Help with MP Thundercracker please

sgt__york

Hey guys, I took a break from TF collecting after the release of MP-10. I just couldn't stomach any longer another "prime" release - and then in a different scale. That really sent me over the edge. I have recently checked back in to see what has been going on - and "WOW" new molds, and the release of Soundwave??? I had been calling for him as my #1 choice for almost 2 years. It's about damn time. Of course, now i'm so far behind, it's going to get expensive trying to catchup.

ANYWAYS... I have a question about MP-Thundercracker.

I know they released all 3 seekers in the Takara versions - Greenscream, skywarp and thundercracker. However by Hasbro, they had only released Starscream and skywarp. It seemed they did so poorly at their price point, that Thundercracker was not released for a long time. I see now, he was finally released!! FINALLY!!!

To my question - was this MP Thundercracker released in 2 different versions - ie, a US release and a Japan release??? Again, i'm not talking about the Takara MP-7 thundercracker. I am talking about the Hasbro version.

The reason I am asking, is I am looking at my starscream and skywarp - and it seems the appearance of the thundercracker is different.

First, in robot mode, there is no sheathing piece from his tail that sticks out along his sides, almost looking like swords. This is a huge difference in their appearance in robot mode.

Second, their decals are different. Starscream is one solid color - while TC has an outline around it.

I am curious if there are 2 different versions, and perhaps I got the wrong one to match what I already have.

I am going to try and include some photos of the two.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. Let me know if there is simply a difference in the transformation, or there was indeed a difference in the mold itself, or perhaps different versions.

Thank you!!

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/sgt__york/masterpiecethundercracker.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/sgt__york/Curio%20-%20boxes%20open/DSC03585.jpg

No it's not a transformation difference. The whole thing is different from the first mold that Starscream and Skywarp were released in. IMHO it's way better this time around. Less kibble, better head, better feet, just better all around then the first run. Couldn't tell you the specifics on which run is what, but the mold that is available on ToysRUs .com is strides better then the initial mold that came out years ago.

Personally, if you don't have a lot of money to throw around, just The new molds are very nice. I deal with my Stars ream and Skywarp because I can't justify spending the money to "replace" them with the new mold. But side by side, the only thing that bothers me is the heads. The new Thundercacker mold's head is by far impressive. I wish one of these third party companies would make a replacement head for Starscream and Skywarp. The hip kibble sucks, but I am live with it. So, if money is no option for you, get the newer versions of these Seekers. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm with FD here on not replacing my Hasbro versions with the updated molds. I'm good with their heads however. Through trial and error I'v managed to get SS & SW in stances to were the hip kibble is stowed behind them and they are stable in their poses(no rocking or otherwise). If sometime in the future Hasbro re-releases the first two with the new mold at a decent price, perhaps then(seeing as the TC mold is truly better by leaps and bounds).

Sorry for the misspellings above. Sometimes I fat finger with this iPhone. I use my stands for my seekers so they look like they are floating. So with the hip kibble pushed back, it's not too bad. And the heads aren't too bad. I just prefer the new TC one the best.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, just for confirmation tho... there is not an "old version" of thundercracker, right?? Last i recall, they had released starscream and skywarp (which didn't sell well because of it's price) - and then they didn'dt release thundercracker. That is when I took a break. Did they ever release TC in the same mold as the old one? Or did they just remold the seeker, and start off by releasing TC as the first one - the missing seeker, which has a different mold???

MP Thundercracker (original mold) was released in Japan only.

MP Skywarp had no problem selling, the price wasn't horrible. The reason why there were leftover Skywarp was because Walmart stocked too many. I never saw the Starscream in a store so I figured that must have sold well.

MP Thundercracker (original mold) was released in Japan only.

MP Skywarp had no problem selling, the price wasn't horrible. The reason why there were leftover Skywarp was because Walmart stocked too many. I never saw the Starscream in a store so I figured that must have sold well.

I saw Starscream once i think and bought it immediately. Sold very well so WM probably ordered the shit out of Skywarp... which lead to everyone to being able to find him (and my buying him at $30!) since there were so many.

I was able to buy 3 Starscreams at Walmart. One for me, one for a friend, and one for my brother. They sold like hotcakes!!! Like others said, Walmart saw how much of a hit they had with SD and thought SW would be the same. So I too was able to get 2 Skywarps for $30 each. One to display and one to open.

Archived