Top Transformers of 2012?

chonosmoon

What are your top 5 Official Transformer figures of 2012?

I felt the year was pretty disappointing for new figures outside of the masterpiece line.

My top are:

Masterpiece Thundercracker

Masterpiece SideSwipe

Masterpiece Optimus Prime

Transformers Prime Soundwave

FOC Voyager Soundwave

RID Vehicon, that mold just kicks ass, and along with Just Vehicon has retool and custom potential (I'm listing them together since it's essentially the same mold)

Masterpiece Optimus Prime, the new mold shows that you can do better than "perfection"

Masterpiece Thundercracker, I never owned any of the previous MP seekers, and getting this guy makes me glad I never did. Seeker perfection!

Masterpiece Sideswipe, probably one of the characters I least expected to see get the MP treatment, came as a really nice surprise, intuitive transformation, and to top it off he's got the Lamborghini license!

Silas Breakdown, Breakdown was an awesome looking mold, but I never got it, glad I waited and got this cyborg version of the previous mold, closest thing to a Gobot of Gobotron we're likely to see any time soon! And did I mention that the figure just plain kicks ass? It does. Major ass.

Vehicon is most certainly on top for me. It's among the closest thing there is to perfection in a main line deluxe figure and one that the fandom can mostly agree on which happens.....never!!!

FOC Shockwave is another very solid deluxe figure and nice representation.

Prime voyager Bulkhead. Lots of flak over not getting the FE version right away made this figure unnoticed or simply not cared about by many actually turned into one of my big surprise figs for the year.

Prime Ratchet is another surprise of the year to me and simply can't ignore.

Prime Voyager Dreadwing. Love everything about this figure minus weapon gimmick.

All in all the Prime line is all win in my book. With a show I enjoy just as much, I place the line high in my all time list. For the record, I don't compare MP figures to the rest, they stay on a whole different level. My favorites come only from widely available releases as well so no 3rd party or imports.

MP Optimus Prime

FE Prime Optimus

FOC Soundwave + Laserbeak

MP Optimus Prime is just awesome. His poseability really impressed me. I wouldn't say he's better than MP1 Optimus, but he ranks right up there with him.

FE Optimus Prime always looked great in the promo pics and I was afraid I would never find him (I refuse to pay 2 - 3 times the cost of online dealers), but managed to find him at Toys R Us right before XMas. He's great. Very posable and is the perfect scale with the Prime deluxes.

FOC Soundwave really surprised me. Both modes capture his look from Fall of Cybertron perfectly. Laserbeak is just soooo cool. One push of a button and he transforms into a decent robotic bird. Well done! Ravage on the other hand.... :wtf

I'm surprised at all the votes for Dreadwing. He was a bit of a turd to me IMO. 2012 was a bit of a letdown for me and I'm losing interest in the figures, so I don't think I could muster up a list for myself.

Gee, hard to say considering how mediocre 2012's fare has been... Masterpiece Optimus Prime (though the hunt for him was a massive load of butthurt). None of the others really stand out to me. :/ Most of my more exciting acquisitions have been of toys that came out before 2012, like _finally_ finding United Frenzy/Rumble, but then surprisingly managing to score it for free. :D But yeah, although I got those toys in 2012, they're technically 2011 figures.

Archived