E. Combiner limb dupes seem cheesy?

realmasume

I agree with most of you guys. I think it is boring and unoriginal for Hasbro be reduced to duplicating the limbs for the new combiner sets. :tfmad I am ticked off at Hasbro because they haven't released the rest of Construticon Maximus (C-3 and C-4) in which they ought call Constructicon Maximus Devastator and any of the parts to Bruticus Maximus here in my area, not even on e-Bay for goodness sake!

But do realize that this situation should not be bad as it seems to us and as much Hasbro has ticked me off, Hasbro is just trying to make some money and figured they could try get more $ if they duplicated limbs (one of my theories any way...). I have also noticed that some of the original combiners to have similar transformation methods (except Devastator of course!) and do realize that the Generation One transformers are repaints of transformers from Takara's Diaclone series from the late 70s early 80s.

Jeez. Stow the 'tude, buddy.

Hasbro released ALL of the combiner parts. The fact that I have all three gestalts prove it. You just got the bad luck of poor distribution coupled with a lack of store orders. Or they're just stupidly popular in your area and you've got bad timing. But all the same, every single solitary Energon combiner component has been released for general consumption nationwide.

I'm not quite sure what the hell you're talking about in regards to Constructicon Maximus, AKA Buildtron, AKA "Energon Devastator". However, check eBay again because I'm finding them on there as well as complete sets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Since they're obviously leaving racks before clearance sales, it would appear that Hasbro was on the ball with their assumption, eh? ;) Anyway, best of luck completing your 'bots and the key to that is keeping a constant eye out and calling up stores ahead of time to see when they receive shipments and then crashing the store the moment of or the morning after stocking.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In keeping with tradition, I would have preferred all different limbs. Also, lets face it. It wasn't because Has/Tak couldn't make new molds because of cost. They didn't make new mold because they are cheap. They have as much capacity as they need. They just wanted to milk the molds, AND posibly force impatient collectors to buy additional toys of the same color. It's called marketing strategy, and they know how to play us. A company that makes $3 billion in annual revenue garners no sympathy from me (especially with the number of quality errors). Yes, they could have made a profit off of additional molds, but they made more money off of milking the recolors. So, it not because they "couldn't," it's because they "didn't." :tfgrin

Oh, yes, Hasbro/Takara is an infinite pool of wealth and time. They have unlimited resources in which to design 15 new figures, 150% more basic figures than already existed in the line, within the last third of the line, when original budget plans and figure allocations didn't even allow for them to be in the line in the first place. The combiners were last minute additions to the line. Because everybody whined for new combiners, HasTak caved and dug deeper into their pockets to produce the 9 new molds we did get. But no, nobody's happy, they think that HasTak's cheap because they didn't spend more money and time developing 6 more figures that shouldn't have even existed in the first place.

:roll

My opinion on the whole mold repaint of the combiners is simply the fact that you *need* to buy the repaints to make a full combiner. It's not as if it were a repaint you could simply pass by because you have the mold already, unless you don't want to finish the combined form. (But let's face it, if your buying them in the first place, your probably going for the combined form as well)

I don't know why it's such a big deal to ppl about only getting one of a mold, especially if both of the same mold are favorite characters(Exc. Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker). What if the G1 seekers combined? Would everyone complain about having the same molds repeated all over the combined form?

So far I have only found the first two combining limbs for both E Superion and E Devastator, and lately nothing. I can't even find Slugslinger yet in my area. :tfmad From what I've seen so far the drones/limbs are pretty well done for basics.

My take/opinion on Hasbro/Takara doing repeats molds for each limb is pretty much divided. I like it because it insures each limd is a decent mold and it works well to balance the gestalt modes meaning arms/legs can be identical for a uniform look despite what colour each limb is. I disliked it because not only does it cheapen the originality but it more so denies a collector/fan two great G1 homages per gestalt. This bothers me by far the most because for Devastator we got cool homages of Scavenger, Hook, and Scrapper, and we never got a variation of Mixmaster, Longhaul or if they decided instead, Bonecrusher. Same complaint for Brutucus. Great homages of Onslaught, Vortex, and Brawl, but no Swindle, or Blastoff. Hell even Strong arm could've been reused and modified as a limb as could've Skyblast. Superion doesn't bother me nearly as much since his limbs were all jets to begin with. A variety would've been nice but I'm willing to leave it as is.

