Hardtop/Vinyl Top for Hound/Swindle

areaseven

Has anyone fabricated a custom hardtop or vinyl top for Hound/Swindle? If so, does it also function in robot mode (i.e. shield a la Windcharger)?

A while ago I had the idea that a special yellow hard top could be made for Hound that would snap over and onto his chest to give him a G1 Brawn bot mode look without sacrificing the green Brawn alt mode color. I don't have the means of fabricating one, though.

BT story wise, Hound wouldn't need one because his rollbars have holographic generators that project holograms of people inside the vehicle. Swindle on the other hand,has no such system so a vinyl top might be useful in a close quarters/ city senario to hide the fact that he has no pasengers much less a driver. But then again, he's a Decepticon. He's not there to blend in, but to obliterate/enslave mankind. None-the-less, I say if you can't find one,make one! (Real vinyl would add a nice touch too)

I'm in the middle of making a plastic one out of the lids of Coolwhip containers (good, flat, pliable, paintable plastic). It'll be part of my Trialbreaker repaint/kitbash.

Pics will be probably be up next week.

The problem with using real vinyl to make a top for Hound or Swindle is scale... Unless you can find some REALLY thin vinyl, it's doomed to look way too thick and fake. Best bet would be to look for something in either the dollhouse section or the model train section at the hobby shop, as both of those sections should have scaled down building materials. I know in the dollhouse section, they have small scale carpet, wallpaper, and things like that. And you can find brick panels, siding, all kinds of stuff in small scales.

I'm sure there's something in one of those sections that would work well, I just don't have the skill, time, or patience to build stuff like that from scratch. I need a 1:24 '04 Wrangler model kit, with both hard and soft tops, to be happy. Closest I've found so far is a '77 CJ-7 kit, which I bought anyway, but the top from that kit is a hair too wide to fit right. :tdown

Archived