1/24 Scale Metal Model Kits

Tripredacus

I went to Walmart today and after dispairing that the didn't have any new TFs since "Wheeljack," I went looking for Alternators. But they don't seem to carry them anymore. Sometimes the stores around me put Alternators in the car/model kit area. But lucky me I found something neat just the same.

It is a BBurago 1988 Lamborghini Countach GT 1/24th scale metal model kit.

Most of the car is plastic, but the body itself is metal. It is pre-painted and it comes with stickers. It also has opening doors and an opening trunk.

The only problem is that the body is die cast (looks to be aluminum/zinc like Hot Wheels) and you would have to figure out some way to cut it so it could transform. The decals it comes with are old-skool (I haven't bought a model kit in a while) meaning you have to put them in water, etc.

The back of the box shows they also have Beetle kits. They even have larger 1/18 (I think) scale available.

BBurago's site doesn't help much, and the newest catalog they have is from 2003, and is not searchable. Here is a list of the models in the series mine is from. Mine is #5547.

http://www.hobby.home.pl/burago_skladanki_5500.htm

Any idea on what I should use the cut the metal parts?

A blow-torch? Magic wand?

Honestly, when I read this yesterday, the only think I could say for sure is you're up a creek without a paddle. Diecast metal is not something you'd want to work with over plastic. I don't recall anyone here having much success with cutting it.

A dremmel ratory tool with a "waffer wheel", or c"cut off wheel" good for 1/8 inch of steel. Or if you happen to have a Metabo metal grinder good for 4 to 5 and 1/2 inches of steel. The metabo would definatly be faster but I would recommend some type of experience using it. The dremmels are great as well and if you happen to have one like mine with a speed adjustment they can be used for cuttin or shaving almost anything.

Archived