MasterForce questions

notpicard

I did a long search here to see if any of this was ever covered and can't find it.

I have watched the first few episodes of Masterforce and it has me wondering some things.

1. What ages do the 3 Autobot Headmaster Juniors seem to be? They seem younger than Spike was in the first season of G1. And since Spike mentions that he is too young to drive, I would guess Spike is 15 (though why a 15-year-old was working on an offshore oil rig is beyond me). So I would guess that the group would be roughly 13? Minerva seems a bit more mature than the other 2, which would make sense.

2. Did Hawk say that they had been there on the planet since the time when humans were living in caves?! Does that mean the Pretenders were there the whole time from "More than Meets the Eye" part 1 through the end of the Headmasters series? Then why didn't they do anything to help their fellow Autobots? I'm hoping I missed some explanation there. It would also be nice to understand where Pretender technology came from and why (if it has been around so long) they have not used it before.

3. How did G1 play out with Beast Wars in Japan? Did they treat it as its own continuity? If not, then I guess the Pretenders showed up on Earth right after the Maximals left. It would be cool to see some Pretenders vs the Vok stories. (I know that some significant changes would need to be made to the translation of BW to make it fit to their continuity. But I don't think it would have been impossible.)

4. Is the relationship between Hawk and Shuta's father explained in any more detail later? It seems like he was someone significant to the Transformers in the past.

5. Why is it that all of the Autobot Pretenders used are the ones without animal-faced power suits? Was there some significance to the ones that had the animal faced suits in Japan?

So far, I am enjoying the series but am surprised to hear that many like it more than Headmasters. The animation is batter in many ways, but the fact that the show is so far mostly about humans and not very many Transformers caught me off guard. I'm constantly wondering what the rest of the Autobots must be up to while all of the Masterforce events on Earth are happening. I guess I need to keep watching.

And I really am not into the character of Cab. Imo if Wheelie is annoying, Cab is ten times worse.

As far as I can tell, Masterforce is sort of in its own continuity. It's supposed to be set after Headmasters, but considering Headmasters was set in the 'future', and Masterforce is set in the 'present', it's just plain hard to mesh those two.

So, first up, the thing to consider is that Masterforce is sorta like Armada, it's set in it's own world, for the most part.

1. Not sure, I always presumed they were in their early teens at most.

2. Taking into consideration that Masterforce is basically in its own universe, I reckon' there's basically no connection with the G1ers at all. TFs seem to be mostly unknown to the human race in Masterforce.

3. No idea in regards to how BW was handled in Japan I'm afraid.

4. I think Shuta's father was just your pre-requisite 'professor'. It's implied he's known Hawk for years, knows about the TFs etc, but beyond the first few eps, he's basically never mentioned again.

5. I think it was explained earlier? The Autobots used human forms to blend in with humans, the Decepts used monsters 'cause... err, they're baddies.

Submarauder/Gilmer: Grr! I'm a fish! Tremble in fear!

Anywho, for Masterforce, you just gotta pretend they're in their own world.

I did a long search here to see if any of this was ever covered and can't find it.

I have watched the first few episodes of Masterforce and it has me wondering some things.

1. What ages do the 3 Autobot Headmaster Juniors seem to be? They seem younger than Spike was in the first season of G1. And since Spike mentions that he is too young to drive, I would guess Spike is 15 (though why a 15-year-old was working on an offshore oil rig is beyond me). So I would guess that the group would be roughly 13? Minerva seems a bit more mature than the other 2, which would make sense.

2. Did Hawk say that they had been there on the planet since the time when humans were living in caves?! Does that mean the Pretenders were there the whole time from "More than Meets the Eye" part 1 through the end of the Headmasters series? Then why didn't they do anything to help their fellow Autobots? I'm hoping I missed some explanation there. It would also be nice to understand where Pretender technology came from and why (if it has been around so long) they have not used it before.

3. How did G1 play out with Beast Wars in Japan? Did they treat it as its own continuity? If not, then I guess the Pretenders showed up on Earth right after the Maximals left. It would be cool to see some Pretenders vs the Vok stories. (I know that some significant changes would need to be made to the translation of BW to make it fit to their continuity. But I don't think it would have been impossible.)

4. Is the relationship between Hawk and Shuta's father explained in any more detail later? It seems like he was someone significant to the Transformers in the past.

5. Why is it that all of the Autobot Pretenders used are the ones without animal-faced power suits? Was there some significance to the ones that had the animal faced suits in Japan?

