G1 Original vs. Re-Issue

speedcake

I have a question, but not sure this is the correct forum. If not, someone please kindly let me know or move the thread.

I am looking into beginning my G1 collection in earnest. However, I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with buying G1 stuff on ebay only to find that what they get is really a loose re-issue?

I just see an aweful lot of bots in "really great shape, 100% complete!" and can't help being a bit suspicious. If my fears are unfounded or you think this is a really stupid issue to be having, by all means let me know! I won't be offended. :)

However, if there is some way to be able to tell them apart I'd also like that info. Something tells me there really isn't, but eh...worth a shot to ask.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the bidder is trustworthy, he shouldn't have any problem with sending you a close-up picture of the year on the figure.  If it's molded with 1987 or whatever, you know you're in the clear :thumb.

If the bidder is trustworthy, he shouldn't have any problem with sending you a close-up picture of the year on the figure.  If it's molded with 1987 or whatever, you know you're in the clear :thumb.

I was told that some still have the 1987 on them.  I really don't know since I don't any ressiues. :tfsad

Some have differences. Like Grapple's bumper is different. But I got a Smokescreen a couple weeks ago and it was the reissue. It was broken (the back windows) so I didn't think it was the re-issue but the rub-sign looked different. I will have to look at my other Smokescreen to see how close the rubsign is to the original. Overall the toys looked way too new, no paint chips or sticker problems, but it was broken. It's not like it really matters to me, I'll gladly swap a re-issue for an original, and especially use them to repair originals.

Because, like, you can't really tell the difference. Same as you can't tell the difference between some Diaclone and first year TFs. And there isn't any difference between the US, Mexican, Italian or Japenese Constructicons, does that mean I can't get 4 of each and it would really be the same? The only real difference is the boxes, and that is the hardest part to get!

thanks for the replies so far, guys. Mucho difference of opinion so far! 

Keep the thoughts coming, please.

Pay no more than re-issue prices & you can't go far wrong!

There are very subtle differences between the originals and the reissues....

example - G1 Inferno, the original had yellow eyes, the reissue has blue eyes.

Archived