Why is Aaron Archer so evil?

Lord Madhammer

Actually, revenues in the toy segment were up...due to the shipment of the new Star Wars toys. Hasbro recognizes revenue when products are shipped, so as soon as those puppies were in the packaging, they were out the door and on the Balance Sheet as revenue...

Isn't that, oh...slightly illegal?

Oh, and that's a cat in your sig. Ripping me off...

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's, um..."preparing for the future".

Yeah, toys are kinda slowing down. Might be why the toy aisles are chock-full, usually, when I browse them.

It's like another recent trend: 2D animation is dying because people feel 3D is now so superior. Sad but true.

I don't think toys will ever totally die off, though. They're a HUGE entertainment market.

It's, um..."preparing for the future".

Yeah, toys are kinda slowing down. Might be why the toy aisles are chock-full, usually, when I browse them.

It's like another recent trend: 2D animation is dying because people feel 3D is now so superior. Sad but true.

I don't think toys will ever totally die off, though. They're a HUGE entertainment market.

Action figures as we know them today owe their existence to George Lucas. Prior to Star Wars, tie-in merchandise was disposable Happy Meal-style junk. Now an entire generation has grown up expecting action figures, vehicles, playsets, etc. to go along with their favorite movies and TV shows.

As such, I think the action figure market is largely (though not exclusively) tied to the SW generation and its influence. As that generation gets older, we will see more and more "adult collectibles" such as 20th Anny Prime, the Alternators, not to mention just about everything done by the McFarlanes of the world. Conversely, I expect that we will see less attention given to the traditional kids' toys (e.g. the Transformers flavor of the month).

Regarding 2-D animation, it was dying long before CGI came along. I think CGI is a convenient scapegoat, but the real death of hand-drawn animation began in the 60's with Hanna-Barbera and in the 70's with Japanese animation, which at the time was primarily a very low-budget affair. The standard of excellence was lowered to the point that a single G1 episode with consistent animation is considered "great".

But I digress. What were we talking about?

Isn't that, oh...slightly illegal?

Oh, and that's a cat in your sig. Ripping me off...

Nope. They're just following the US GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) set by the US government. In the case of revenue, they just have to tell the SEC in their filings when they recognize revenue (when the products are produced, shipped to retailers, or when cash is collected from retailers). Hasbro (and any other publicly traded company) also has to keep this method consistent over the years. If they change their method, they must tell the government and stockholders.

I just think that people should STFU unless they actually know the person they're bashing. It's so easy to sit at your computer and type "ARCHER SUXX0RZ!!1", but it's a lot harder to maintain that sentiment when you're face to face with the guy. And let's face it - there's a lot that we DON'T know. Instead of rushing to fill in the gaps in our knowledge with ignorant flamebait, maybe we could try listening a bit more.

Editorial finished. :thumb

Yup...EXACTLY...

Those are my feelings on Aaron Archer, Simon Furman, Andrew Wildman, Bob Skir, Bob Budiansky, and Larry DiTillo.

I would suspect that he is not a 'friend' of other sites either, because that's just the way people are.  Some people get too high on themselves while others don't. 

This was not directed at anyone. See, I only learned of that whole crap a) along the way, when the only "Orson" I heard of in the Transformers context up to that point was a legendary director who died 20 years ago after voicing a transforming planet devourer, and b) in retrospect reading some people's recollections of the events in question and digging out some old stuff which I believe had something to do with why things happened they way they did.

I can see both sides, and I really won't make any public judgement until I a) got to know all the people involved in person and b) heard their versions of the story.

Therefore, my comment was merely directed to point out to some people that tensions do exist, while at the same time trying to make sure that I don't want to talk about this in public. Because one thing I will admit: Regardless of what really went on, regardless of who cast the first stone, regardless of who peed in whose soup, the CONSEQUENCES are bad for the fandom as a whole. And I really don't want to drag out all that old crap again which I didn't even experience myself either, because I'm sick of all the drama.

The issues with fans disliking Archer mostly started with his above it all attitude when he was Orson at 2005. Those of you who were there to see it will recall he pretty much talked down to the fans and acted insulted when the question was too general or he'd answered it before. If you pissed him off you could be banned. How nice. :)

As for the TFormers incident aimed mostly at me. I think that stands on its own historical feet. He used his position to try to take me and the site down claiming I got him canned from 2005. Do you really believe some jerk-off like me could tell Hasbro what to do? I still can't believe people didnt see how weak an excuse that was. A lot of you dont know there was very scarry backlash - It was no fun believe me. I kid not when I say I got many threats of bodily harm as well as things like people calling my job and trying to get me fired. YES, OVER TOYS!

The irony is his accusations greatly increased our popularity. In hindsight I have to say a big thanks to Aaron and Tony for hating me so much in public that everyone had to know more about TFormers.com.  They came to look and never left.

IMHO, Aaron Archer has brought all this on himself. Instead of building bridges he put people down. That kind of shit brings you bad karma and that's what he got.

Archived