Why Do People Defend Online Stores That Are Overpriced?

peaces

I deal with BBTS or TFSource primarily due to items I'm looking for are 3rd party produced items are and not in stores or are non US based releases. The second and more upfront reason is that living in a larger, yet still not so economically diverse part of Oklahoma makes it hard to collect when the nearest larger cities/TRU's are between 45-150 miles away and it's actually cheaper in gas and time saving to just have it shipped to me. Suffice it to say, the two walmart's and the one k-mart locally here do on occasion get a rare gem in, but I have to be there at 7am on a Monday or Tuesday depending on the day they decide to restock(I found my first to vehicons that way, one week apart).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it also has to do with collector frustration, due to the fact that online stores like BBTS have alot more variety and stuff in stock then going into the usual stores and seeing the same transformers that were there the week before. For collectors like me, I order because of how Hasbro has been lately, here are a few examples.

1. Hasbro canceling Generations figures like Rumble and Frenzy, and the way they handled RTS releases like Windcharger, I opted to order the United versions of these figures.

2. Refusal to release Prime voyager Breakdown, I wasn't able to acquire him. But I did order his repaint/retool as Swerve which is not a bad figure at all. The refusal to release Jet Vehicon should be a good reason as well.

3. Slow distribution of GDO Toys R Us exclusives, I was tired of waiting for these to release at my local Toys R Us when they should, so I ordered him when I saw him on BBTS.

4. First Editions. As we all know of the First Edition debacle last year, they are being released again this year. For those that don't know basically Hasbro canceled last years First Edition line because they claimed that they were too complicated for kids to transform, which in my opinion is a big load of stinking crap. Which is why I ordered the First Edition Bulkhead figure in fear that Hasbro may cancel the line again.

Well I have a few pretty good reasons for the price markup... at least for bbts.

1. They usually are VERY helpful when replacing or returning defective figures and parts.

2. You have the option to cancel a preorder at any time.

3. Shipping speed is arguably good. "really depends where you live"

But yeah... RK can be cheap, but if you have a issue with the figure its usually hell to get a replacement part. They usually are really fast about answering general questions about products though. I recently had a error with a order with them and it took like 2 months to eventually get it resolved. XD

TFSource's free fast shipping over $150 and pay later on preorders with paypal is pretty good to. But its neigh impossible to cancel a preorder with them without the situation getting really unpleasant, I have had 2 instances of this happening. The first time was because THEY screwed up and didn't have a correct count of their inventory and I ended up having to wait 4 months to get a order because of a item that was supposedly in stock when I placed my order. The second time is recently, basically I preordered a few items and chose the pay later with paypal option back in early September. Anyways 2 unexpected computer failures later and I would much rather trim the fat from the order before it comes in. Its not like I want to completely cancel the order, plus it will only benefit them since Gaia Unicron was jacked up $10 since I made the order. Honestly I don't get what the problem is since they actually have not got any money from me for the order yet...

Oh well, what can you do. :shrug

Anyways my point is, sometimes paying the markup is worth it in some regards, especially if doing so will get you perks the other stores do not offer. Also I am not trying to bash TFSource or RK, I am just saying that sometimes paying extra to get it from bbts can be worth it just for the sake of convenience.

Well I have a few pretty good reasons for the price markup... at least for bbts.

1. They usually are VERY helpful when replacing or returning defective figures and parts.

2. You have the option to cancel a preorder at any time.

3. Shipping speed is arguably good. "really depends where you live"

But yeah... RK can be cheap, but if you have a issue with the figure its usually hell to get a replacement part. They usually are really fast about answering general questions about products though. I recently had a error with a order with them and it took like 2 months to eventually get it resolved. XD

TFSource's free fast shipping over $150 and pay later on preorders with paypal is pretty good to. But its neigh impossible to cancel a preorder with them without the situation getting really unpleasant, I have had 2 instances of this happening. The first time was because THEY screwed up and didn't have a correct count of their inventory and I ended up having to wait 4 months to get a order because of a item that was supposedly in stock when I placed my order. The second time is recently, basically I preordered a few items and chose the pay later with paypal option back in early September. Anyways 2 unexpected computer failures later and I would much rather trim the fat from the order before it comes in. Its not like I want to completely cancel the order, plus it will only benefit them since Gaia Unicron was jacked up $10 since I made the order. Honestly I don't get what the problem is since they actually have not got any money from me for the order yet...

Oh well, what can you do. :shrug

Anyways my point is, sometimes paying the markup is worth it in some regards, especially if doing so will get you perks the other stores do not offer. Also I am not trying to bash TFSource or RK, I am just saying that sometimes paying extra to get it from bbts can be worth it just for the sake of convenience.

AMEN!!!!

• 1 month later...

OMFG... check out TFSource's prices for United Artfire -- $139.95~144.95 depending on the condition of the box.

http://tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/4225/

spitdrink-1.gif

I paid $64 for mine, and this toy's only JUST come out this month (so it's not as if this is some kind of secondary aftermarket price). FFFUUUUU...

:agree I have once came across them having a cheaper price than BBTS and went with it. In the past, I have usually went to TFsource due to them getting something in ahead of BBTS, but anymore, I can wait.

As for Artfire(which I really dig this mold) and similarly released redeco's of retail released molds for exorbitant prices, I'm past being done, my collection can do without. :tdown

:agree I have once came across them having a cheaper price than BBTS and went with it. In the past, I have usually went to TFsource due to them getting something in ahead of BBTS, but anymore, I can wait.

As for Artfire(which I really dig this mold) and similarly released redeco's of retail released molds for exorbitant prices, I'm past being done, my collection can do without. :tdown

I can do without Artfire because I think it cheapens the Inferno mold. I'm biased because Inferno is in my top ten favorite transformers and I can forgive Grapple using it because of the G1 usage.

That is why for TF Source, I go straight to the pre order if it is an TF Source Exclusive, or only buy from them when they are doing their salesm and the price is more realistic. I do the same with BBTS, as it is the only way to make sure you are buying at a realistic price. Though if you do wait long enough you do end up gretting great deals

Archived