Fun Publications,inc. Will Be The Official License

Guest JayC

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is good news. Only thing that I hope does not happen, is that GI Joe and Transformers "team up" for a convention. We'd be outnumbered like, 3 to 1 or something. :lol :lol

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2005 conventions teamed up and separated in subsequent years...

now by international does that mean there will be a few diffrent ones? or has the location for the 1 con just grown...

I am guessing that it will be just one convention. The annual Joe conventions are also called "international" but only happen once, at one location in the US.

This late in the game, I wouldn't be surprised to see the conventions team up, but space might be a problem. The Joe conventions are generally held in a hotel or venue much smaller than the Transformers ones. So unless the Marriott City Center Downtown in Minneapolis MN happens to have a gigantic room empty that weekend, I doubt that a combining of the conventions will happen.

That isn't to say that the Joe con was crammed. There was plenty of space at the one I went to. But the use of a hotel keeps the costs down a lot.

We'd be outnumbered like, 3 to 1 or something.

I actually think that the Transformers conventions are a lot larger. It could be the use of oversized convention centers etc that were being used, but it just seemed to me that there were more people there than at the Joe con. The popularity of Transformers seems to be a lot larger than for Joes right now.

The way that Master Collector generally runs a show is a lot more affordable than recent Transformers conventions imo. They really spend a lot of time keeping costs down. Generally, the convention sets are well thought out and include a story/theme specific to that particular year. IIRC, the main 3 3/4" set last year was $220 and included 15 figures. That does seem like a lot, but you need to keep in mind that paying for that meant that you also paid for the convention dinner (where they handed out more Joes) and seminars and round table discussions if you went or paid for shipping if you couldn't go and still wanted the set.

The conventions usually have the one main set for each era (12" and 3 3/4") that you can order whether or not you attend. Then if you do attend, there has in the past always been some sort of bonus that is free. In the past 2 years, they have then also had unannounced exclusive items for sale when you arrive. The total cost of the additional items has been less than the cost of the initial set.

There is also a bonus to joining the club. I think I saved at least $20 on the convention set by joining the club for $36. So in a way the monthly newsletter only cost me $16.

But more importantly, some time around april or may they did a club incentive figure. Last year the figure was entirely free with membership (glow in the dark Heavy Water). The previous year, it was $10 and available to members only (cloaked/transparent Zartan). I wouldn't be surprised to see a really cool item like this in 2006.

I am guessing that because this is a short notice for them, the first real year where we can see what to expect from their Transformers shows won't be until 2006. But judging from the way they have handled customers at the Joe conventions, I think we don't have anything to worry about.

I think that they plan to start selling membership soon. The first Transformers club newsletter is set to be out in February.

OK... 799 :)

admission to everything for the con and a 12" joe figure was something like 360 in 2004.. something along those lines is probably what we would pay for a basic figure.

That rediculous I'm sorry I don't care how sweet a convention and an exlusive i wouldn't shell out that kind of bones for it unless it was a sick resculpt or new citybot

Archived