Quit Whinging

Haggisjin

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up with the original generation of Transformers. I liked them then and I like them now. If I had today's Transformers back then, I probably would have picked them over their former selves. BUT!... we didn't have them back then. Just because the originals have been surpassed does not make them obsolete. That's what makes them "collectibles." They are still enjoyable toys. They are original and hold a lot of sentimental value to many of us. I doubt I'd be too quick to go jumping on the G1 hater bandwagon just because some of the toys today are pretty cool too. It's just bad karma. History is very important in the evolution of fandoms. Just ask Star Wars fans.

I couldnt care really about homages, in the right context they can be cool and a joy to behold but if there is a well designed figure that looks cool IMO I will get it regardless of wether they call it `Deceptisphincter` or `Drag Strip` ;)

Homages are used to bridge the gap between collectors of today and collectors of old. It gives new toys old life and is a very sound marketing strategy. It's when they mess it up that people normally get mad. It doesn't make much sense to say, make a toy that looks like Wheeljack, but then call him Downshift. I know there are reasons they did it, but it just makes things confusing. BTW, Generation One is far far far from dead. Proof? See "Spielberg/Transformers Movie." :thumb

Archived