New g1 combiners that would have been amazing

Amokulusprime

Although Predaking and Abominus look cool, I was never a fan of beast transformers let alone, beast combiners.....that weren't named Voltron of course, but he doesn't count.

Would have loved to see a Prime, Mirage, Jazz, Windcharcher and Sideswipe "combine" as an homage to the G1 Season 2 "Masquarade" episode. Hell, I'd take the G1 Stunticons repainted in the aformentioned autobot colors. Wonder if anyone has ever done that.

Oher than that, I always felt combiner teams was a Decepticon thing. Never really cared for Autobot combiners.

I like that there are more Decepticon combiners than Autobot Combiners, I always felt that the Autobots should seem as though they are outnumbered and darn near overwhelmed, always hated that there are more Autobot toys than Decepticons in every line, that's part of the reason I'm adding Gobot characters into my Neo-G1 lineup, mostly as extensions of Dr. Arkeville, even the Guardians.

Yeah, that's how I always felt. It always felt like the Decepticons were "cheating" when they used Combiner teams.

Sidenote: not to derail the thread, But I always wished Hasbro would have brought back the Gobots in the CHUG line somehow, since they own the brand anyways. I would have loved to see an officially updated Cy-Kill.

Continuing the Sidenote: I have some pics of a custom Cy-Kill I commissioned a while back, Xaviercal did an amazing job with it, RTS Wreck-Gar's mold just makes him look like a beast!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For more on the side note, I honestly wish Hasbro continues to ignore the go-bots as they were a joke to begin with

As for a Beast or Extinction, The Dinobots are better off as individuals, that is what makes them awesome.

For more on the side note, I honestly wish Hasbro continues to ignore the go-bots as they were a joke to begin with

As for a Beast or Extinction, The Dinobots are better off as individuals, that is what makes them awesome.

Yeah yeah we all know how you feel about Gobots, frankly I really couldn't give a crap at this point what Hasbro does, I've gotten much better Gobots through customs and Third party special editions than Hasbro could hope to touch and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I can't imagine retroactively adding in new G1 combiners, seems pointless at this point, I mean if any new combiner characters come out in the newer series, just toss them onto your classics shelf. As far as new characters to sneak into G1 fiction I'd love to see Decepticon headmaster Tarantulas.

Yeah retroactively placing characters or abilities would be stupid, though like you, there is a character in G1 that needs a little more loving, Takara should make the New Rodimus mold

Dinobots as combiners is awesome. They are at war and a massive combiner has size and strength advantages that single bots don't have. Because they are at war and have been for millions of years it only makes sense that the Autobots would adapt the gestalt for their use also.

That is why the Autobots made the Aerialbots and Protectobots. The Dinobots as individuals are far more a threat as individuals then they would be combined do to their primal nature

Take the animated movie for instance. If the dinobots had combined, Uicron could have easily just swatted them like a bug, or crushed them like he did the Junkion's ship. Instead, they all attacked in a cluster, and broke away when Unicron went to grab them.

The same would be if they fought Devastator. One hulking robot, having to try and take on 5 targets instead of one. Tactically, the dinobots have the advantage

Although Predaking and Abominus look cool, I was never a fan of beast transformers let alone, beast combiners.....that weren't named Voltron of course, but he doesn't count.

Would have loved to see a Prime, Mirage, Jazz, Windcharcher and Sideswipe "combine" as an homage to the G1 Season 2 "Masquarade" episode. Hell, I'd take the G1 Stunticons repainted in the aformentioned autobot colors. Wonder if anyone has ever done that.

Oher than that, I always felt combiner teams was a Decepticon thing. Never really cared for Autobot combiners.

I like that there are more Decepticon combiners than Autobot Combiners, I always felt that the Autobots should seem as though they are outnumbered and darn near overwhelmed, always hated that there are more Autobot toys than Decepticons in every line, that's part of the reason I'm adding Gobot characters into my Neo-G1 lineup, mostly as extensions of Dr. Arkeville, even the Guardians.

Yeah, that's how I always felt. It always felt like the Decepticons were "cheating" when they used Combiner teams.

Sidenote: not to derail the thread, But I always wished Hasbro would have brought back the Gobots in the CHUG line somehow, since they own the brand anyways. I would have loved to see an officially updated Cy-Kill.

I'd have flipped out for Tux,Crasher and Bad Boy as well.