So far, I am enjoying the series but am surprised to hear that many like it more than Headmasters. The animation is batter in many ways, but the fact that the show is so far mostly about humans and not very many Transformers caught me off guard. I'm constantly wondering what the rest of the Autobots must be up to while all of the Masterforce events on Earth are happening. I guess I need to keep watching.

And I really am not into the character of Cab. Imo if Wheelie is annoying, Cab is ten times worse.

ok...I'm a huge masterforce fan...so let me take a crack at this...

the kids are about 12-13 years old...

Hawk and company had been there since pre civilization. And yes, masterforce is seperate from the g1 universe, followed up by Victory then Zone (Ginrai became Victory Leo, and Victory Sabre was in Zone). And while there are re-used designs (Fortress Maximus is Grand Maximus and Zarak/Scorpinock is Black Zarak) they are totally different characters.

They actually had Beast Wars as part of G1, with Megatron being g1 megs and Primal being Prime...they didn't know the full extent of the show when season one came out, so this later led to some confusion...

I think Shunta's dad works for Hawk...because he helps with the makeing of Godbomber

The Autobots chose human guises to blend in...and keep tabs for when the decepticons reappeared. The cons used the beast forms probably to rule humans based on fear. To be creatures of legend.

I find Masterforce the best of the 3 Japanese series...the characters are balaced and not over powered (starsabre), the kids are No where near as annoying as Wheelie and Daniel...and the 'cons just rock. Dreadwind and Darkwing became two of my favorites. I HAD to have the figures after watching Masterforce (and I got em as well!)

IF we throw away the pises of steaming crap called Rebirth, MAsterforce fits in Perfictly with G!! BeastWars fits in too, IF we remember the Notion that Rodimus Convoy Left to Rebuild, by Battlestars: THe Retern of Convoy, Hot Rod is back in action, as is Seibertron. THat would also acount for the Structual Diferences in Beast Machines such as the Key to Victer Sigma, the Plasma Energy Chamber etc. Scence the Wreckers Comics don't directly mention Rebirth, they fit in too.

Only four autobot pretenders were released in Japan, the rest were American. Hence why there are only four prenteders on the show.

Scence the Wreckers Comics don't directly mention Rebirth, they fit in too.

yes they do, Devcon says he liked Arcee better when she had a kid in her head. That sure sounds like Rebirth to me :tftongue

Only four autobot pretenders were released in Japan, the rest were American. Hence why there are only four prenteders on the show.

Ahhh...thanks for clearing that up. It makes more sense now. But those animal-face suits are still kind of odd.

And speaking of Devcon, how did that become the character's name? When I watch the gambler, it still sounds like his name is Defcon (as in the cool sounding word meaning defense condition). I have no idea why he would be named that, but it makes no less sense than Devcon.

X-Bob, I'll gladly ignore rebirth. Seeing the interview on the DVD confirms some guesses as to why it was so confusing. I have an easier time following and enjoying the Japanese Headmasters series without subtitles even though I don't speak Japanese. I really couldn't pick up on the idea behind any of the new characters in Rebirth.

That reminds me of another question. What characters appeared in Rebirth but never appeared in any part of the Japanese continuity? Example: does Punch/Counterpunch show up? What about the clones?

I do see some strange inconsistencies with the future-style of Headmasters and the present-day appearance of Masterforce. I had never even thought that they might not be the same continuity. I had been making excuses to myself, thinking about how all the "present-day" styles could just be a retro trend in the future. :)

I'm going to try to figure out where the Autobot Pretenders were spending their time while Optimus and the crew were dormant on earth for 4 million years. I need to explain that to myself. I guess like the Maximals, they just didn't know they were there. And I am also going to hope that they were off doing something else until this point. Those two things are kind of major to my understanding of how the show might fit with eevrything prior to it.

the continuities pretty much branch off at Rebirth/Headmasters. Rebirth leads into Beast Wars and Beast Machines, along with some stuff from comic continuity mixed in there. Headmasters leads into Masterforce and so on until you get the Japanese Beast Wars series. US and Japanese continuity do not fit together perfectly, no matter how hard X-BoB wishes they would.

Headmasters leads into Masterforce and so on until you get the Japanese Beast Wars series.

So is it for sure that Beast Wars the Second and BW Neo do not take place after Zone?

Do those two fit at all with Car Robots, Micron Legend/Superlink, or Galaxy Force?

One thing I found really strange tonight while watching another episode was that while Jinrai was looking at newspaper clippings, one clipping said "Destrons" while another said "Decepticons." I wonder if they were giving a nod to the english language word or if they were leaving possibilities open for a dubbed version.

Archived