G1 Reissues

Alpha_Trion

are there any major differences between the TRU ones and the Takara ones, I'm going to start collecting the reissues very soon when I can get some extra cash. Also can anyone tell me which ones Takara reissued that Hasbro did not I'm just trying to see which I'll have to get from Takara and which from TRU. I know I'll have to go thru Ebay to get a lot of the older ones. Actually I wish I had 700 bucks to afford this set here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3&category=4696 Another thing I want to ask is are you able to take the reissues out of their boxes and play with them then put them back. I've gotten that impression about them with some of the posts I've read.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Takara Reissues don't have circumcised smokestacks, and the missiles are original size, not enlarged due to safety standards.

As for reissues done by Takara and not Hasbro, Sideswipe and Skids for sure. Also Ironhide and Ratchet, although these two weren't made in very large numbers at all. Hmm, the Season two seekers, except Dirge who was just released by Hasbro...Soundwave... and Megatron of course. I think that's just about it, although there could be a couple more.

is there anything really majorly different about the packaging of the two as in the way they are sealed etc or is it just one is japanese with different art and a few different accessories

If you're going to want a Megatron, you'l definatly have to get the Takara one, Hasbro almost certainly won't reissue him. He's worth the cash if you have it. Also, you will probibly have to go to Takara for the minibots, unless you can live with the Hasbro keychains

I'm not sure about the Hasbro boxes, but the Takara boxes can be opened simply by slicing the factory tape, and put back as good as new.

It's mostly down to personal choice really.

EDIT: oh, and none of the Takara reissues have twisty-ties. :thumb

Here's what Takara have released in their Transformers Collection (book style) line:

0: Convoy

1: Jazz

2: Prowl

3: Skids

4: Tracks

5: Smokescreen

6: Megatron

7: Sideswipe

8: Inferno

9: Starscream

10: Soundwave

11: Astrotrain

12: Minibots

The main differences are the spring loaded missiles; in terms of paintschemes I think they're the same.

The last two are pretty widely available still, but the rest are getting scarce. I use http://www.hlj.com, and the first 10 keep popping up then disappearing again, so I'm not sure what's going on. I heard there was a going to be a new production run of all of them, but I'm not sure if that's been and gone or not.

Other than that, Takara released a whole crapload before this line in the old style packaging; some I can remember are Hoist, Trailbreaker, Hot Rod. There's lots more, but I imagine they'd be almost impossible to find now. Still, hopefully they'll turn up in the Collection.

I plan on looking on ebay for most of the reissues, They seem to be fairly reasonable prices. I think I'll buy the entire Takara set as well as get the Hasbro Reissues just to have both collections.

you know, the more I look at the differences between the Hasbro and Takara reissues the Takara box art as well as the fact that they are almost 100% true reissues not modified to comply with the toy nazis rules and regulations like the Hasbro versions are. I think I'll be buying the Takara set and only buying the Hasbro ones for the stuff Takara hasn't reissued.

By the way while I was browsing on Ebay I saw the "new years edition" megatron come up several times. Is that an actual variation on the regular number 6 megatron or are they one in the same and it's just someones excuse for jacking up the price.

the actual new years edition megatron has blue inside the legs instead of red and he comes with a yellow energon mace. I've seen some people listing the TF Collection Megatron as New Years Megatron, though.

There are minor differences from the originals in both the hasbro and takara releases. Almost all of the Takara releases have some part or accessory that is cast in a different color plastic from the original. The hasbro ones either have oversized missiles (mainly on the seekers) or the missiles and accessories that were originally chromed aren't on the reissue. (I was able to compare the JPN and US Prowl, for example, and the JPN Prowl reissue had chromed missiles while the us one had black ones). My advice is to pick up the takara releases that are available and fill the gaps with the US ones.

thats what I was planning on doing after some thought. I'm going to start rebuilding my G1 collection with the reissues and go from there. I hope to by the time I'm done have every G1 toy I used to own and more.

Yeah I have Takara Reissue Optimus, Megatron, Soundwave, skids, in the bood style, and Rodimus Prime reissue in the G1 stlyle box.

From Hasbro I have Silverstreak, and Red alert. The boxes are similar in storage, they allow you to cut the tape open them and store them back in the original boxs with no problem at all.

And with TRU selling reissues fro 29-30 bucks, you can spend some more on shipping and get the ones from Takara for about the same price.

Archived