Toy Sales Continue To Plummet

Blitz-Wing

As we go further into the digital age, traditional toys continue to suffer. Toy makers, such as Hasbro, were encouraged by a strong September. However, Q3 numbers put the entire toy industry down 5-6%. Action figures seem to be taking the brunt of the decline, as children gravitate more to tablets. Toymakers blame the weak economy, which they claim has hampered R&D and thus prevented the industry from coming up with innovative new products. However, some toy fans may lay blame on details such as poor distribution or higher prices. What's your take on this? Read the article here and then discuss below.

The digital age does seem to be cutting into the sales of physical toys, but I think that will ultimately cull inferior brands and encourage inovation in cool new products like the toy/game fusion Skylanders.

I am sure the economy has something to do with this... I am fortunate to have a good job but I know people who are struggling... I am guessing buying the next figure is the last thing on their list...

Meh. Toy companies have been blaming technology and video games for 15 years now, it's an easy excuse, but nothing more than a theory. You don't see them bragging about how they overcame video games when profits are up. The economy is a little easier to swallow, but still an easy excuse. Last I checked the economy was looking better (not great, just better) than it was a few years ago and I'm pretty sure Hasbro has had some good years since 2008 so that isn't holding much water. But something every toy company has done this year is let the prices climb. Sad thing is Hasbro doesn't even seem to know they're doing it! MSRP on a deluxe figure is supposed to be $14.99, but you'd be hard pressed to find a store selling them that "low". And this is the third straight year of price jumps, they've gone up twice this year alone. And just to add insult to injury they make the figures smaller, too. Gee, I wonder why nobody is buying. I was fed up enough to import all of the Japanese Generations figures mostly because I'm so annoyed by Hasbro, but also because they look a hell of a lot better.

Emerje

I'm not sure that the blame can only be based on technology. I just returned from Wal Mart with 5 new deluxes (FOC Bruticus) with a hefty price tag of over $80.

I've been collecting since G1, and have had to scale back purchases considerably. The new price hike of $15.47 per deluxe is ridiculous!

Interestingly enough TRU has now become the cheapest place I shop for figures....everywhere else they are more expensive with exception to Walmart since they beat them by $.04. If anything I would think that technology would increase toy sales on the fact that kids want video game figures, but I guess kids more now a days aren't enamored over the things that I had when I was a kid. If I had the TFs and GI joe figures that are out now....I would be lovin it! Seems like now things have to have a gimmick or something electronic in them to be deemed worthy of kids..it's all in the way you look at the data.....sales might be down, but they are higher than they were last year....kind if like the stock market....when stocks go down...but the volume is way up. I bet third parties sales are up because they are working on making stuff people actually want...(okay not all of them) :tfevil

makes me sad but things had changed over the last 30 years. i mean, when was the last time you saw playsets like the Flagg or Terrordrome on the shelf?? I've seen pictures of toy stores from the 80's where the aisles were covered in Joe vehicles alone. makes me sad we may never see a time like the 80's again in the toy aisle. TRU is barely a semblance of what they used to be. and with KB gone, they are the only toy stronghold left. if they disappear, toys may be right behind them...

Archived