Pre-Deluxe - Part 2 (TFSource Article)

Maz

There’s more to “Pre-Transformers” than Diaclone, Microman and Takara, and there’s definitely more to them than just being predecessors to Transformers toys. The figures we looked at last week in Pre-Deluxe – Part 1 included Takatoku and Bandai Valkyries from SDF Macross, the Mugen Calibur and Ovelon Gazzette from Dorvack – proper toy lines in their own right with animated series to boot. Now, while the remaining figures on our list didn’t enjoy an animated series, they deserve mention and recognition. This week we look at Armored Insect Battalion Beetras by Takatoku – the toys that would become Deluxe Insecticons – and briefly, Toybox’s Mechabot-1 (pre-Omega Supreme) and the Astro Magnum by Toyco (Pre-Shockwave).

xpdx09.jpg

xpdx56.jpg

All the best

Maz

Interesting way to attach Mechabot-1's tracks in robot mode in that Swiss catalog. I don't think I've ever seen an Omega Supreme set up that way.

Oh and yeah, good luck on finding info on Sky Lynx. All I know is that the toy was designed, reached prototype stage but then wasn't released by Toybox. Instead Hasbro got the mold and made Sky Lynx with it. There is some blurry tiny picture online (I can't find it right now) that is supposed to be a photo of Toybox's prototype. I don't even think packaging, art or story had been made before Hasbro got it. Would be interesting to know more than just it happened to be in Tomy's possession at the time they merged with Takara, and is the reason we got a reissue of it.

There's a collector int he UK that has a painted hardcopy prototype of Skylynx and he says the resin under the Transformers colour scheme is a little different, maybe a clue as to what it would have looked like as a Toybox release.

All the best

Maz

Archived