Mini-rant

Hearse

Just a quick observation or two...

We sure do love complaining about repaints (Universe) and retools (Alts)...

BUT...some of Transformers' most-loved, most base characters were repaints.

Smokescreen/Bluestreak/Prowl

Lazerbeak/Buzzsaw

Rumble/Frenzy

Hoist/Trailbreaker

Grapple/Inferno

Starscream/Thundercracker/Skywarp

Red alert/Sideswipe

Magnus/Prime

See? Repaints aren't THAT bad...

Also- who says an Alt. Sunstreaker has to be a retool of Sideswipe? In G1, he didn't share the mold, or even the same transformation orientation...

Just my two cents...play nice.

I don't mind repaints as new characters as much as super versions of the previous scheme.  The 3 car brothers in RiD were ok, but the armada and energon way was just too much, IMO.

More I tell you.... I want more repaints of great models such as Armada Sideswipe :roll

Depends on if the repaint is improved from the original or retooled in a way that it can be easily identified as a new character.

Personally I don't bother with many repaints. The only one I bought from all of Armada was Hotshot, but that was only because he was on clearence and the colours rocked. Energon probably saw the most repaints of any serries. Nearly all the basics, deluxes, and Megas were repainted or retooled in someway at least once. I actually broke down and bought the Starscream repaint, Inferno repaint retool, and encapped a Quickstrike which far exceeds the Springer homage in coolness IMO. Oh and Unicron because it was $20 at the time otherwise I would have never gone for him.

Cybertron is releasing last I counted at least five repaints. Four from Armada, and one from Energon. The armada ones are retooled so they no longer require minicon assistance, and with the subtle retooling look to be somewhat improved over the originals so easily worth buying IMO. The fact that there being released as new characters also sealed the deal.

As for the Cybertron line itself the oly repaints I have seen are the 3 Rumble variations meaning everything else is a new mold or an upgrade of that original character. It kinda sucks it's the same charater but at leat it's not a lame repaint for the sake of just releasing a G1 Homage. Ironhide, and Cliffjumper were horrible, and I'm not about to buy the mold again just so I can have Hound, and Beachcomber in the Energon line.  Towline however was awsome and depending if it's domestic or not I'd buy him both as Ironhide, and Ratchet.

It's easy to say that the G1 repaints are classics *now*, but back then I would rather have had original molds instead of repaints. That's one reason why I only got one Decepticon jet (they didn't used to be called "seekers" back then) -- I didn't think there was much point in getting more than one. As a matter of fact, I don't think I had any G1 repaints (meaning, more than one version of the same mold).

And re: Sideswipe / Sunstreaker, the fact is that repaints are a fact of life in the Alt/BT universe, and the only way two characters are going to have the same alt mode is if they share the same mold. And the difference between Alt Sunstreaker and Alt Sideswipe's alt modes is appropriate IMO, given the difference between their alt modes in G1.

It isn't that repaints suck, it is that there are repaints of almost every single mold. If they picked only the worthy molds, then that would be ok. I loved the repaint of BT Smokes into Silverstreak and obviously the repaint of Energon Omega Supreme into Omega Sentinal was great.

Basically, when the repaints improve the figure then they are definitely worth it, when they are just so that HasTakTomy can suck that mold dry (ie Alt Swerve), then they suck.

Also, they need to make the mold into another, better character as opposed to a "powerlink" whatever, that is just lazy.

That is my two cents (or so).

The difference is that in the fledgling days of G1, the 84 line (chock full of repaints) was just a test. They didn't know if TFs would sell over here so they had to go to extra lengths to minimize their costs. Without the repaints 84 would have consisted of exactly 16 Autobots and 6 Decepticons. The Autobots would have been OK but the bad guys would have been hurting.  Granted they had some other molds on hand but they had to have something "new" in store for 85. Repaints were a neccessary evil to make sure the line worked. Transformers were much more costly to make than any Star Wars figure. What sucks is that now, they don't need to make as many repaints. They are just doing it to do it. I realize that we don't have to buy them. Mostly I don't. But they still clog up the aisles, holding back the new stuff we want.

There, done.

What suck

The difference is that in the fledgling days of G1, the 84 line (chock full of repaints) was just a test. They didn't know if TFs would sell over here so they had to go to extra lengths to minimize their costs. Without the repaints 84 would have consisted of exactly 16 Autobots and 6 Decepticons. The Autobots would have been OK but the bad guys would have been hurting.  Granted they had some other molds on hand but they had to have something "new" in store for 85. Repaints were a neccessary evil to make sure the line worked. Transformers were much more costly to make than any Star Wars figure. What sucks is that now, they don't need to make as many repaints. They are just doing it to do it. I realize that we don't have to buy them. Mostly I don't. But they still clog up the aisles, holding back the new stuff we want.

There, done.

What suck

Nice thought, but they were already repaint-crazy in the Diaclone days.

Sorry if it's already been said, but when it's a limited line of transformers to begin with, that's where repaints suck. Galaxy Force is getting to be a good size selection of bots, so a repaint is not out of the question.

Repaints should just be done if it's something to add a variant only, not to add an "new" character or bot to the toy line.

Archived