Masterpiece red alert

Bumbleblogn

I don't see the shoulder thing as a defect, but as a design flaw. A toy's CORE function is to be played with - and by that I mean PROPER physical play where you make it go into full speed combat etc. (think of the way Andy plays with his toys in Toy Story), and not slow and casual posing/fiddling.

So are you all saying that Red Alert _doesn't_ have this flaw?

I just don't see it. I don't think it was a design flaw. I don't play with my masterpiece toys. I handle them, I transform them, but I don't "play out" scenes like I did when I was a kid. Yes, it's true the arms don't lock into place, but they do fit snugly and if they do fall out they don't flip around.

Here's my thought. I used to collect McFarlane toys for their extreme realistic looks. They were considered "action figures", but anybody collecting them new you didn't play with them. They were glorified statues that weren't built very well. I see MP Transformers like this. They are built pretty decent, but they aren't designed to be rough housed.

Here's my thought. I used to collect McFarlane toys for their extreme realistic looks. They were considered "action figures", but anybody collecting them new you didn't play with them. They were glorified statues that weren't built very well. I see MP Transformers like this. They are built pretty decent, but they aren't designed to be rough housed.

MacFarlane toys were terrible toys. I got a few of the Samurai X toys... absolute Scheißhaus.

I don't see the shoulder thing as a defect, but as a design flaw. A toy's CORE function is to be played with - and by that I mean PROPER physical play where you make it go into full speed combat etc. (think of the way Andy plays with his toys in Toy Story), and not slow and casual posing/fiddling.

So are you all saying that Red Alert _doesn't_ have this flaw?

Most people would understand that anything with "masterpiece" in the title would realize that it was designed to be a display piece, not something you roll across the floor while saying "vrrrrooom!!!". Like I said before, if you really have to "play" with them, there's the deluxe class for that kind of thing. How old are you?????

How old are you?????

I've never understood why people seem to think toy playing is "immature" (and I thought I would have better understanding here in a community of adults who collect toys).

It's a gross misconception that full toy play is nothing more than just "Vrrooomm! Pow Pow pow!" Who EVER plays like that?!? I know I certainly never did when I was a kid. Toy play is an imaginative exercise -- think of Andy when he plays with his toys in Toy Story... you let your imagination run wild. Even during the 1980s I never played with my toys with just mindless action/violence... I always had to construct some element of story in with the fantasy. And that was part of what I really loved about Transformers over other toys, because there was this rich canon attached with the toys. These weren't just random robots that transformed and zoomed around and blew stuff up... they were actual characters, each with their own individual personality traits - desires, hopes, fears, abilities, weaknesses. That's what Michael Bay fails to understand which made his Transformers movies so disappointing (stories need to be character driven).

As I grew older, so did the complexity or sophistication of my play pattern. By time I was in high school, I was playing out actual story arcs... miniature sagas, rather than the short self-contained stories that I played out when I was younger. It would take weeks, months -- once or twice even a YEAR to play out an entire story. By time I was in senior high school, I was employing strategies... divide and conquer, the use of intelligence and counter intelligence etc. I would read books like "The Art of War" and try to apply them in toy play campaigns.

Why is it acceptable now for adults to play video games, but not play with toys? I find video games to be far less mentally stimulating than toy play, because it doesn't require nearly the amount of CREATIVITY that toy play offers. In a video game, like say Fall of Cybertron, most things are already made for you by someone else. The choices you make are limited by whatever the programmers have put in. The environments you're in, the characters you encounter, available weapons, resources etc etc etc., it's all pre-determined in the game. With toy play, YOU determine what happens... there is NO limitation except for your imagination (well, and what toys you have :P). I have WAY more fun playing with my toys than any video game. Video games honestly bore me after a while. You hear people whinge about wanting more maps or more weapons or certain abilities for characters etc. -- with toys you can just imagine up any environment, weapons or abilities for your Transformers! You want G1 Bumblebee to fly at supersonic speeds in vehicle mode? Make it so! You want G1 Galvatron to wrestle a giant teddy bear? DO IT!! There are no limits! And some Masterpieces can still be played in the same way, provided that they're solid enough. Optimus Prime(s) and Grimlock are the best (albeit pricey). Some of the others not so much because their not solid enough toys. Playing with toys isn't just about making fast action. You construct a plot - one with a complication that needs to connect to a resolution.

galvatar.jpg"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

How old are you?????

