Did Transformers designs inspire stuff from

My Alt. Mode Sucks

I was thinking...the Mega Man series' Robot Masters and Mega Man X's Mavericks have a lot of seemingly TF-inspired aspects (Metal Man, for example, has a mouth plate). I know MM was born in the mid 80s, a bit after TF came out..do you think there was a connection? I feel that the look of some of the bad guys is more than a coincidence.

I was thinking...the Mega Man series' Robot Masters and Mega Man X's Mavericks have a lot of seemingly TF-inspired aspects (Metal Man, for example, has a mouth plate). I know MM was born in the mid 80s, a bit after TF came out..do you think there was a connection? I feel that the look of some of the bad guys is more than a coincidence.

For the most part, I'd say no.  Both Mega Man and the Diaclone/Microman toys that ended up becoming the first Transformers spring from the same tradition of Japanese robot design.  Mega Man, in particular, is strongly influenced by Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy series, which involved a lot of robots that could just as easily be described as Transformer-like.

In recent years, some Mega Man designs have popped up that I do think have a Transformers influence.  Turbo Man, from Mega Man 7, turns into a car as one of his attacks.  The very recent GyroMan.EXE turns into a helicopter, and his head design looks an awful lot like Armada Hot Shot.

actually, there's nothing really unique about the design of tf's except for their transformation abillity. almost all japanese robots share similar design traits, it's more of a cultural thing.

I think it's hard to say anymore anyway. There are so many different transforming robots out there now......

well, gundams don't transform so much as they move parts around for an added flight mode. power rangers have always been more about the robots combining into a big robot rather than each transforming into an individual robot. and the current MRR toys are more about a core robot with interchangable armor. the only other toyline i can think of where the robots transform into a distinctive vehicle mode is Macross and those are all planes.

seriously, i think tf's would be huge if the japanese could just get over the fact that they're sentient lifeforms as opposed to human-piloted mechs.

well, gundams don't transform so much as they move parts around for an added flight mode. power rangers have always been more about the robots combining into a big robot rather than each transforming into an individual robot. and the current MRR toys are more about a core robot with interchangable armor. the only other toyline i can think of where the robots transform into a distinctive vehicle mode is Macross and those are all planes.

seriously, i think tf's would be huge if the japanese could just get over the fact that they're sentient lifeforms as opposed to human-piloted mechs.

u forgot the MA mode for gundam. and MA doesnt have to been a flight mode.

about the last sentence. all i can say is :finger :stfu

Archived