FAN POLL - How Much has the COVID-19 Pandemic Reduced Your Collecting?

BaCon

No doubt about it, these are strange days that hit most of us without a chance to prepare. This can leave toy collectors in a precarious situation of having to give up some or even all of their hobby to pay for food, rent, and utilities. Vector Prime - Guardian of time and space.Even if you have the money to spend, there are new challenges to deal with in both retail and online shopping.

Click Image to Read the Full News Story Now

Fan%20Poll%20-%20How%20Much%20has%20the%

It has actually started my collection. I retired from my career with the state prison system due to COVID19 and got a massive 10 year retirement check. So the first few days of being home I watched the 1980s transformers movie again. This sparked something in me, being a transformers fanatic as a child, and so now I have nothing to do all day but surf eBay for deals and rare transformers. I mainly just collect all the versions and releases of my favorite character Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime but I have acquired a few other really cool pieces. Of course I've also spent a ton, but I've had a blast. 

20200418_161224.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Erium said:

It has actually started my collection. 

20200418_161224.jpg

Holy God Primus! That is great to hear, Erium. I think you chose a great time to get into Transformers. There are many collectors who need to sell their stuff to pay bills, and having active collectors to support them is a win win for everyone.

I can easily say that, in the current situation, I've been buying more than usual. I had already cut back on buying new product off the shelves due to "price vs. personal value" collecting, but in the past couple weeks I've actually grabbed a few more items off of eBay than I usually do. Four Prime toys (Dark Energon Wheeljack, AM Rumble & Frenzy, and AM Terrorcon Bumblebee), where before that I'd bought one Siege or Studio Series toy every couple months. And I'm looking to pick up more.

So, really, it hasn't gone down at all. If anything, it's just redirected my focus on what I'm willing to spend my money on - after all, if modern pieces I only kinda have interest in are not that far off, price-wise, from older items that I'd actually really like to have, why not just spend the extra scratch on the more sought-after pieces?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Boy Blunder said:

...after all, if modern pieces I only kinda have interest in are not that far off, price-wise, from older items that I'd actually really like to have, why not just spend the extra scratch on the more sought-after pieces?

Same here, I bought more vintage toys last year than new ones. 

21 minutes ago, BaCon said:

Holy God Primus! That is great to hear, Erium. I think you chose a great time to get into Transformers. There are many collectors who need to sell their stuff to pay bills, and having active collectors to support them is a win win for everyone.

You know what I didn't even think that they might be doing that. If I order anymore I'll be sure to order from US sellers and not the chinese figure vendors (a lot of really good deals to be found buying from Chinese eBay sellers, I've gotten a few MISB legit non-rodimus masterpieces for insane low prices there only downside is shipping time). I am a guitar player/collector as well and I know the value of selling your collectibles to people you can contact later if they eventually want to sell it back to you. Heck a lot of the local guitar economy works like that lol, its like one big never-ending swap meet and that way you never completely lose things you're attached to. I am glad to help out my fellow transformers fanatics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Erium said:

Heck a lot of the local guitar economy works like that lol, its like one big never-ending swap meet and that way you never completely lose things you're attached to. I am glad to help out my fellow transformers fanatics.

Right on, If musicians down give each other a break, no one will.

This is a tough question to answer since as a reviewer I'm keeping my eyes forward with for new product that might not be coming. I really don't shop in brick and mortar stores anymore so most of my purchases come from eBay and Amazon. I noticed recently that most of my pre-orders on Amazon have gone from May-Aug/Sept. to September-November. I think that's a generous estimate at best since we don't know what was made before factories shut down. I hate to say it but the only people I see doing well are the ones buying and selling the lunchtime specials. As it is my focus is on a few Gundam kits I'd like to get as those seem to be coming on time. 

• Like 1