What makes great Transformers great?

BotCollector

In managing Botcollector, I of course admit that all of the opinions, reviews, etc. of figures, especially in the GUIDE, are very subjective. I have my own very specialized love of Transforming Robots and opinion of what makes the good ones good and the sucky ones suck. In determining how figures are judged in the Reviews, for instance, I was confident in addressing only:

- Appearance: both (or all) modes. Does it look just like a car, or just like a futuristic vehicle/animal, etc.? Does it ALSO look excellent as a Robot? To me, a perfect appearance in one Mode and a crappy appearance in another means no good. They are robots in disguise, not cars that are pretty obviously robots some of the time, or awesome cars that look like awesome cars standing on their rear bumper with short little arms as robots.

- Poseability: This was one I never saw much focus on whenever anyone else who was a collector discussed their own reviews or opinions. I think it's a HUGE part of the coolness of the figure. I think this is proved quite easily when showing a non-collector a really awesome Transformer. Jetfire, Optimus Primal (Ape, not bat), BT Smokescreen; I'll sell one of these to people who don't even collect toys just because of how insanely badass it is when posing. If you can't pose the guy, that's a collectible black hole; not even coolness escapes it.

- Durability: If part of the transformation involves repeatedly attaching limbs and accessories, that's not so much fun. Likewise, if something's prone to break after 30 or 40 transformations, that's a weakness and a flaw in the coolness of the figure. Plus, I'm a very active participant in collecting; I'm always pulling guys out of the display cabinet to mess with or show people, and some things invariably get dropped. Loosening is also part of this. If a guy can't hold his gun up anymore after a few transformations, he's ill. Todd McFarlane really lost a potential loyalist with that. I normally only do transforming toys, but he had a few figures that really were quite kick-ass in appearance. But I got some, and after posing them like 2 times, they stopped standing up and being able to hold their arms up. *thunk* (that's the sound of me not buying any more McFarlane stuff). A figure that maintains structural integrity as well as tightness is where it's at.

- Transformation: Closely related to appearance, probably, but still an important aspect of the enjoyment of the transforming robot concept. A few flips and turns isn't really a great play experience for me. Usually, the crappier the transformation, the crappier the appearance (ie. Throttleb*retch*,*gag*...ahem, sorry, I always have a tough time saying it because they're so freakin' ill...THROTTLEBOTS). A nice complex transformation, or a few surprising little gimmicks really make the toy enjoyable. Ie., Masterpiece Prime's little arm hatches that you fold out and use to push his fists in; that's cool. Optimus Primal's robot feet sliding out on those pistons; that's cool. The way you pull the G1 cars' belt/codpiece up and rotate the entire upper torso around, then lock into place with the belt/codpiece again; that's cool.

- Overall appeal: There are some things that defy categorization, or have to be put into a vague category like "gimmicks." Lights, sounds, flip-out communicators, compartments, cool ways to store stuff in a guy, Armada Op's self-transforming mechanisms, Air Attack Primal's jetpack sound that changes depending on his position in space, even non-tangibles like momentous history or place in the line's story, can apply here. For instance, I was slightly kinder to the original G1 Megatron in Botcollector's Review because of his role in the toyline; one of the first, and certainly very cool, but I never got him as a kid because he looked so ill in Robot Mode (my tastes have become slightly more refined, and I like Megatron a lot more now)

But anyway, these were THE things I found most important, as a kid when I first got into them and through to today. Do other people find aspects of the figure that are more important when deciding if you want one, or what place it holds in your collection, or whether you decide to get it as a present for a potential fellow fan, etc.? Keep in mind we're only talking about the toy's qualities, not the character from shows, movies, comics, etc.

I would be interested in seeing some well-thought-out input on this.

Another huge post :clap

Anyway, you basically covered everything I look for in a transformer. Cool appearance in both forms, poseability, durability and a fun transformation. Theyre all things I hope for in a transformer.

Sometimes though, ill just fall in love with a bot. Tidal Wave for example, while he isnt very posable and his transformation is nothing special, I just love him. Same with E ravage, I didnt think id enjoy him but I bought him anyway. After getting home and holding him, he's one of my new favorites.

Anyway, you basically covered everything I look for in a transformer. Cool appearance in both forms, poseability, durability and a fun transformation. Theyre all things I hope for in a transformer.

Sometimes though, ill just fall in love with a bot. Tidal Wave for example, while he isnt very posable and his transformation is nothing special, I just love him. Same with E ravage, I didnt think id enjoy him but I bought him anyway. After getting home and holding him, he's one of my new favorites.

thats why i said replay value,i think thats all botcollector left out

It depends on the buyer really, a great TF for me is one that triggers off a little childish fun in me. Like with Storm Jet, whenever I get the urge to play with him, I play like a child would and I only stop when I'm becoming dozy. Was playing with Armada Smokescreen earlier, he may noy be much of a TF, but he's fun to play with.

-Chuckles

It depends on the buyer really, a great TF for me is one that triggers off a little childish fun in me.  Like with Storm Jet, whenever I get the urge to play with him, I play like a child would and I only stop when I'm becoming dozy.  Was playing with Armada Smokescreen earlier, he may noy be much of a TF, but he's fun to play with.

Tony.

I thought i was the only one who played with my transformers like that. Ravage has been beating up on strongarm for the past 20 minutes :tfevil

Another huge post :clap

*ouch*

I hang my head in shame, and yet shrug at the same time. I would also say "what can I do, it's in my nature," but in hanging my head and shrugging at the same time, I think I impacted the vertebrae in my neck and all I can manage is a strangled yelp.

*MEDIC!!!*

Another huge post  :clap

*ouch*

I hang my head in shame, and yet shrug at the same time. I would also say "what can I do, it's in my nature," but in hanging my head and shrugging at the same time, I think I impacted the vertebrae in my neck and all I can manage is a strangled yelp.

*MEDIC!!!*

dont worry man, im applauding your large posts. Theyre a good read and very well written. So far you've managed to get some quite interesting disscusions going. Hang your head high, not in shame. But uhh..... be careful :P

Archived