"?" for anyone who has repainted Alt. Silverstreak

The REAL Generation Zero

I'm working on a Prowl repaint, my first repaint project... I have Silverstreak dissasembled, and have removed the Autobot logo from his shoulder with paint thinner and cotton squares (designed for makeup removal, I think... Eckerd cosmetics section. Like cotton balls, only in quilted squares... more durable). That came off fairly easily, but when I tried spraying the Fusion on the head, it got all bubbley and wouldn't stick. It was then that I noticed that the silver is actually paint, and not bare plastic like Sideswipe or Hound.

Is this silver paint on the whole car going to have to be stripped off, or will the (gloss white) fusion paint stick to the silver? If it all must come off, what is the best method? The paint thinner method I used on the autobot logo is working, but VERY slowly and taking a great deal of "elbow grease", to the point that my thumbs are about to fall off after roughly two hours of rubbing, and I still don't even have the head pieces paint free yet.

I was thinking of soaking all the pieces in paint thinner overnight or something, but I don't know if this will hurt the plastic or not. If anyone has any advice on this topic, I would greatly appreciate it. I'd like this one to turn out nice, and I'm sure it will, if I can just get past the initial paint issue. Please advise... Thanks!

I noticed the same problem when I went to paint my silverstreak into prowl. The "bubble effect" creeped me out big time.

I ended up just painting the whole thing by hand, but I don't know if I should recommend that either.

Anybody got a solution to this prob?

Do not soak plastics in paint thinners. It will cause it to expand.

As for painting, try applying multiple dry coats. When I say dry, I mean very,very thin. Allow it to dry thoroughly before applying the next coat. The solvents in the paint is what's causing the problem so by lightly applying and allowing to dry, you don't trap it under the next coat. It will take a while but should be easier than strippin the whole thing. I don't use spray bomb type paint so I'm not too sure this technique will work but it does work with base coat/clear that have trouble with fish eyes or wrinkles so I'm thinkin it's worth a try.

Let me know if it works. :thumb

Yeah, it's evil.

Here's your two choices.

1.Walmart, model kit section...Load up on Testors enamel thinner and just clean that junk off...i've done it a hundred times, so don't get lazy on me.

2. Try soaking the parts in oil-removing dish soap...This should be done before any toy is painted with Fusion, BUT, I can't guarantee it will work as well as just removing the paint with non-abrasive paint thinner(testors)

I just did a silverstreak-to-prowl conversion. Try scuff-sanding it with 0000-grade steel wool, then rinse with alcohol.

BTW, can anyone tell me where to get a decent set of police car lights for alt prowl?

2. Try soaking the parts in oil-removing dish soap...This should be done before any toy is painted with Fusion, BUT, I can't guarantee it will work as well as just removing the paint with non-abrasive paint thinner(testors)

this is how i removed the gold plating off of my 1/100 Master Grade Hyaku Shiki gundam model. it worked very well, but keep in mind that it takes time and you might have to occassionally change out the soap. and this is just straight soap, mind you, not mixed with water - that will dilute the solution.

I just did a silverstreak-to-prowl conversion. Try scuff-sanding it with 0000-grade steel wool, then rinse with alcohol.

BTW, can anyone tell me where to get a decent set of police car lights for alt prowl?

The ones I'm using come in a die cast Testors Easy Builder Silver Series kit... black & blue box... the car is an NYPD Chevy Impala. I paid $13 for the kit, and I'm using the top lights (which are the wedge shaped ones) and the push bar for the front end. The lights aren't the finest detail, but the only other ones I could find were on $35 and up die cast pre-built models. I actually wanted a straight bar, but I got tired of searching.

And thatnks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll let you know how it goes... pics soon!

Archived