Do kids even like Transformers?

Teh INTERNETS ^_^

I've been playing a lot of vid games in an effort to be distracted because of recent problems and the increased problems my ex has caused, but I still find time to fiddle about with the TF's and running little tests. I'm thinking of maybe giving RID Prime some extra guns, like maybe using E-Magus and turning him into his gun mode, then slotting him onto Prime and seeing if that works, should do. RID Prime's pea shooter is a terrible weapon for a leader to have. Not going to be bothering with the TV since there's nothing on, if I were a kid agian, I would probably be playing with the TF's and having a long battle with lots of chaos. Kids should do that more often these days.

-Chuckles

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While reading this thread over again, I began thinking up of some major points on why Transformers don't sell too well.

Transforming toys is old and not that intresting to the average day kid.

Transformers Are WAY too expensive.

video games are just better

Also, the show's time slot has nothing to do with the selling of toys. I remember being 5 or 6 years old and still getting up at 6 am or so to watch beastwars. Me and all my friends at the time did. And kids don't give a damn about "character development". A childs brain literally isn't able to comprehend "development" yet. Plus, less kids buying TFormers is a good thing, more for us.

Being a former Hobby Shop owner I saw the "era" of kids and what they like change over the years. I remember when kids from 5-to 16 were still buying toys to play with or to collect (as with comics and graphic novels, anime etc) It was something new and they wanted to collect that peaked thier interest or looking for something as a investment for the future....but now being "The Year 2005", KIDS have changed so much. It was so hard getting kids involved with any role playing/card games or just to come a toy club and learn things. All the kids told me it was just a waste of time they had more things on their mind, sex, drugs, and parties. Most claimed they were to grown up for things of this nature and I must add, these were only 13/14 year old kids. And the collectors I had were hard to please, old MTG players hated and couldnt stand the new cards and new rules. As for my transformer collectors, I kept up will all the toys lines and get ridiculed by collectors for letting younger kids buy the "new" stock of transformers, I would just simply reply, " I am trying to continue to grow the transformer clan." In other words, Kids do not buy transformers anymore, the ones that are bought are for the wee-ones who just want something cool/ pretty that catch their eye. In conclusion, I think today's society has "corrupted" the younger generation and believe things do need to change so SPREAD THE FREAKING LOVE .

post-5-1111709690.jpg

Being a former Hobby Shop owner I saw the "era" of kids and what they like change over the years. I remember when kids from 5-to 16 were still buying toys to play with or to collect (as with comics and graphic novels, anime etc) It was something new and they wanted to collect that peaked thier interest or looking for something as a investment for the future....but now being "The Year 2005", KIDS have changed so much. It was so hard getting kids involved with any role playing/card games or just to come a toy club and learn things. All the kids told me it was just a waste of time they had more things on their mind, sex, drugs, and parties. Most claimed they were to grown up for things of this nature and I must add, these were only 13/14 year old kids. And the collectors I had were hard to please, old MTG players hated and couldnt stand the new cards and new rules. As for my transformer collectors, I kept up will all the toys lines and get ridiculed by collectors for letting younger kids buy the "new" stock of transformers, I would just simply reply, " I am trying to continue to grow the transformer clan." In other words, Kids do not buy transformers anymore, the ones that are bought are for the wee-ones who just want something cool/ pretty that catch their eye. In conclusion, I think today's society has "corrupted" the younger generation and believe things do need to change so SPREAD THE FREAKING LOVE .

Notto totally discredit what you're saying, but Hobby Shop buyers are a very different breed from all the shopping that goes on in department stores, discount chains, and large toy stores, so I don't think you're experience is indicative of kids' TF love in general.

Also every generation of "elders" has thought and said just what you have about their younger generations, and nothing has really changed.

While reading this thread over again, I began thinking up of some major points on why Transformers don't sell too well.

Transforming toys is old and not that intresting to the average day kid.

Transformers Are WAY too expensive.

video games are just better

Also, the show's time slot has nothing to do with the selling of toys. I remember being 5 or 6 years old and still getting up at 6 am or so to watch beastwars. Me and all my friends at the time did. And kids don't give a damn about "character development". A childs brain literally isn't able to comprehend "development" yet. Plus, less kids buying TFormers is a good thing, more for us.

this thing about video games keeps coming up....

So i am wondering , still wondering....

Why has Has-Tak alsmost gone out of their way to avoid making a decent video game for TFs?!?!

So true.

While Takara has made some (Literally) kick-ass video games, alle their TF games so far have sucked. I think a good video game would spice things up for the kids and I wouldn't mind to play a decent TF game. One that isn't only released only on the PS2.

Anyway...

Hasbro marketing, at least in the netherlands, is done by monkeys. There is no catroon, and when there was one they canceled it after 12 eps, and those where aired at 7.30... Insane. There where a few commercials, but only within the aforementioned timeslot. I KNOW kids still like tf's, on this moment there is a kid sitting behind me herassing me to go to the hobby store just to look at them and I know another one who has even started collecting them. The has a shelf and displays, both are nine years old. My nephew also likes them. Why? Because a good toy is a good toy. It's all in the advertising.

What I never understood is, if Transformers is one of Hasbro's "core brands", why they never pushed it much more than its other "non-core" brands. That is, sink a little more money into the promotion of it and such like cartoons, commercials, and other merchandise. I rarely, if ever, see a TF commercial. The last two I remember seeing are in Beast Machines (for Nightscream and Supreme Cheetor) and in Armada (for Superbase Prime I believe...). The cartoon isn't interesting at all because it's unintelligible for many people.

I also agree with those who said variety in stock is key as well. I've noticed in the stores that the newer figures tend to fly off the shelves, while older figures that are either sucky or are just "old" sit and collect dust. People are buying them, it's just that shelves are getting clogged with too much BS.

i still see kids buys TF's but its rare most simply go for other toys of the same size but are far cheaper after all the kids not buying the bigger TF's its the parents and they want value for money so they will always opt for the larger toy

as far as shows go energon has been doing ok its got a good time slot and i see adds ever now and then but nothing compared to siperman etc and its that that i think is stopping kids they simply dont know what tf's are

GF to me is a gr8 show each episode seems to be part of the larger story but each ep it self could stand on its own pritty much like pokemon hopfully the dub wont suck ass

Archived