I've never understood why people seem to think toy playing is "immature" (and I thought I would have better understanding here in a community of adults who collect toys).

It's a gross misconception that full toy play is nothing more than just "Vrrooomm! Pow Pow pow!" Who EVER plays like that?!? I know I certainly never did when I was a kid. Toy play is an imaginative exercise -- think of Andy when he plays with his toys in Toy Story... you let your imagination run wild. Even during the 1980s I never played with my toys with just mindless action/violence... I always had to construct some element of story in with the fantasy. And that was part of what I really loved about Transformers over other toys, because there was this rich canon attached with the toys. These weren't just random robots that transformed and zoomed around and blew stuff up... they were actual characters, each with their own individual personality traits - desires, hopes, fears, abilities, weaknesses. That's what Michael Bay fails to understand which made his Transformers movies so disappointing (stories need to be character driven).

As I grew older, so did the complexity or sophistication of my play pattern. By time I was in high school, I was playing out actual story arcs... miniature sagas, rather than the short self-contained stories that I played out when I was younger. It would take weeks, months -- once or twice even a YEAR to play out an entire story. By time I was in senior high school, I was employing strategies... divide and conquer, the use of intelligence and counter intelligence etc. I would read books like "The Art of War" and try to apply them in toy play campaigns.

Why is it acceptable now for adults to play video games, but not play with toys? I find video games to be far less mentally stimulating than toy play, because it doesn't require nearly the amount of CREATIVITY that toy play offers. In a video game, like say Fall of Cybertron, most things are already made for you by someone else. The choices you make are limited by whatever the programmers have put in. The environments you're in, the characters you encounter, available weapons, resources etc etc etc., it's all pre-determined in the game. With toy play, YOU determine what happens... there is NO limitation except for your imagination (well, and what toys you have :P). I have WAY more fun playing with my toys than any video game. Video games honestly bore me after a while. You hear people whinge about wanting more maps or more weapons or certain abilities for characters etc. -- with toys you can just imagine up any environment, weapons or abilities for your Transformers! You want G1 Bumblebee to fly at supersonic speeds in vehicle mode? Make it so! You want G1 Galvatron to wrestle a giant teddy bear? DO IT!! There are no limits! And some Masterpieces can still be played in the same way, provided that they're solid enough. Optimus Prime(s) and Grimlock are the best (albeit pricey). Some of the others not so much because their not solid enough toys. Playing with toys isn't just about making fast action. You construct a plot - one with a complication that needs to connect to a resolution.

Whatever floats your boat man.

How old are you?????

Don't take what I said wrong Goktimus. I'm not knocking you at all. I'm 35 and have an extensive collection of toys to include dolls. I just don't really have the time right now to play out scenes. I do play around with the toys quite a bit though.

Yeah I hear ya dude. I don't have the time these days to have long extended story-campaigns either. So most of my play has regressed back to more simple stories that are really excuses for fights etc. i.e. stuff that plays out like a Michael Bay plot! :D Seriously... the Bay movie stories are like watching a 10 year old (or busy 35 year old :P) play with their toys.

"Waaaahhh! Take this, Sentinel Prime you traitor!"

"Beeeeeeee---, he's activated the Space Bridge and there's like a zillion Decepticons popping out of the moon!"

"What?! Why are there Decepticons on the moon??! Where the hell did they come from?!"

"They were hidden there for millions of years, wahahahahahaha!"

"What?! Why??! That doesn't make any se--"

"BOOM! Earth is under attack, Autobots!! Wahahahaha, Decepticons ATTAAAAAAAAAAAACK!"

shortpacked_dotm.png

Archived