Shapeways Modeling Thread

Markusius

My Ariel Customs ROTF Leader Prime hands arrived today. Had alot of powder in it still that had to be scraped off. Assembly was tough though as the knuckles were very tight. They loosened up after a few rotations.

I'm amazed at the level of detail that's available. Can't wait to get some pieces printed off to check out.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arial Lemon aka Fakebusker does some amazing work. Pretty sure he works professionally as a product designer, and I think he MAY have done some work for hasbro as an intern when he was going to school in the states. I'm friends w/ him on facebook and tend to bug him w/ questions and stuff whenever I see him online lol

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: wtf? why was my text all dark? I hate wysiwyg editors.... had to select all and make it white

I uploaded my new Bruiser kit to shapeways and found that the colored options were no longer available.. it later dawned on me that the printing bounding boxes must be different for dyed and polished parts than for WSF. Something I really hadn't thought of before.

So I created a sketchup file with all the bounding boxes for all the materials we're likely to need (not bothering w/ alumide or sandstone or anything) and put them in a separate layer.

So now you should be able to copy and paste the boxes into whatever layout file you have going and they will be on their own layer. You can then go to Window>>Layers to turn on and off that layer while your working. :)

Enjoy, and happy new year.

The file was too big to attach so I've uploaded it to the sketchup 3D warehouse. You can download the file from there to use as your layout file, or you can import it directly into your working files using that icon that looks like a cardboard box w/ a yellow down arrow and then search for "shapeways"

Shapeways Bounding Boxes by Chris - 3D Warehouse

post-9146-0-73088600-1357138506.png

• 2 months later...

Wu, have you tried anything in frosted ultra detail yet? I need to get a Omega Supreme head printed off but I'm not too fond of the white and flexible powdered look.

Are those bounding boxes the bed sizes that can be printed?

Wu, have you tried anything in frosted ultra detail yet? I need to get a Omega Supreme head printed off but I'm not too fond of the white and flexible powdered look.

Are those bounding boxes the bed sizes that can be printed?

So far I've gotten a kreon skull, the roadbuster head, and an omega supreme helmet visor printed in FUD. The results are quite nice and crisp. I haven't tried printing anything that requires the flex of popping a ball joint in yet though. But I have to say, the WSF we've been getting lately is far less quality that the stuff we got a year ago. The amount of powder left behind is much higher and the print quality is all over the place. More often than not, looking kinda muddy.

Yes, that's the size of the printer bed. That file has all of the different material bounding boxes drawn out along w/ labels and guides for the smallest common area. It's handy to have if you're going to be putting together an order with a lot of parts

Planning on printing this helmet in FUD for a custom Omega the son and I started a while back. The head and paint are all thats left for the tank.

Still need to tweak the cannon mount, add panel lines, and seperate the face shield so it can come off and show the face. I'm trying to model this head off the Dreamwave Omega Supreme.

post-1739-0-88339300-1363234527.png

post-1739-0-67333900-1363234546.png

Planning on printing this helmet in FUD for a custom Omega the son and I started a while back. The head and paint are all thats left for the tank.

Still need to tweak the cannon mount, add panel lines, and seperate the face shield so it can come off and show the face. I'm trying to model this head off the Dreamwave Omega Supreme.

awesome work man, I'm really digging what you have here. Just be mindful of the diameter on those side/front hoses. I'd be worried about those breaking if in FUD.

So FUD is brittle? Cool, thank you I'll keep that in mind.

Might go with a more G1 toy hose design.

yeah that's what the specs say. I know that folks have gotten Fakebusker's stuff in FUD and not had issues with the ball joints so it might be okay. I plan on ordering my latest project in FUD as well as WSFP and Alumide Polished just to test out the design in different materials. Hopefully it will work as expected. The parts and ball joints are so small that I'm worried about min wall thicknesses holding and not breaking sockets as you try to snap parts together. I'm not worried too much about the WSFP but the detail in the FUD would be better. I was planning on sticking w/ the Alumide P until I read on the spec sheet that it's more brittle than the WSF.. :/

That would look the best for the endoskeleton.. we'll see though, I suppose.

Oh, I'm talking about my new line of Action Formers, if your confused lol. Posted a few wip shots on my FB page (link in siggy)

After looking this morning at the different material specs and bounding box sizes I may go with Fine Detail Plastic on the Gun turret and Frosted Ultra Detail on the rest of the head. And looking at the G1 figure I may move to a different way to connect the turret to the head. Either way I'm trying to have it uploaded to Shapeways this weekend.

Thought about doing Alumide for my DOTM Optimus Power Armor Exoskeleton. That would definetly give it a nice ancient or industrial look.

WuLongToys page liked. Great concept on the Action Formers. Oh man, polished Alumide would be a sweet look on the endoskeletons.

Archived