Sellers in Asia

speedcake

Maybe a dumb question, but eh. What the heck. How careful do I need to be if dealing with sellers in places like Singapore or Hong Kong? I keep finding neato Japanese stuff available from these sellers, like the item in the link below, but am wary of dealing with them. If this is unfounded I'd like to know. If anyone has any tips, that'd be great too.

My concern is bootlegs, fakes. I don't want any.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MISB-Transformers-Nucl...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've dealt once with a seller from eBay (Ministry of Toys) for my MIB Deszaras and the service was great!  I've heard other people have problems with the same seller so I dunno.  Also dealt with (twice) various sellers from Hong Kong and didn't have any problems there.  Then again, all the things I've bought were never reissued or have any known bootlegs.

Watch out for the shipping.  Sometimes it'll kill ya!  Packages coming from abroad are subject to searches.  Make sure you get insurance on anything you get from overseas of value because you never know what can happen.

If you're looking for video games or soundtracks, there are a ton of bootlegs out there and the seller may not be reputable enough to be honest (or even know about it) so be careful in these departments.  As for TFs, with the recent reissue/bootleg surge you might want to tread a bit more carefully as well.  Good luck!

Dealing with sellers in asia is always a crap shoot when you first start out.  However, your best bet is to make small 'inexpensive' purchases from a few until you find a really reliable source or two and then continue to utilize them.

I think Jag and I are a couple of people on here that do a great deal of business with asian contacts.  Not only do I buy TFs from them but I also deal with them for my job as well.  It is hit and miss.  Just like with any other ebayer however, a bunch of good feedback is always a good thing.

Dealing with sellers in asia is always a crap shoot when you first start out.  However, your best bet is to make small 'inexpensive' purchases from a few until you find a really reliable source or two and then continue to utilize them.

I think Jag and I are a couple of people on here that do a great deal of business with asian contacts.  Not only do I buy TFs from them but I also deal with them for my job as well.  It is hit and miss.  Just like with any other ebayer however, a bunch of good feedback is always a good thing.

Thanks for the info so far, guys.

Who would you recommend I deal with?

I wouldnt recomend ministry of toys, after the post and the name rang a bell so I did a bit of researching and found this http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/tfm3m.html look under Ebay: Fakers and Ripoffs and you will see Ministry of toys mentions, this kind of puts me off dealing despite their cool stuff. I hear a lot of complaints about asia sellers particularly from the asia contacts I have myself, a lot of them hate dealing with other asia contacts.  Just got to be careful.

That's good advice. I've bought a few things from Hong Kong and Singapore and haven't gotten burned yet. I've avoided sellers from China, though, as many of the bootlegs passed off as authentic items have come from there.

I wouldnt recomend ministry of toys, after the post and the name rang a bell so I did a bit of researching and found this http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/tfm3m.html look under Ebay: Fakers and Ripoffs and you will see Ministry of toys mentions, this kind of puts me off dealing despite their cool stuff. I hear a lot of complaints about asia sellers particularly from the asia contacts I have myself, a lot of them hate dealing with other asia contacts.  Just got to be careful.

That was a long time ago.  They have been reliable for me and for others I know.  Trust me, I have been buying expensive items from overseas.  Right Jag!!!  ;)

Archived