Compare Masterpiece vs. 20th Anniversary Prime

Donkeystyle

I've been looking all over for a head to head comparison of the Takara and Hasbro 20th Anniversary Primes. For example, I know that the smokestacks are of different height and that the US version has battle scarring, but what I don't know is if both primes have removable facemasks or the same amount of die-cast parts. So here, let's discuss the differences, or if it has been done, supply me a link, please!

:tflaugh

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have MP convoy and if you're a purist than i would get that one, if you don't mind the difference between them or want to pay less get MP prime. they are the exact toy except cosmeticly, battle damage is cool but i think you should be able to put them on yourself, as to the smoke stacks it's just rediculas, i mean who would pay 70 bucks for a toy for a little kid who would poke his eye out with it? it comes down to common sense on this one. the only ones really buying this are collectors who are about 20-30 years old. is there anyone with any kids on this forum that they're buying this for? i dought it.

Guest TwinSwords

im only 13 and i bought a complete G1 megatron with unused stickers and a collection 10 soundwave at my local collectors store which is where im getting my mp prime from. hopefully it will come soon :tfmad my dad is actually buying takara version for me as a late christmas present. i feel like im the youngest on these boards.

Well, I have the american version. Let me say some things. The short stacks were unavoidable under current toy laws and Hasbro did try to fight it. Personally, with toys with aestetic flaws, there are things that do bother, and things that don't. I've found that the short stacks don't bother me. they are a minor detailon a big, excellent toy. Now, Energon Prime with mouth does bother me, I'm gonna have to get a no-mouth version now.

The Battle damage is something that Hasbro did to actually attract collector interest, not repell it. It just looks like the plan kind of backfired. You see, given that this is a toy primarily for collectors and older fans with more extensive financial resources, they figured many of them would just import the japanese version because it came out first. The battle damage scheme was to give collectors a reason to get both. The battle damage in my opinion doesn't bother, and infact looks kind of cool. Keep in mind it's just a paint scheme thing and doesn't affect the actual mold. And what is there is minimal.

As for die-cast parts, there's plenty of them. I don't have the Japanese version, but from pictures it looks like they are about equal in die-cast. Those who said that the american version would be all plastic were just confused by the Binaltech/Alternators debacle.

In the end, I got the American version because I did not have the extra $30-$50 to drop on importing the Japanese version. And I don't think that I got an inferior version. He stands up to the other.

Well, I have the american version. Let me say some things. The short stacks were unavoidable under current toy laws and Hasbro did try to fight it. Personally, with toys with aestetic flaws, there are things that do bother, and things that don't. I've found that the short stacks don't bother me. they are a minor detailon a big, excellent toy. Now, Energon Prime with mouth does bother me, I'm gonna have to get a no-mouth version now.

The Battle damage is something that Hasbro did to actually attract collector interest, not repell it. It just looks like the plan kind of backfired. You see, given that this is a toy primarily for collectors and older fans with more extensive financial resources, they figured many of them would just import the japanese version because it came out first. The battle damage scheme was to give collectors a reason to get both. The battle damage in my opinion doesn't bother, and infact looks kind of cool. Keep in mind it's just a paint scheme thing and doesn't affect the actual mold. And what is there is minimal.

As for die-cast parts, there's plenty of them. I don't have the Japanese version, but from pictures it looks like they are about equal in die-cast. Those who said that the american version would be all plastic were just confused by the Binaltech/Alternators debacle.

In the end, I got the American version because I did not have the extra $30-$50 to drop on importing the Japanese version. And I don't think that I got an inferior version. He stands up to the other.

i absolutly agree with you but don't get me started on the mouth of energon prime lol

Archived