What's strange is not that the 'Cons had more combiners of every sort than the Autobots--what's odd is that the Autobot combiner squads were across the board more effective than their Decepticon counterparts. The Aerialbots/Superion, Protectobots/Defensor and Technobots/Computron were more heavily armed and bot-for-bot more intelligent and skilled than either the Combaticons, Stunticons, Constructicons, Seacons or Terrorcons. The closest the 'Cons got to matching them was with the Predacons/Predaking.

Would've loved to have seen a Decepticon combiner that from an intelligence, strength and firepower standpoint that would have been the equal and more of the Autobot combiner squads.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had a lot of money, ya know?

I would get on a plane everytime someone mentions the dinobots should have been a combiner. I'd then find the person's house, knock on their door and then muster all my nerd rage to falcon punch them in the face once they opened that door.

Like seriously, right in the face, as hard as I could

likeaboss.jpg +1 QFT

haha. wow. Raiden was cool but really didnt get much screen time in Headmasters.

The toy's a piece of crap. Oh sorry, pieces of crap. Being compatible with toy train sets is cool, and it's cool how they can couple in train mode and all... but the individual robots are weak, and the gestalt mode is pretty ordinary, even by Diaclone standards. Out of the Diaclone gestalts that made it into Transformers, the Construction Robo (Devastator) set was clearly superior, and I can see how Hasbro chose them over the Train Robo (Raiden) set.

Although Predaking and Abominus look cool, I was never a fan of beast transformers let alone, beast combiners.....

I like the Beast Wars gestalts - they represented a significant advance in Transformers gestalt toy engineering that had been started by Lio Kaiser (which I would argue was the best designed of all the G1 gestalts), because they have all self-contained combiner parts. Magnaboss and Tripredacus' heads, feet, connecting points etc., everything was contained in the toys. Unlike many other gestalts, it wasn't dependent on accessories to complete the combination. You look at Devastator - that needs SO many accessories to connect the Constructicons together. You lose stuff like the head, forearms, fists, waist plate etc., and you're screwed. The worst you can do with the BW gestalts is lose the weapons, but you can NEVER lose anything that makes them combine. Short of just breaking the toys horribly, the BW gestalts will _always_ be able to combine!

We saw this engineering continue in Car Robot/RiD with JRX and Build King -- same engineering concept, but with vehicles (bullet trains and construction vehicles) instead of beasts. Energon took a step backward because the hands and feet were detachable accessories, but Legends Class ROTF Devastator used the same concept (oh, so did Combiner Class Devastator, but that doesn't really count since those vehicles can't even freakin' transform into robots). But yeah, the Beast Wars gestalts were the first Transformers gestalts to have 100% fully self contained combining parts.

I don't know if I'd say "overwhelmed," there are only slightly more Decepticon/Predacon gestalts than there are Autobot/Maximal ones. If we look at G1* alone, it's evenly split with 11 each.

Autobots

Computron

Defensor

Guard City

Landcross

Raiden

Road Caesar

Sixbuilder

Sixliner

Sixtrain

Sixturbo

Sixwing

Decepticons

Abominus

Battle Gaia

Bruticus

Devastator

Dinoking

King Poseidon**

Lio Kaiser

Menasor

Monstructor

Piranacon**

Predaking

^11 per side

But I know what you mean about the goodies often outnumbering the baddies though. Especially now that Hasbro insists on putting a freaking Bumblebee in EVERY assortment, and guys like TF Prime RiD Vehicon is shortpacked. Imagine if it were the other way around... TF Prime would be so much cooler IMHO!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Original G1 only, not including reissue variants like Verserker Sixwing

**Yes, I've counted King Poseidon and Piranacon separately because they are technically different characters

I don't know if I'd say "overwhelmed," there are only slightly more Decepticon/Predacon gestalts than there are Autobot/Maximal ones. If we look at G1* alone, it's evenly split with 11 each.

Autobots

Computron

Defensor

Guard City

Landcross

Raiden

Road Caesar

Sixbuilder

Sixliner

Sixtrain

Sixturbo

Sixwing

Decepticons

Abominus

Battle Gaia

Bruticus

Devastator

Dinoking

King Poseidon**

Lio Kaiser

Menasor

Monstructor

Piranacon**

Predaking

^11 per side

But I know what you mean about the goodies often outnumbering the baddies though. Especially now that Hasbro insists on putting a freaking Bumblebee in EVERY assortment, and guys like TF Prime RiD Vehicon is shortpacked. Imagine if it were the other way around... TF Prime would be so much cooler IMHO!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Original G1 only, not including reissue variants like Verserker Sixwing

**Yes, I've counted King Poseidon and Piranacon separately because they are technically different characters

You left out Superion.

Archived