Shapeways Modeling Thread

Markusius

K, I've been wanting to get started modeling out parts for 3D printing quite awhile now and have just started. There are a few guys here that know alot and have already shared what they are experiencing (thanks Wu and Hellscream).

There are a few free programs out there to use. Google Sketchup is very simple to use but the free version has locked up some of the 'Solid Modeling' features like 'join/cut' and file export features as well.

First question: How do you add a face in Sketchup to close off an end of an object?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the stock version of SU (no plugins) will only fill in a face when all sides of the shape are contained and the shape is PERFECTLY flat. That said, there are a few plugins that will let you get away with a looser translation. In particular I'm thinking of a plugin called Soup Skin and Bubble that will take any shape that you've drawn out with curves or arcs or whatever and it will figure out how to put a skin on it. It also gives you options to control how the resulting skin will convex or concave. I will warn that I haven't tried it myself yet. There are also plugins that will give you greater control and flexibility with the push/pull tools, beveling edges as well as a few others that I do use.

Here's a great collection of plugins that has lead me to finding others: http://www.3dworldmag.com/2009/10/21/10_must_have_sketchup_plug_ins/

In regards to sketchup having locked features, I have yet to find that as truly the case. It's my understanding that the only difference between the free and the pro versions of sketchup have to do with licensing and integration with a 3rd party architecture program, as well as some tools that make things easier.

http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/product/whygopro.html

For the "Solid Tools" in the pro version, it should be noted that the same results can be achieved, but just not as quickly and easily. It's a pain sometimes, but such is the cost of free I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAS1EVOvDMo

There may be some plugins to get around this as well, I haven't looked for them yet.

Lastly to regard to exporting of files, Shapeways will accept DAE files, which sketchup has no problems exporting. You just have to make sure that everything is exploded (no groups or components) as anything grouped seems to get ignored by Shapeways' automated systems.

Like any program, it's all a matter of knowing what's in your toolbox in order to get the best results from the tools available.

I'm no expert by any stretch, but I'm happy to help in any way I can. My door is open, as they say.

I'll go check that out tonight since the network is too slow here at work. Looks like a good video on solid tools though.

The solid tools have a cut and join tool that would be really nice to use but they are greyed out out on the free version.

What I did notice after importing my model (.dae) into Blender is that there were only 4 vertices on the whole model and there should have been a whole bunch.

I'm working on Optimus Prime Upgrade armor based on the DOTM concept artwork.

I'll go check that out tonight since the network is too slow here at work. Looks like a good video on solid tools though.

The solid tools have a cut and join tool that would be really nice to use but they are greyed out out on the free version.

What I did notice after importing my model (.dae) into Blender is that there were only 4 vertices on the whole model and there should have been a whole bunch.

I'm working on Optimus Prime Upgrade armor based on the DOTM concept artwork.

I've never tried bring files into blender other than to muck about w/ file types very early on in my 3D skill building. However, I'd be happy to take a look at your skp if you'd like.

Had alot more luck last night using SketchUp (SU) and Blender.

What I initially did to build the chest piece was to create a plane and extrude it into a cube. Then formed all the faces by splitting each face and extruding them. In Blender apparently this is how alot of modellers build. That kept only the original 4 vertices but not the additional vertices that were extruded from the original object when I imported the .dae file into Blender.

Last night however in SU I created a plane and continued to create additional planes as the surfaces of my object. Then when it was imported into Blender every corner had a vertice linked to an edge and a face and they could be manipulated individually.

I did copy and mirror half of the chest plate to merge over into the complete chest plate and tried what you were mentioning before about intersecting the planes. That didn't work so I stitching them together with a rectangular plane and deleted the old edge lines.

What I like about Blender is that I can select vertices and move them with by dragging the axis arrows. I'll try to get some images linked this week to show you what I'm talking about.

Had alot more luck last night using SketchUp (SU) and Blender.

What I initially did to build the chest piece was to create a plane and extrude it into a cube. Then formed all the faces by splitting each face and extruding them. In Blender apparently this is how alot of modellers build. That kept only the original 4 vertices but not the additional vertices that were extruded from the original object when I imported the .dae file into Blender.

Last night however in SU I created a plane and continued to create additional planes as the surfaces of my object. Then when it was imported into Blender every corner had a vertice linked to an edge and a face and they could be manipulated individually.

I did copy and mirror half of the chest plate to merge over into the complete chest plate and tried what you were mentioning before about intersecting the planes. That didn't work so I stitching them together with a rectangular plane and deleted the old edge lines.

What I like about Blender is that I can select vertices and move them with by dragging the axis arrows. I'll try to get some images linked this week to show you what I'm talking about.

cool, I'm glad you got it figured out. Still not sure exactly what all your seeing though, but I expect it has to do w/ parts passing through each other but not getting intersected fully... or maybe not.. idk. you can move specific points around in SU too, though SU will try to anticipate your needs and it doesn't always get it right :/

the method of building out the model is more or less how I start too. I'll draw out a block and then start building on top of it or chipping away at it to get to whatever shape it is that I'm working on. I have to say that the helmet for Omega Supreme is taking everything I've learned in SU thus far as well as forcing me to do some new things. In the long run, this is a good thing though :)

Sweet, what size is that Omega Supreme helmet going to be? I wanted to model out a head for my custom after this Prime armor.

It will be to fit a Kreon head. This is to go along w/ the rest of the Omega upgrade set I'm working on. All that's left is the head :D

That's not completely true actually... I've gotten prototypes back of my torso expansion and it needs some tweaks. Measurements for the shoulder ball joints appear to be off as well as the torso height.. :/

A9X_-rlCEAA7obz.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot that you were doing the Omega Kreon. That thing is so full of cool I might get a Kreon just so I can order it from Shapeways.

Bye the way, I'm digging that claw concept. I thought about doing the same thing for my custom as well as have fists that come out or click in some how.

Oh yeah, I forgot that you were doing the Omega Kreon. That thing is so full of cool I might get a Kreon just so I can order it from Shapeways.

Bye the way, I'm digging that claw concept. I thought about doing the same thing for my custom as well as have fists that come out or click in some how.

Cool, I look forward to seeing what all you come up with :D

You can't see in any of the posted pics but the claw parts on Omega have a port in the center where something could be attached ;)

Archived