Shockblast's new arm and first eye-test!

Dark_Lord_Prime

I'll be posting a few more pics this evening.

Shortly after I took those last ones, I went to transform him back to tank mode (to show he still could), and the terminals on the button-switch finally snapped off.

So, I hadda take him all back apart again and start over on the button.

I pulled the one out of the big Meg's tank, and promptly managed to get superglue in the button, so it couldn't be pressed anymore. :redface

Then, I finally got the tip off the shock-cannon I'm modifying (heat gun on low, briefly, softened that damned glue so I could wiggle it apart) and pulled the button out of it.

That was then hot-glued in place inside Shocky's chest and wired in, and the button-cap from the big tank (the one that pressed the activator for the missile-launcher's sound-effect) hot-glued on top of the new eye-light button. Much improved, and a lot more accessible than the first one was.

So, I'll take pics of the new button and tank mode when I get home tonight. :thumb

Next step: making the shock-cannon attach to his new arm. After that, I'm gonna try to install an LED and button to light up the cannon's "claw" blades and the backs of the solar-panels.

That button might end up as a switch, integrated into the new launcher control I plan to install (as I'll be removing the slider-bar that's already there), but I'll see when I get to that point.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love what he looks like with two arms and no shields. He needs something for the arms, but I'm not sure what, but I have to admit he looks better than he did lugging around that big honkin' 'tard arm.

The lighting trick is nothing short of utter brilliance and the cords look AWESOME poking out from behind his head. However, I would have done something to cover up the roof of Shockblast's head. The eye glow is sexy, but the top of his head glowing throws it off a bit.

Love what he looks like with two arms and no shields. He needs something for the arms, but I'm not sure what, but I have to admit he looks better than he did lugging around that big honkin' 'tard arm.

The lighting trick is nothing short of utter brilliance and the cords look AWESOME poking out from behind his head. However, I would have done something to cover up the roof of Shockblast's head. The eye glow is sexy, but the top of his head glowing throws it off a bit.

Yeah, I was wondering if I should cover that up or not. Nothin' a little purple paint won't fix. :thumb

My god, I'm going to have nightmares for some time! \[O]/ :thumb :thumb

• 4 weeks later...

Progress update!

I now have a soldering iron with extra tips! Two chisel-heads and one hot razor-knife. :D

Therefore, I've just completed the next stage of the cannon mod, and thought you guys might wanna see it. :)

dscf0400.jpg

dscf0399.jpg

dscf0397.jpg

I had been planning to make slots in the back of his arm to match these newly-cut tabs, then I realized that he already had holes to accomodate 'em!

dscf0396.jpg

Here, you can see the tabs inserted into the pre-existing holes, located immediately in front of the shield-gun mount:

dscf0395.jpg

I had to cut this hole in the battery-cover to accomodate his thumb. The thumb doesn't protrude past the surface of the cover, and won't be particularly noticeable after I paint the cannon black (with either chrome or purple chrome highlights). Also, I saw some liquid plastic (plastic dip for pliers handles and such) that I might be able to brush on around the edges of this and the arm hole.

dscf0394.jpg

The elbow joint is just ever-so-slightly too weak for this. It'll hold the cannon up in a pose, but the slightest jarring makes it drop. I've got a couple ideas for firming this up, but that can wait for now.

dscf0393.jpg

That's it, for now! Next step: cleaning up those ugly, jagged edges, then on to installing the new launcher mechanism and LED to light up the solar-panels and Energon "claw".

Archived