as many were, at first. But, I read posts that brought me up to speed on what the Omega Lock was, how Megatron got the map to the Cyber Planet Keys, etc. and kept an open mind. I gave the show a little time to grow on me, and now I'm a staunch supporter of it.

If you watch a couple more episodes, keep an open mind, don't compare it to Beast Wars or whatever your pinnacle of Transformers storytelling is, and you still don't like it, that's cool. I'm just saying don't let the stigma of Armada and Energon cloud your views on Cybertron, and give it a chance to grow on you. You may end up with a show you enjoy and look forward to each week.

OK, rant over. *feels like he's fighting a losing battle against the Cybertron hate* :tfgrin

Well I am watching it today again and though the voice acting is poor I wonder if it is the scripts they are given that is the overruling factor as to why this really bugs me.  For example today Ransack and Crumplezone met Megatron and had a very brief scuffle (ok thats beleiveable, they are bad natured robots) but all that was said was "My name is Megatron, now your work for me" "ok boss whatever you say" :wtf

Or maybe they just recognized how much of a badass Megatron was and didn't want to get stomped into paste.

I find it moderately implausable that some intergalactic `badass` despot who is reputed to be moderately inteligent (tech specs) would have a recruiting drive which consisted of punching people in the face. (yeah yeah, he may have `researched` who they were blah blah, but nothing of this was shown and illustrates huge plot holes)

He shows different approaches of recruiting allies depending on the recruit.

*vague spoiler*

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

He meets up with a powerful Transformer like himself later on and uses his intelligence rather than his brawn to bring him on board, unlike Starscream who wonders why Megatron didn't just lay him out and be done with it.

the kids are dominating again.

It is true that the kids are present a lot, but they are nowhere near as annoying as they were in Armada or Energon IMO. And, for the first time in a while, Optimus is not letting the kids go on dangerous missions (and not getting ordered around like he was with Kicker).

one of the worst things though are the accents. nothing against Australians some of my family are but it just sounds awful. its like when energon ended prime had to go do some paper work to explain what happened to megatron and all the other characters thought hay i know lets go on holiday to the outback untill the new series.

There's one character with an Australian accent, Jetfire. The rest have Southern U.S. accents (Scattorshot, Thundercracker), British accents (Red alert), quasi-French accents (Backstop), or no accent at all (the majority of the characters). It makes the characters a little more distinct. People also tend to forget that many G1 characters had accents as well.

its another japanese cartoon designed for the asian market being poorly adapted for the west. if the usa just designed a series with good figures and plot with huge explosions keeping human interferance to minimal. the biggest problem though is dumbing down. they need to cut the comedy and make it a lot more mature.

It's a good mix of comedy and seriousness. I think the jokes work more often than not, and I don't think it takes away from seriousness of the situations.

Now, I didn't like Cybertron when I saw the first episode (or the fourth, as it were). I was confused as many were, at first. But, I read posts that brought me up to speed on what the Omega Lock was, how Megatron got the map to the Cyber Planet Keys, etc. and kept an open mind. I gave the show a little time to grow on me, and now I'm a staunch supporter of it.

If you watch a couple more episodes, keep an open mind, don't compare it to Beast Wars or whatever your pinnacle of Transformers storytelling is, and you still don't like it, that's cool. I'm just saying don't let the stigma of Armada and Energon cloud your views on Cybertron, and give it a chance to grow on you. You may end up with a show you enjoy and look forward to each week.

OK, Rant over. *feels like he's fighting a losing battle against the Cybertron hate* :tfgrin

I love Galaxy Force. BUT, I love Cybertron even more,  because I can understand what everyone's saying. I know the voices could be better. A LOT better, but IMO, being able to understand the characters without reading constantly overrides the bad voice acting. Overall, I'm a Cybertron supporter too.

