Next Takara TF Masterpiece?

stly92

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's only a certain type of Transformer we will see in Alternators/Binaltech, and that's automobiles, unfortunately. This is why I think the Masterpiece line exists, to give true fans accurate TV/comic versions of classic characters with cool extras. So as far as the Masterpieces are concerned, anything's possible. Don't hold your breath for a new version of any gestalts like Superion or Devastator, they would be far too costly to make and sell, as much as we'd love to see them. Ultra Magnus would be great, but this would also be stupidly expensive.

There's no feasible way Fortress Maximus or Metroplex can be remade as an MP, they're just too big for a realistic toy.

Look at MP Prime, my one has trouble supporting his own weight, and when in a simple action pose with his legs slightly apart as in the image on the box (Japanese version), his sheer weight simply causes his legs to do the splits, meaning a decent "at-ease" pose is impossible.

Megatron and Starscream are the 2 best choices for next MP releases. It doesn't really matter if Starscream's jet mode isn't quite to the scale of Prime or the Alternators, just as long as his robot mode is roughly the same height as Prime (realisitically, I think this is a happy medium). Takara could easily make this toy, and he'd be awesome in full die-cast, featuring a mini-Megatron (just like Prime) and looking practically show accurate. Wings mounted right BEHIND his shoulders, not on the sides of his legs, and the nose-cone folded away into his body, not connected to his head.

Megatron would be tricky, it's true, and I must admit, has to be the ultimate challenge for any manufacturer, let alone the technical brilliance of Takara. Initially I did assume he would be made into something like a Desert Eagle, but scale does become an issue for his robot form, and the legality of having an accurate looking toy gun available to kids in the 'States is an impossibility in this day and age.

The only solution I can see to this problem is to have him transform into something else. Such as a tank. I'm not talking about the G2 tank Megatron or the poor Armada version, but something resembling the awesome Dreamwave comic War Within design (actually originally designed to transform accurately).

Failing that, I seem to remember someone doing their own kitbash of a "super" version of Megatron who opposed Star Convoy in the latter series of Transformers on Japanese TV/toys. He transformed into a mounted gun, or mobile gun similar to G1 Galvatron, but looked very very close to the original TV show G1 Megatron. The images may be somewhere on the Transfandom site, or BigBot or somewhere. I can't quite remember where, it's been a while!

It would be the greatest to have a full-size gun Megatron, and thinking about how big a Desert Eagle is, I think he would be pretty close to MP Op's robot-mode scale. But I can't really see it happening, so these suggestions are the only way I think we'll ever see a decent MP G1 homage to our favourite bad guy.

The only other characters I can think of that should be remade, are of course, Arcee(I have shots of a show-accurate kitbash - fully painted to prove it's possible), Grimlock (probably the best suggestion ever come to think of it), Springer (if his triple-change feature could be properly implemented), Ratchett and Ironhide, Prowl, Jazz, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Trailbreaker, Kup, Blurr and Bumblebee & Cliffjumper. We all already know Tracks, Hound and the as-yet unnamed Mazda RX-8 are all on their way, so I won't include these, but all the others should be carefully considered by Takara. I couldn't care less if Hasbro weren't involved, if you're a true Transformers fan, you'll get everything on import anyway!

I may upset a few people by saying this though - I really DON'T want to see a remake of Hot Rod. Or "Rodimus" Prime. He was one of the illest conceived characters ever in the history of the line, and the new toys and comics would be much better off without his presence. Now that would be a waste of Takara's resources, when they could be gracing us with one of the other characters from above.

Worthy of inheriting the Matrix from Optimus? I don't think so!

Why has there been no "Hot Rod" character equivalent in Beast Wars II, Beast Wars Neo or Robots In Disguise? All the leaders were, in every respect, alternate (and superb) versions of the original Optimus Prime, with all his features. And no resemblance of Hotrod.

Anyway, I digress...

I must admit, the Alternator/Binaltech and Masterpiece lines are quite big, meaning that any larger figures fans might want to see, like the aforementioned Fort Max and Ultra Magnus are difficult to make in this 1:24 scale. I would actually pay for smaller scale versions of these toys (die-cast or not) around the same scale as the Robots In Disguise line, even though I already own most of the Binal Tech line and the MP Prime. Being able to play with these figures and pose them without the fear of damaging them, or having them fall over thanks to their sheer mass would be a definate plus in my humble opinion. Especially if it made a new G1-anime accurate Ultra Magnus and Fort Max (or even Predaking) able to go into production.

And lastly, who cares if they do an MP Shockwave? I'd be happy to just see a commemorative re-release fer crying out loud! C'mon Hasbro! Where the hell is he?

post-26-1076912246.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Rodimus no... Starscream, Magnus not just repaint but armor, maybe Soundwave, Fort Max, heh just imagine a MP Fort Max probaly 500 bucks and 5 feet tall

Archived