Who wants more Classics style Transformers toys from Hasbro?

Goktimus Prime

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of the petition recently sent to the White House asking for the construction of the Death Star.

:tflaugh

That was the stupidest of things related to Star Wars fandom. Now I understand the hipster cliche about "liking something before it was cool." I was a big Star Wars fan back in the '90s, literally before it was cool.

I thought the Death Star petition was fun. They raised the 30day signature threshold from 25k to 100k now.

This petition though isn't a bad idea, might not work, but I signed it because I agree. When faced with a comparable design from Hasbro or a Third party offering I chose the Official one. The toys right now are flying off the shelf. FOC Bruticus wasn't even represented here in San Antonio. I had to order the remaining to make a full set as they were too scarce to get. The problem was their strategy of making a million Primes and Bumblebee's and expecting them to sell. Their newer strategy to work different characters should pay off for the new movie.

I'll do third party as long as they keep making great stuff. Pricey it may be, but I get what I'm looking for and I get a great product as well.

Another thing I just thought of.... Hasbro lost their case against ASUS on the Transformer PC. Far as intellectual property goes, they don't really own the toy molds or the transforming toy concept. What they own are the character names and likenesses. The toy molds made by Takara are licensed to use for the characters. I am not a lawyer, but it would seem that a toy becomes a Transformer Brand product only when Hasbro puts their own name on it.

IP litigation aside, the point in the petition is expressed in the wording. If Hasbro makes quality G1 character updates, people will buy them instead of filling that gap with a 3rd party offering for ridiculous prices.

Let's go through this bit by bit:

1. If a third party manufacturer copies part or all of an existing figure; uses the names "Hasbro", "Transformers", or the respective faction logos; or intentionally gives cause for the average consumer to perceive their product as one associated with the official Hasbro Transformers brand, then intellectual property infringement has occurred.

2. The vast majority of third party products do not fulfill the above criteria and do not therefore infringe upon Hasbro's intellectual property. Notable exceptions include iGear's Faith Leader figure, which clearly utilizes scaled-down MP-01 engineering; and iGear's numerous Seeker variations, which utilize MP-03 engineering.

3. The high cost of third party products is primarily reflective of the high costs of producing limited figure runs and not some kind of pricing malignancy on the part of said manufacturers. If you want cheaper figures, you have to mass produce them; if you mass produce them, they have to appeal to a much broader audience - which is precisely why Hasbro produce a multiplicity of new Bumblebee figures each year.

4. Hasbro have been quite clear that as far as they are concerned, the primary consumer of Transformers products are children; and that this is therefore the demographic they will cater to (and by extension, parents that expect a roughly $10.00 Deluxe Class price point, irrespective of the current cost of plastic). I am personally of the opinion that they are making a mistake, as demonstrated by the number of fans that spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars last year on third party products; however, this does not change the fact that Hasbro have stuck to their guns so far.

5. Transformers fans are not noted for their ability to spontaneously self-organize and pursue a particular goal; and within that fandom, there appears to be even less interest in opposing the third party market. I will be following this petition with interest, if only because I wish to see precisely how many people don't sign it.

IP litigation aside, the point in the petition is expressed in the wording. If Hasbro makes quality G1 character updates, people will buy them instead of filling that gap with a 3rd party offering for ridiculous prices.

POINT! :agree

With all due respects, Goktimus. It would be better to have just made that case and left the "Help us put an end to Third Party Transformers toys..." out. Maybe you don't mean it that way, but I am sure some people are seeing it as a bit of an attack on what these these parties are doing, for better or worse.

I have lost all interest in Hasbro Transformers for the following reasons:

1. Takara versions always have better paint apps and often additional accessories like the Arms Microns. Appears people pay to import those better versions at a premium. Why does Hasbro not simply give us the same quality product? Do they have an agreement with Takara that they must release inferior versions for the U.S. Market? They seem to be made in the same factories. Why then can they not have the same quality?

2. They cannot even control the production of a Transformers movie to keep Devastator from having balls. Michael Bay owns this, but so does Hasbro. Did they really think that was a good move to give Devastator balls and reference his scrotum?

3. The continued production of convention exclusives based on existing molds in entirely god awful color schemes. I have never understood how recoloring a toy in those awful contrasting colors made them worth buying at 5 - 6 times the price of the toy if was sold retail. Just seems a way to drive the scalper marketplace that we all know as eBay.

4. The complete unreliability of toy distribution in the big box stores. I have not once laid my eyes on a FOC Bruticus figure in any of my 3 Toys R Us, 6 Walmarts, or 4 Targets in my area. But my friend in another state says they are warming the shelves there in multiple stores. Of course, I could pay a premium via online retailers to get them, but part of the joy of toy collecting has always been the hunt. That joy is gone for me. Gas is too high to drive around to 5 or 6 stores to never see any new inventory appear.

Given that I found myself with a lot more disposable cash as a result of my toy famine in my area, I finally tried my first Third Party Transformer, TFC Hercules Exgraver. Once I got that toy and saw that you can make a solid toy with ability to take dynamic poses without empty half shells on their back and kibble, I ordered the rest. I saw value for my money once I got all six. They are sturdy when combined. Engineering is quite ingenious and the paint apps are awesome. Well worth my money.

So now based solely on that experience, I ordered the TFC Toys Uranos F-4 Phantom and F-15 Eagle toys. They also delighted me with their construction and quality. Now I’m looking at other third party manufacturers like iGear and ToyWorld and FansProject. They are inspired in their design efforts and always seem to maintain that connection to Generation 1 toys that we all crave.

Make mine Third Party from here on out. If by some chance Hasbro was to suddenly make the effort to shut these companies down, my money would not return to them. Yamato makes some great toys of Macross Valkyries. Bandai makes great toys in their Soul Of Chogokin and Super Chogokin line for the avid mecha fan. I’m just no longer interested in what Hasbro offers. They could join the movement and start making some truly inspired toys. The FOC Bruticus was a good attempt, but let’s face it. It only looks good from one side. The back side is nothing but empty shell and kibble.

Archived