G1 Original vs. Re-Issue

speedcake

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are very subtle differences between the originals and the reissues....

example - G1 Inferno, the original had yellow eyes, the reissue has blue eyes.

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. thanks.

Also, if you do a little research, you can find out which one have been reissued and which ones haven't.

Well yeah, of course. But considering I'm not interested only in the ones that have not yet been re-issued, this advice is only useful for those. :)

It's super easy to tell with the stamps. Yes, the date is the same as the originals, but the country is not the same! The reissues are all made in China. Almost all the originals were made in Japan or Macau.

Not always. I checked out that unknown Smokescreen vs a known US reissue and a known original. I found out it was an original.

Original US release Smokescreen has a circle on the opposite leg than the one with the copyright stamp. On the reissue, that circle is not present, and it says "Hasbro 2002." The copyright stamp is the same on both. Also the pre-applied sticker on the front (grill) is different. The reissue has larger black squares than the original. I'll have to check out Tracks later, and maybe even take pictures!

Not always. I checked out that unknown Smokescreen vs a known US reissue and a known original. I found out it was an original.

Original US release Smokescreen has a circle on the opposite leg than the one with the copyright stamp. On the reissue, that circle is not present, and it says "Hasbro 2002." The copyright stamp is the same on both. Also the pre-applied sticker on the front (grill) is different. The reissue has larger black squares than the original. I'll have to check out Tracks later, and maybe even take pictures!

Pictures = super

It's super easy to tell with the stamps. Yes, the date is the same as the originals, but the country is not the same! The reissues are all made in China. Almost all the originals were made in Japan or Macau.

Most of the G1 originals were stamped "Taiwan" only some had "Japan" or "Macau"  All reissues are stamped "China"

Also, I believe most of the originals had screw joints, where the reissues have pin joints (ie: no slot on the pin for a screwdriver to remove the pin).  At least that's a difference from my G2 Jazz to my reissue Jazz.

Archived