Shapeways Modeling Thread

Markusius

I haven't tried any of the sealing methods, but I'd be most interested in your results.

The thing about the reprap printer is it's got pretty poor resolution from what I've seen. Also the fact that you have to build in the support structures and then break them off after printing, bothers me. For larger parts though, I'm sure it would be a god-send. For the tiny parts that I design though it'd be a nightmare. lol

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was definetly thinking about RepRap for internal pieces and higher detail parts finished in a post process or Shapeways print for the exterior. Yeah, low cost home printers aren't up to snuff for the detail your producing. Soon though. I'd like to make parts that people can use at home during their customizations. Custom heads, feet, chest pieces etc. Really want to make a bracket system where a combiner can be made without having to cut up the original piece too much. Definetly want to get into the accessories like Fakebuster without reproducing the same things that he's making and without the overhead. It's what I love about the Shapeways model for a designer. We don't have to have an inventory and place orders. If Procustomizer Guy wants to use our 3d modelled head on his next commission then he places the order and it's delivered 3 weeks later.

White Strong Flixible sucks up a ton of paint. I want to get a good sealing mixture down that takes care of this upfront so once paint is applied it doesn't take a million coats to get a nice finish.

One excuse I give to the wife (for a 3d printer) is that our daughter is heading to a Science and Engineering Academy for high school next year. It's faster for her to print parts at home then it is going to be waiting at school for the parts to be printed. Almost have her pegged. She would probably go for me piecing it together opposed to buying a $2000+ finished model.

• 4 weeks later...

Was definetly thinking about RepRap for internal pieces and higher detail parts finished in a post process or Shapeways print for the exterior. Yeah, low cost home printers aren't up to snuff for the detail your producing. Soon though. I'd like to make parts that people can use at home during their customizations. Custom heads, feet, chest pieces etc. Really want to make a bracket system where a combiner can be made without having to cut up the original piece too much. Definetly want to get into the accessories like Fakebuster without reproducing the same things that he's making and without the overhead. It's what I love about the Shapeways model for a designer. We don't have to have an inventory and place orders. If Procustomizer Guy wants to use our 3d modelled head on his next commission then he places the order and it's delivered 3 weeks later.

White Strong Flixible sucks up a ton of paint. I want to get a good sealing mixture down that takes care of this upfront so once paint is applied it doesn't take a million coats to get a nice finish.

One excuse I give to the wife (for a 3d printer) is that our daughter is heading to a Science and Engineering Academy for high school next year. It's faster for her to print parts at home then it is going to be waiting at school for the parts to be printed. Almost have her pegged. She would probably go for me piecing it together opposed to buying a $2000+ finished model.

awesome. Yeah, I love the fact that we can more or less "drop ship" with Shapeways so in that regard the shop model works great. If only the pricing were better :(

My wife has agreed to us saving up some $$ to get me a printer along the lines of $1,000 or so. It will take a while to save up that much and hopefully I'll be able to get more printer for my money by then.

• 3 months later...

Been awhile. Started using some nice joint push/pull and edge beveling tools. Instead of finishing my custom Omega Supreme from the first go I'm going to attempt to make it all from Shapeways printed parts. WSF polished at home using a dremel and a poly brush wheel. Below is my work so far on the exterior of the feet. It's been slimmed down a bit from the picture. At four inches high each lower leg portion in WSF is $52.

post-1739-0-00637200-1378169215.jpg

This upper torso was inspired by one of the comic versions mixed with the original TV series Omega Supreme. Going to make a more G1 looking toy torso also. The legs and head are already printable but the torso and thighs are jus the outer shell and would print solid if I uploaded them.

post-1739-0-99749300-1378691141_thumb.png

Archived