OPINION: Five Things Other Than The Matrix Of Leadership Standing In HasLabs Unicron's Way

RAC

With under two weeks left, HasLabs Unicron, the largest Transformer ever made in potentia, is hovering around a third funded. While we do expect another burst of backers near the end of the campaign as frequently happens... that number's still kinda scary. And we've spent a lot of time watching, waiting, and above all wondering: could we have been in a better place with this right now? And honestly, we think so.

Click Image to Read the Full News Story Now

Figure%20King%20No%20258%20Unicron,%20Om

• Like 1

Another point that might be a reason that people aren't going in on this is the fact that this is Hasbro, the company that brought us Prime Airacnid, Armada Sideswipe, Prime Wars P/CP and countless other "bad" toys and toys misassembled leaving the factory. Imagine paying close to $630 (tax and shipping) only for Unicron having some defect and your only options are sending it back, or trying to fix it yourself. 

• Like 1

You forgot to mention sloppy paint apps.  I can't find myself able to commit to spend almost $600 for a Siege line character after the disastrous paint apps that were applied to Jetfire.  It was a beautifully sculpted design ruined by cheap paint apps.  Unicron looks like a solid design but what am I going to get when it comes off the line?  I can't expect it to look as clean as that prototype.  That is for sure.  Until hasbro addresses that, it's a hard sell for me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chuckdawg1999 said:

Another point that might be a reason that people aren't going in on this is the fact that this is Hasbro, the company that brought us Prime Airacnid, Armada Sideswipe, Prime Wars P/CP and countless other "bad" toys and toys misassembled leaving the factory. Imagine paying close to $630 (tax and shipping) only for Unicron having some defect and your only options are sending it back, or trying to fix it yourself. 

I'd like to echo this and remind people of another glaring problem. This thing has not been through safety testing yet, so who knows what will be changed, or even if this thing can be actually delivered.

Need a example? Compare the prototype pictures of Siege Omega we were shown to the more recent production samples. The hips are completely different and to a lot of people look pretty bad.

Oh, and one more thing to consider. Everyone keeps talking about how heavy this figure is, could you imagine Metroplex-tier ratchets on a nearly 20 pound pound figure? I hope having functional fingers is not a major part of your day job.

• Like 1

For me, the main issue is the size. It really is too BIG for me to own.  I already have two Fort Max sets, MAS and other BIG toys that won't fit on the shelf sitting in storage, when Unicron practically needs its own room. There is no reason at all this exact same figure cannot be made smaller. Hopefully that is Plan-B.