Help with MP Thundercracker please

sgt__york

MP Thundercracker (original mold) was released in Japan only.

MP Skywarp had no problem selling, the price wasn't horrible. The reason why there were leftover Skywarp was because Walmart stocked too many. I never saw the Starscream in a store so I figured that must have sold well.

Again for confirmation... and my understanding..

Thundercracker was released in japan - meaning a "TAKARA" TC - ie, sold in the traditional black box.

But the Hasbro TC was not originally released.

The current Hasbro TC is a REMOLD and thus different from the Hasbro Starscream and skywarp??? This is the part i'm trying to understand. "OR" did they release a Hasbro TC in the same mold as the Hasbro Starscream and skywarp??

I posted the pictures above - how the Hasbro mold of SC and SW (which are done in original G1 colors and different than the Takara releases) had the hip kibble - and the Hasbro TC does not seem to have that.

Am I missing something??

Was there 2 different molds of Hasbro releases?? Did Hasbro have 2 different seeker molds??? Did the Hasbro (not takara) releases get released in a different mold for US and Japan??

Was there 2 different molds of Hasbro releases?? Did Hasbro have 2 different seeker molds??? Did the Hasbro (not takara) releases get released in a different mold for US and Japan??

Yes there are 2 different molds. The original (inferior) mold got Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker released in Japan. Of that mold, only Starscream and Skywarp ended up with US releases. After the "new direction" in the MP line was brought about with the release of MP10, the seeker mold was totally redone with the release of MP-11 Coronation Starscream. The Hasbro Thundercracker was a repaint of the MP-11 Starscream.

MP Thundercracker (original mold) was released in Japan only.

MP Skywarp had no problem selling, the price wasn't horrible. The reason why there were leftover Skywarp was because Walmart stocked too many. I never saw the Starscream in a store so I figured that must have sold well.

Again for confirmation... and my understanding..

Thundercracker was released in japan - meaning a "TAKARA" TC - ie, sold in the traditional black box.

But the Hasbro TC was not originally released.

The current Hasbro TC is a REMOLD and thus different from the Hasbro Starscream and skywarp??? This is the part i'm trying to understand. "OR" did they release a Hasbro TC in the same mold as the Hasbro Starscream and skywarp??

I posted the pictures above - how the Hasbro mold of SC and SW (which are done in original G1 colors and different than the Takara releases) had the hip kibble - and the Hasbro TC does not seem to have that.

Am I missing something??

I will give you the full list of Seekers so you have confirmation of them all and this should clarify your question. I got the new mold, but I am in the minority where I like the older mold better, but ONLY because I have the leg mod on the old mold. The new mold is nice, but there are some differences that exist that may or may not make him better for you.

Starscream (Green) - Mold v1 (Takara ONLY)

Starscream (G1 colors) - Mold v1 (Takara / Hasbro Walmart Exclusive)

Starscream (Ghost) - Mold v1 (Takara ONLY)

Skywarp - Mold v1(Takara / Hasbro Walmart Exclusive)

Thundercracker - Mold v1 (Takara ONLY)

That totals 7 versions with Mold v1

Starscream (G1 color) - Mold v2 (Takara ONLY)

Sunstorm (G1 color) - Mold v2 (Takara ONLY)

Thundercracker - Mold v2 (Hasbro TRU Exclusive)

*Acidstorm - Mold v2 - (Hasbro TRU Exclusive**)

*Announced to be coming out this Fall but has yet to be released. **Speculation, but I have not read anywhere that is has been a confirmed TRU exclusive)

Total of 4 versions of Mold v2

So overall we have a total of 11 MP Seekers to be released, which I think is the record holder at this point even over MP Optimus Prime.

So currently the only way to get Mold v1 of Thundercracker is the Takara version. If you only want Hasbro versions of Seekers you will have a Mold v2 Thundercracker.

When I saw the they re-released Starscream in the Mold v2 and then announced they were releasing the US Hasbro version as Mold v2 I sold my Walmart Seeker Mold v1 with the idea I would buy it as well as the Sunstorm. Then I thought about it and decided that I would have my Mold v1 Skywarp and Ghost Starscream get a leg mod and have a custom made of my Mold v2 Thundercracker into Acid Storm to go with my idea that I would get the currently released Mold v2 Sunstorm.

After getting the Mold v2 in hand, there are things I like about it, but overall I think the Alt mode suffered for the new mold, when the old one really only need the leg mod to address the hip kibble. Like I said I am in the minority with me liking Mold v1 to Mold v2.

So in the end I want to have the Original 3 Seekers in Mold v1 with leg mods and the Rainmakers in Mold v2 so they have some distinction between them. On a side note I also have the 3 igear Conehead seekers that round out my entire Seeker collection. I know this is blasphemy, but I like the iGear take on them the best because they are a hybrid of Mold v1 and Mold v2 taking the best of both and making that mold. Also, I love that they have wrist communicators as well.

I hope this helped you out as I remember your rants about MP stuff and am glad to hear that you are coming back into a time where it seems that they are now catering to the MP collectors. Take Care.

DJBomb, thanks!! I appreciate the list. Yes, I had a few rants about the MP mold - LOL - to say the least. In the end, it is why I got out of TF collecting. MP-10 really did it for me. I do like the new direction, and had said Soundwave would make the perfect new mold. Plus releasing some of the cars, is great as well. The buy-in to catchup is a bit steep now - LOL - but i'll do what I can.

As far as the seekers, I have the 3 Takara versions, along with the ghost SS. I went with the Hasbro versions of the G1 colors, and had SS and SW - but was missing TC. From what I gather from your list above, there basically is no Hasbro V1 TC - that is the one missing. They remolded the seekers, before releasing it - and just redid SS and SW. I'm not really interested in changing them out- I kinda like the storyline of one.. then changing the mold to the other and having them both on display. Plus I like to stay closer to the 1st releases when possible. Kinda like Greenscream - a lot of people hated it after the G1 came out - so they got rid of the green for it. The more people getting rid of it - just increased the value of it in the long run.

Again, I really appreciate your thorough listing for me. It is much appreciated. And thanks for remembering me as well. ;)

Archived