Then again, I've never found what was so appealing about subtitled shows at all. How can ppl tell if a voice matches the charactrer or not if they don't understand what's being said? And if they can understand, why need subtitles at all? Why not just go for the raw version instead? I'd think having a show in your native language is far better than not having a clue what's being said and trying to keep up with the words which destract you from the animation and what's physically going on.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of subtitled shows, but the ones which are ONLY available as subs. Does ANYONE agree with me?

I think the problem is - that with a Good Actor - you can still understand what is going on.

Toshiro Mifune was a great Actor that was able to communicate well across language boundaries - i have never heard him speak a word of english.

The same could be said of Good Theater or silent film stars - is the acting "realistic"? not even remotely -but it is communicative and "REAL".

The preference then is - in Japanese these characters be they Giant Robots or Kabuki dancers - have an integrety to them. A sense of Drama and REAL-ism that trancends subtitles and communicates to the viewer.

When done well - Dubbed shows do this as well.

TheargumenthereisthatCybertronisjustabunchofpeoplereadingstifflyfromapieceofpape

.... inenglishyesbutthisdoesnotmeanthattheyare Comunicating well.

Hunter

I love Galaxy Force. BUT, I love Cybertron even more,  because I can understand what everyone's saying. I know the voices could be better. A LOT better, but IMO, being able to understand the characters without reading constantly overrides the bad voice acting. Overall, I'm a Cybertron supporter too.

Then again, I've never found what was so appealing about subtitled shows at all. How can ppl tell if a voice matches the charactrer or not if they don't understand what's being said? And if they can understand, why need subtitles at all? Why not just go for the raw version instead? I'd think having a show in your native language is far better than not having a clue what's being said and trying to keep up with the words which destract you from the animation and what's physically going on.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of subtitled shows, but the ones which are ONLY available as subs. Does ANYONE agree with me?

There's a lot to a voice.  Delivery, inflection, and just how a voice matches its speaker.  Listen to Starscream in Galaxy Force.  He's perfect for the role.  His voice completely reflects what the character stands for, and is "all about."  If you were surrounded by people speaking a language you didn't understand, you'd still be able to pick up on things like tone and inflection.  How something is said is every bit as vital as what is being said.

I don't mean to imply you are a slow reader, but a lot of people I know have absolutely no problem reading or keeping up with subtitles.  Ideally, you'll forget you're reading subtitles at all, after a while.  This is true of me.  On the other hand, I've never been big into reading books because I can never get fully immersed in the experience.  I'm always constantly aware that I'm reading a book.  It's uncomfortable, to me.  Television is another medium, of course, and reading as I watch is altogether different for me.  I also watch television with closed captioning on, and I always read it.  Why?  It's just a preference; I can't justify it beyond that.

I don't watch Cybertron thinking it's going to be the next beastwars.. but believe me, there's much worse.. Yugioh comes to mind.

Yu gi oh has inane lines in it and bizare situations but the VA has life and drama in it

and I agree entirely with HunterRose ;)

There's a lot to a voice.  Delivery, inflection, and just how a voice matches its speaker.  Listen to Starscream in Galaxy Force.  He's perfect for the role.  His voice completely reflects what the character stands for, and is "all about."  If you were surrounded by people speaking a language you didn't understand, you'd still be able to pick up on things like tone and inflection.  How something is said is every bit as vital as what is being said.

I don't mean to imply you are a slow reader, but a lot of people I know have absolutely no problem reading or keeping up with subtitles.  Ideally, you'll forget you're reading subtitles at all, after a while.  This is true of me.  On the other hand, I've never been big into reading books because I can never get fully immersed in the experience.  I'm always constantly aware that I'm reading a book.  It's uncomfortable, to me.  Television is another medium, of course, and reading as I watch is altogether different for me.  I also watch television with closed captioning on, and I always read it.  Why?  It's just a preference; I can't justify it beyond that.

Though I am used to watching subs, the text still bothers me a little, and when watching the dub version, I feel like a weight has been lifted from me. Don't get me wrong, I like to read... but to me, it's still a whole different experience.

Archived