Transformers and GI Joe SDCC Crossover Set Claimed to Violate Harmony Gold-USA's License

BaCon

Transformers%20JetFire%20%202013%20SDCC% DOH! It appears that Hasbro's SDCC exclusive GI Joe meets Transformers has landed them in court with a law suit from Robotech distributors Harmony Gold-USA. Court House News is reporting: "G.I. Joe and the Transformers ... The Epic Conclusion" violates Harmony Gold-USA's copyright license on the animated Japanese TV series (1982-84) from which the epic conflict originated. Harmony Gold claims in Federal Court that was filed on July 22, 2012.

View the full article

Unless a booster pack is all it takes to violate the copyright, I don't think that Harmony Gold stands a chance. They might as well sue Revell for making an F-14 model kit.

Quick get this set because it will be illegal to own it based on a claim from a company claiming that it violates a copyright but there is no explanation to what that actually means......:tfevil

Harmony Gold are bullies, so it's not necessarily going to be about the merits of the claim. Rather, it'll be about how far Hasbro wants to go in time and money fighting it. If this does go to court, Hasbro would probably be well aided by the existence of Classics Jetfire which features the similar deco and booster module and which so far as I've ever heard Harmony Gold never tried to take action against. The trick with copyright is that the holder is obligated to defend it vigorously. When they start letting things slide is where a problem starts and a judge might observe in a case down the road "you didn't take action against this very similar example several years ago" which would make it more difficult for them to raise challenge again on the same alleged infringement.

But Harmony Gold is infamous for over-reaching their rights, it's just usually against entities that don't have the means to fight back. My sincerest hope is for Hasbro to see the value in taking the effort to give them a well deserved bloody nose.

Harmony Gold are bullies, so it's not necessarily going to be about the merits of the claim.

I would have to guess that the actual Harmony Gold and Hasbro lawyers are not actually concerned about this. Some fanboy probably wrote a letter to Harmony Gold saying it looked like their Veritech, and they were legally obligated to "vigorously defend" their intellectual property as a matter of course. Once this suit is filed, the judge will find that it doesn't violate their IP and everyone will go home, the lawyers having done their job.

Archived