Quit Whinging

Haggisjin

I know I'm gonna get the crap flamed out of me for this, but it's been stewing inside for a while, and I find doing things like this once in a while is easier than paying for a therapist 15 years from now when I breakdown and attempt to kill someone.

Would all the people out there quit their whinging that this toy or that toy isn't "G1" enough. Christ I'm sick of people saying that "the G1 toy was better" or "they should stick more closely to the original" or any of that crap.

First off, for the most part, even G1 didn't look like G1. Ugly, disproportionate bricks was what they more closely resembled. And they were fantastic. You know why? Because we were kids. Hell, when I was little I thought happy meal toys were great. Show a G1 toy to a kid these days and they'll grimace, look at you strangely, then slowly back away, avoiding all eye contact. They are not "better", or just have some kind of mystical feel about them, you're just nostalgic. That's it. If you want to know how cool a G1 toy is, ask your girlfriend just how cool it is. And if you don't have a girlfriend? That's part of the test.

Secondly, G1 was twenty years ago. Kid's don't care if it the colour scheme of a toy is more appropriate of an obscure character who stood in the background of a cartoon they've never seen, instead of the name that hasbro has recycled to keep the trademark off of another obscure character who stood in the background of a cartoon they've never seen.

And finally, get over the fact that Megatron isn't silver. Honestly, I don't know how many posts I've read whinging about the colour scheme of GF Master Megatron. I have the guy, like I have the figure of EVERY SINGLE MEGATRON EVER MASS RELEASED (and then couple more), and he is bloody awesome. He stands out on the shelf. Friends of mine who don't care about transformers, ie. girls,  point him out and ask me about him. Also, if you had to evoke the feeling that this Megatron was infused with the power of Unicron, what colour scheme would you use?

So to sum it up, G1 died a very long time ago. After which, we have gotten some considerably improved toys come our way. Articulation, paint schemes, transformations, anything you choose to imagine has improved. Let it go, and realise you're collecting kid's toys made to attract people with 6 minute attention spans.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off, for the most part, even G1 didn't look like G1. Ugly, disproportionate bricks was what they more closely resembled. And they were fantastic. You know why? Because we were kids. Hell, when I was little I thought happy meal toys were great. Show a G1 toy to a kid these days and they'll grimace, look at you strangely, then slowly back away, avoiding all eye contact. They are not "better", or just have some kind of mystical feel about them, you're just nostalgic. That's it. If you want to know how cool a G1 toy is, ask your girlfriend just how cool it is. And if you don't have a girlfriend? That's part of the test.

Um, what if you are a girl? :P

I'm not big on G1, though... All I really want are the Dinobots, micromasters, and a working SkyLynx... Is that too much to ask? As for modern figures, I LOVE them, these are the TFs I've been dreaming of....

(BTW, all the action figures here are mine, not my boyfriends.... Kinda the oppositte, isn't it? )

If you want to know how cool a G1 toy is, ask your girlfriend just how cool it is. And if you don't have a girlfriend? That's part of the test.

My old girlfriend loved G1 becuase the Predacons clicked when when you moved their legs. :P

Hey now... let's not get too ironic with ourselves Haggisman.  :wtf

I probably wouldn't start a topic asking not to be flamed, then fame others for enjoying something that means a great deal to them, like G1. 

for you to understand the 'not G1 enough' mentality, you need to know why people (myself included) feel this way.

Twenty years ago, when G1 came out, it was a revolutionary toy line that had a HUGE fan base. For the first time, kids could enjoy something DIFFERENT than the action figures that were out at the time. He-Man, Star Wars... heck even Robotech, Voltron and Tranzor Z; all were nice in their own right, however the iconic qualities of the Transformers series made an impression on many people and stood above the rest.

Now, flash forward to twenty years later.

The kids of back then are now grown ups, who recognize the Transformers franchise and identify with it. The new figures are great! The articulation now is far superior now than it was back then. I myself have most of the newer figures since RID. 

However, when Hasbro starts throwing out names like 'Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream," even "Autobot and Decepticon"... we recognize where these names come from and wish that they would be consistent with the original. We all need to understand that the Transformers of today are being marketed with names and personalities of characters depicted over 20 years ago. And I don't think that voicing my concerns about a yellow BT Tracks instead of a Blue one warrants such hostility...

But I wouldn't expect the Digimon / Pokemon / Yu-Go-Oh kids of today to understand something as emotional as sentimental value or nostalgia. These ARE the very same kids that are shooting themselves in the eyes and choking on the same G1 Prowl shoulder lanchers that we had fun with twenty years ago... (hmm.....)

I truly believe that even todays tf's wil become like our history: I it all comes down to the fact that the past always repeats itself. Today's f's are gonna end up just like they were 20 years ago, only a bit better. Im pretty much only a G1 fan first of all, and have always hated armada and up for making things beyond rediculous. G1 had one thing that everyone can understand: the word is simple. Kids liked the toys for teh fact that they were simple to transform, unlike todays tf's that pretty much requiring the directions that look like blueprints. simple fact that any human being is able to transform G1 optimus. you have to be out of your mind not to be able to.

look, for certain people what they grew up with stays with them. For me it's anything 80's: this includes the music and the toys. I like my g1 toys better than most because i grew up with them, they were MY toys. For others I know Beast Wars rules because it's what they grew up with. people will complain no matter what, everone keeps bringing up the topic about g1 being bricks...isn't this whining too?! so what get over it, lol. Plus, in the long run, if you don't like it, don't bother reading it, same with tv, or the radio. Do something else. I like hearing everyones gripes, it's what makes us human, and that's why i like boards like this one, i get a feel for fellow collectors. and um...this topic is ironic in so many ways both from the orgin post and all of us whinging about him whining about whiners....lol.

I truly believe that even todays tf's wil become like our history: I it all comes down to the fact that the past always repeats itself. Today's f's are gonna end up just like they were 20 years ago, only a bit better. Im pretty much only a G1 fan first of all, and have always hated armada and up for making things beyond rediculous. G1 had one thing that everyone can understand: the word is simple. Kids liked the toys for teh fact that they were simple to transform, unlike todays tf's that pretty much requiring the directions that look like blueprints. simple fact that any human being is able to transform G1 optimus. you have to be out of your mind not to be able to.

Archived