Simplistic Engineering Vs Modern Figures.....

PuertoRiCON

From a status update....Although modern engineering make for cool looking figures, I still prefer the simplicity of G1 transformations...

I've been selling off my CHUG figures and am focusing more on collecting G1 stuff. Although modern toy engineering make for better looking and figures, am I the only one here who prefers simplistic G1 figures with over their complicated CHUG counterparts?

There is just something about the design of G1 Optimus Prime that just "feels" right when transforming, compared to Classics voyager Prime. It's quick, easy, and to the point. My daughter loves playing with transformers but can never transform a figure herself due to the overcomplicated transformations most modern figures have. Of course, the old G1 figures (pre and post the 86 movie) are very simple compared to today's figures, but I just prefer the simple transformations to the overly complicated ones.

It isn't just the transformations that make me prefer G1 over CHUG/modern figures either. I know a lot of it lies with nostalgia, but the look of figures from back in the day just "look" better, even if their show accuracy was lacking.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing I surely miss from the G1 toys are the guns. Today, everything has to fit somewhere onto/into the alt-mode, so that limits the design options. Combiners, official combiners anyway, are hurt by the modern way of design as well. Hasbro needs to learn that it's okay to have separate connectors and hands and feet for their combiners.

I keep a few G1 figures because of nostalgia. I hate the non poseability of G1 transformers. That's why I like the newer figures. And you can't deny, some of the G1 toys just look plain corny today. Megatron is the worst offender, and Optimus is pretty corny looking too. Optimus' arms are stuck too close to his side and his forearms are too long and slender. Add in the fact that his legs should have been able to slide out further to the base of his hips to give a more proportional stance. But, this was cutting edge technology back then and so I can't knock them.

I keep a few G1 figures because of nostalgia. I hate the non poseability of G1 transformers. That's why I like the newer figures. And you can't deny, some of the G1 toys just look plain corny today. Megatron is the worst offender, and Optimus is pretty corny looking too. Optimus' arms are stuck too close to his side and his forearms are too long and slender. Add in the fact that his legs should have been able to slide out further to the base of his hips to give a more proportional stance. But, this was cutting edge technology back then and so I can't knock them.

I'm not even aguing the fact that G1 figures figures are no where near as "cool" as far as their poseability and advancement compared to today's figures....just showing my preference for G1 figures due to their simplistic transformations.

Megatron looks funny compared to figures today, but he is perhaps one of my favorite G1 figures trigger crotch and all.

Optimus looks so much better than any other Optimus (in my opinion). Yeah, his forearms are a bit long and his legs don't bend forward, but there is just something beautiful with the simplicity of that figure. Also, as I said, it is/was so easy to transform. I mean literally flip the head down, fold the arms in and bend the legs back and you're done.

I hate how figures today have such ridiculously complicated transformations. I mean, for instance, I hardly even transformed my CHUG Tracks and Wheeljack because their transformations were annoying. I know it's due to the engineering in todays toy world, but less is more sometimes...

I never really had G1's when they were "new" I got a few when they were reissued at TRU, but that was still before the days of "full-time" employment. When the classics started coming out I saw it as a chance for me to finally grab up all my fav's (little did I know that I'd be one of the lucky many to wait 6 years after Starscream, Skywarp, and Ramjet were released for proper retail release versions of Thrust Thundercracker and Dirge). I guess the point is though that I grew up on the media, and not really the toys so much, the CHUG lines were what pulled me back in after Beast Machines pulled me out, RID gave me a reason to stay away, and the Unicron Ttrilogy just plain left me unfulfilled. I'm gonna keep collecting classics, and Neo-G1 figs until I can open up any issue of the DW MTMTE's, point to any random page and say "yup, the figure of him is standing on that shelf... and he's in the middle of a roundhouse kick! Maybe I shouldn't pose my Transformers when I'm drunk....."

I'm not even aguing the fact that G1 figures figures are no where near as "cool" as far as their poseability and advancement compared to today's figures....just showing my preference for G1 figures due to their simplistic transformations.

Megatron looks funny compared to figures today, but he is perhaps one of my favorite G1 figures trigger crotch and all.

Optimus looks so much better than any other Optimus (in my opinion). Yeah, his forearms are a bit long and his legs don't bend forward, but there is just something beautiful with the simplicity of that figure. Also, as I said, it is/was so easy to transform. I mean literally flip the head down, fold the arms in and bend the legs back and you're done.

I hate how figures today have such ridiculously complicated transformations. I mean, for instance, I hardly even transformed my CHUG Tracks and Wheeljack because their transformations were annoying. I know it's due to the engineering in todays toy world, but less is more sometimes...

Let's not forget the many occasions when Hasbro needs to be frugal with the plastic and we get CHUG figures with limbs that have hollow spaces on the back.

I'm going to sound like an idiot, but what does CHUG stand for?

Classics, Hunt (for decepticons), Universe 2.0, Generations....

I always thought the H stood for Henkei! Henkei! The Japanese version of the Classics/Universe 2.0 lines, makes more sense since HFTD was a movie tie-in line

Archived