Lastly I really hope Hasbro/Takara doesn't pull this with the rumoured Cybertron Gestalts, and though I like each mold and there respected colours all the same I have no wish to see them reused anywhere in the Cybertron line.

DeVastator doesn't seem to be as popular anyway (in my experience - could be wrong). Couldn't they have just produced two gestalts vs. all three, and used all new arm and leg molds?

Edit: "v"

Lastly I really hope Hasbro/Takara doesn't pull this with the rumoured Cybertron Gestalts, and though I like each mold and there respected colours all the same I have no wish to see them reused anywhere in the Cybertron line.

You may be out of luck... you know they still have to repaint the main bodies. :roll

- Although, if they repaint the bodies for Cybertron, and make 2 new limbs for each, (repainting them as dupes in the Cybertron line, obviously...) then we will finally have the "complete" 4-limbed combiners we are whining about not getting, and a repaint to boot. :thumb

And as for all these so-called "great homages", I'm not seeing it at all. The Energon Gestalts are a piss-poor re-use of the G1 names to generate higher sales to the fanboys who jump at anything even remotely resembling anything G1 related. The Superion arm (or leg) that looks more like Powerglide than one of the Aerialbots was all it took for me to take a firm stand on the "not interested" soapbox. Bruticus is close, maybe, although I don't think Barricade looks much like Onslaught at all, and the other two molds only resemble the originals in alt mode, and those are similar at best. Hook got a semi-close homage, but other than that, the Constructicons were a total wash. At least they knew better than to put the name "Devastator" on him... Oh wait, no they didn't, they just couldn't legally use the name... :roll

Granted, the main line isn't geared specifically to G1 fans, and for the Energon fans who love thier combiners, I mean no disrespect. But as a G1 fan, I was very excited about these new combiners... until I saw the first photos. :tdown Some of the homages have been great, like Downshift (Wheeljack), Rodimus, and Starscream (especially the new repaint, which I just picked up today! :clap ), to name a few. But as Energon "Mirage" showed us, a name does NOT an homage make. IMO, 2 limb molds or 4, the E. Combiners are MEH. I'll stick with my classic "bricks". :thumb

I really don't have too much of a problem with the combiners from the ENERGON line although as far as making alterior molds, the only team I think that this should have been done for was the COMBATICONS. I love the overall appearance of BRUTICUS but I do miss the addition of a BLASTOFF and SWINDLE "type" put into the frey. BRUTICUS was one of those bots that truely had totally varying forms when it came to the 5 bot combiners. I would even have liked to see a space shuttle and maybe another modeltype for the tank.

SUPERION'S remolded characters I definately like and really don't have any problems with only because (G-1 diehard fans, don't hurt me) I always thought that the AIRELBOTS, although being one of my favorites, always seemed to be limb-remolded anyway. Same transformation scheme...same type of bot. I'm noticing that with these new E. COMBINERS though, they have enough going on that the individual bots can be transformed a little differently in bot mode to give them a different feel and look. The same can be done with their energon weapons as well.

For DEVISTATOR NEO though...I do like him but I do have to say I am a little disappointed. I think there should have been six bots and with the AUTOBOTS powerlinking toys, I think it would have been a great idea to impliment this and use the other bots for the arms and legs. Would be greater if these could have been all deluxe models. Now THAT I think would have been a perfect homage. to G-1 DEVISTATOR.

I'm hoping to see more combiners in the future. Remember, I do like the combiners as they are right now but with a little more imagination, we would have been floored by the completely sheer awesomeness of these guys. Love 'em...but could use a little tweaking. :thumb

Granted, the main line isn't geared specifically to G1 fans, and for the Energon fans who love thier combiners, I mean no disrespect. But as a G1 fan, I was very excited about these new combiners... until I saw the first photos. :tdown Some of the homages have been great, like Downshift (Wheeljack), Rodimus, and Starscream (especially the new repaint, which I just picked up today! :clap ), to name a few. But as Energon "Mirage" showed us, a name does NOT an homage make. IMO, 2 limb molds or 4, the E. Combiners are MEH. I'll stick with my classic "bricks". :thumb

Take my advise, don't just go by what you saw in the pictures. A lot of figures I didn't really like when I first saw pics came to be some of my favorite figures.

You don't have to really like the combined forms but individually, they are some of the coolest figures ever made, especially the basics. If you ask me they are well worth getting even if you only plan on keeping them individually.

Archived