MP Prime Dimensions?

Donkeystyle

Are you planning to make your display case with glass or acrylic?

I also decided to make myself a custom acrylic display case for 20th anni. Prime. I figured he must be protected against dust and…people!!!!! I purchased a sheet of acrylic today and cut it so that it can form a box type case.

The size I used is 14” x 10” x 10” this seems to be a good size to display him in robot mode. I will also add some “shelves” on the case walls to store his weapons.

If you want to display the vehicle mode, my guess is that a 7” x 14” x 7” should be sufficient.

I hope this helps

I am planning on working with acrylic. Thanks for the advice on the size. Where did you get the acrylic and what did you use to cut it? I found a display case for a porcelain doll that has acrylic panels of about 15"x8" but I imagine if I could find just the plexi it would be cheaper. Do you have any pics of your case you could share?

I do not have a digital camera but I will try to borrow one so that I can take pictures.

Until then, here is some info on a building procedure…

Acrylic sheets can be purchased at any hardware store. Acrylic sheets come in different sizes. If you have access to a table saw you can get a nice thick sheet…if not then I recommend buying 3/16” acrylic sheet…that thickness can be cut using a utility knife or even a box cutter knife. Place a ruler over the sheet and clamp the whole thing down tightly. Do not be afraid 3/16” might not seem solid but once it’s assembled into a box it is very sturdy. You might have to pass your knife about 15 times on each side before the sheet gives away.

I have access to a table saw, so I used it to cut the acrylic sheet. I handled the acrylic sheet as if it was a piece of wood. I even used a wood blade and got great results.

You have your pieces…great…That’s the easy part! Now…The assembling is very tricky!!! For starters…what to use to hold to slabs of acrylic??? I tried a few commercial glues but none of them worked efficiently! If you know of a brand that is easily obtainable, let me know.

Instead, I found is that there is an organic solvent that can be used to do the trick….Methylene cloride!! Unfortunately, the solvent is NOT readily available to the public…and with good reason…it’s highly volatile and is a carcinogen!!! If you don’t have access to a fume hood you should not be handling this chemical. Also, unless you have access to a lab or know someone working in the paint industry getting this chemical solvent will be a problem. There probably is safer ways to do this but this is the method I know.

It works like a charm it “fuses” the slabs together. Dip on slab in a thin film of the organic solution and then apply it on the piece it is to be glued to. Apply force for about10 minutes. You can leave them over night to dry and then use a capillary pipet to apply more solvent on the inner connection lining of the box…after that’s done your box is rock solid!

…maybe I should start selling these !!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Good luck!

Check out this site for more info on working with acrylic:

http://fins.actwin.com/diy/acrylic.html

I did several attempts with commercial glues. All of them claimed to be able to bind plastic pieces together but all of them failed with acrylic!!! I guess you would have to try your particular brand on an acrylic sample.

I found some guy on the net that uses acetone, to make his cement. (which is basically what I am doing with methalyne cloride) It looks like he got some pretty good results. Also, Acetone can easily be found at any hardware store.

Check out the site:

http://guides.pimprig.com/modding/diy_acrylic_cement.php

http://guides.pimprig.com/modding/working_with_acrylic.php

Archived