Would you buy a tf kitbash item? Why?

tornados117

Would you buy a tf kitbash item? Why?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a tf kitbash item? Why?

• Yes if I like it.
    • Yes if it resembles G1 character
    • Yes if it is black
    • No coz it is not original anymore
    • No coz no price value
    • No coz what's the point of getting repaints since I do not even support tf's repaints
    • No coz no more MISB
    • others

Hi everyone,

Just wanting to poll and ask everyone your view point of kitbash/repaints.

As I can see that companies like JD prod produces kits, weapons, repaints of G1 homage for sale and another of the MP trailor, how many of you would actually go and buy one?

The question I want to pose is that would you buy one?

Would you buy a original tf product but is kitbashed or repainted by a fan and put on sale?

For people who wouldn't buy, the reasons i can think of are like no more price value; not original anymore; no point buying kitbash/repaint coz so expensive, etc.

For people who would buy, reasons may be like it looks much better then the original color scheme; it gives me the G1 look (nostalgic feeling), it makes the toy complete (for MPOP case) etc.

Feel free to post your opinion and place ur poll yeah?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never and seriously doubt I ever will buy a kitbash. For this there are a number of reasons:

- why buy what I can make myself?

- often too expensive. (e.g. Marks' Magnus armor: very nice and don't think I can make it quite as good, but it's just too expensive).

- I'm a bit of a perfectionist: with regular TF's there can be little things I don't like, with a repaint/kitbash this can be worse.

- a repainted/kitbashed/scratchbuild TF is never as durable as official. I fear it wouldn't survive the shipping intact.

As for those repro parts, that's another story, I might buy that if it's a part I really need/want.

And here come a person who has just five posts and manages to come up with a topic that is actually interesting. You amaze me, sir.

I wouldn't buy a kitbash for the simple reason that I never like one enough to buy one. I think that they are never good enough to justify any price on them. However I do enjoy what people do to them. Some people are really good at what they do and deserve to be seen.

I have been known to buy others kitbashes if I really like them. Weirdo's Alt. Stepper, Littlerobot's RM Prime Trailer, and some of JD's projects come to mind.

The problem I have is usually the price. While I understand how much it costs to really kitbash and produce something of quality, I usually can't justify the high cost. (ie: JD's Devastator Statue) - the piece itself is awesome - but I can't support the $500.00 price tag.

I am also getting into the realm of kitbashing myself - and I agree with a previous poster... I would be worried that mine wouldn't survive the shipping process as well!

p.s... I voted 'yes'.  :thumb

Too expensive to buy most of the time.  I understand that a lot of work goes into them most of the time and all, but for example like Ultra's trailer I saw someone is selling for $750, which looks great but I have other priorities in life to think about to consider. Its better to try to do it one self or just get on with life. I had inquired before to someone for a Alt Prowl which would have costed me $200, so I am currently doing my own and in purchaching a Silverstreak and supplies costed me around $50.  Most of the price is for the work hours spent on project.

And here come a person who has just five posts and manages to come up with a topic that is actually interesting. You amaze me, sir.

I wouldn't buy a kitbash for the simple reason that I never like one enough to buy one. I think that they are never good enough to justify any price on them. However I do enjoy what people do to them. Some people are really good at what they do and deserve to be seen.

I regard ur first sentence as a compliment. Thanks.  :tflaugh

I read the posts often from kitbash and tf news and rumours but did not post coz

i) either someone has shared what i wanted to comment or share

ii) or I do not know the answer to the query or stuff.

Personally I feel that in my country, Singapore, I can only appreciate all the kitbash found here or Japan coz very very few people actually kitbash or repaint them.

Either

i) the toys cost alot

ii) or they scared they will make a disaster out of it

iii) or after kitbash or repaint would be no more value coz not original anymore.

iv) other personal reasons.

For me, as u can see from my avatar, I tried my very first repaint which is energon scorponok into a black zarak similar to JD prod except a few minor changes in color here and there. Indeed, it took me alot of effort and cost of materials. I bought expensive spray cans and paints to make them look nice. In the end the cost of the toy and materials would add up to Singapore 100-120 bucks which is about 60-70USD. But if a person were to sell it at a profit coz one never add in manual hours and painting skills involved. Thus I feel that I would support and buy if the price is reasonable. For now, I'm very satisfied with my energon black zarak coz not many in the world has done it to this scheme and I like it.  :thumb

My next attempt when i'm free would be a G1 scorponok scheme E.scorponok and also a red exillion coz I like the red color scheme alot (not that I like hot rod... oops no offence to hot rod fans here  :tfgrin ).

Please dun think that I start this thread to want to promote to sell anything coz i do not intend to sell my E.black zarak but I just want to discuss constructively about the above issue. There are many who collect tfs coz they like it BUT also they want to sell it after they lose the interest. If they were to buy a kitbash or repaint, not only will they not be able to sell it coz no more value and also it had cost them a certain amount of money which can be used to buy other tfs. (this is my personal opinion, no offence to anyone coz I myself has a little bit of this mindset except I choose to try out on things that I like alot)

Archived