TF art Q & A

Blitz

the concept about this thead is a basic ask a question leave a question regarding TF art e.g. I say "how do i do eye glows" then some one ansers "in photo shop I......." then they can leave a question ifd they want

to start off i wanna know how big are the pro pics done by don for box art i have a nagging feeling that i draw to small making my lines look a little chunky and not well defined and maybe thats whats holding me back. right now i draw about the size of a A4 sheet so its easy to scan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good idea for a thread

i know that for comic sequential pages artists typically use 11"x17" sheets of heavy, high-quality art paper called Bristol board. Bristol board comes in two "tooths" (surface texture), Plate (which is smoother) and Vellum (which is rougher)

You can buy that at art stores or order them online [you can buy them pre-ruled online]

i'd think that for single character stuff they might use paper around that size, that way they can get some good detailing, although i'm sure it varies. Maybe i'll ask Don and see what he says

You can also use a finer pencil lead (or lead holder with sharpener handy) when in the final cleanup phase of your drawing. This helps because you don't have to spend more time drawing a bigger picture. Just use a kneaded eraser on your loose pencils to lighten them. Then redraw with the finer point and a little bit more patience :P

You can further clean up your art in Photoshop by adjusting the levels on your linework to kill the lighter lines (and pencil smudge) while enhancing the darker ones :)

SS_Minnow

good idea for a thread

i know that for comic sequential pages artists typically use 11"x17"

thanks. ive been looking at the bristol stuff it ant cheap is it but i supose i have to pay for quality

good idea for a thread

i know that for comic sequential pages artists typically use 11"x17"

thanks. ive been looking at the bristol stuff it ant cheap is it but i supose i have to pay for quality

yeah

i bought myself a bristol art pad awhile back and it was definately some awesome paper. i love drawing on it

• 4 months later...

Ok - I'll bite

How do you make Eye Glow?

I am currently doing a comic in INH using Sully's INH-Kids

Its fairly complex and have figured out a LOT of stuff just through trial and error.

but i have a hard time with glows - be they Eye glow or Auras.

I am using Adobe PhotoDeluxe by the way

Thanks

Hunter

ok ill field this one

not sure exactly if this will work with photodelux but heres how i was taught ;)

you make a layer above your line art and set it to hard light

then using an airbrush at around 40% opacity you spray around the the object you want to glow with the colour you want. though i generally use a paler version of the colour of the object. then change your colour to white and spray in the the center of your object.

or if you want super bright glows (i do alot) just keep the opacity at 100 but change the flow to about 50

hope that helps

Somebody say paper?

For paper, 11X17 Blue Line Pro bristol comic book paper. Blue Line Pro is sold in packs of 24 for about $16.00 at any comic shop. If they don't carry it, simply ask them to order it for you. Its very smooth and very soft, so its best to sketch out your project before you lay down the pencil on the BLP, that way you dont get a bunch of pencil lines if you mess up and need to erase.

Archived