Psa: Watch Your Gdo Cliffjumpers Butt!

Reluttr

is this only on the US GDO figures or also on the Asia GDO ones? I have the ASIA version. i havent opened mine yet but might not now...

From my understanding the GDO line was a chance for collectors on both side of the world a chance at the same figures. The Asia one were packaged in robot mode sane the Asian characters at the top of the package. The US versions were in car mode and given the kanji at top. As far as that, those are thte only differences I know of.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just got first edition terrorcon cliffjumper from tru today. first time transforming and the horns/front grill part just snapped right off. completely broke the hinge. this has nothing to do with being rough or manufacturing. it's simply a horrible design. other than that i absolutely love this figure. thought the japanese all purple version is much cooler. it's not the biggest deal for me since i won't be transforming him, but still. i may have wanted to transform him if he didn't have that flaw. but with the flaw, there really isn't an option to transform him. bummer. this is now my favorite figure.

Sounds like being rough, or did not transform the two side hinges first. My TCCJ was nice and smooth, you do have to transform the two hinges that lock it to the grill first otherwise when you do try to Transform the horns part of the hood, it will snap.

The Takara TCCJ does not have the problem, and I have actually been talking to a lot of my friends on other boards and they have come to the same conclusion I have, people are not properly transforming the hinges before Transforming the hood

I have the USA GDO also, and he does not have the issue, he would only have the issue if the hinges were not transformed. As a matter of fact, when my friends on the other boards have asked the people complaining about if they transformed the 2 hinges before transforming the hood, they said no they did not. Which tells me what I have been saying they were being rough, and mistransforming, which is leading to the people breaking their Cliff jumper. The version of this mold I do not have is the SDCC Terrorcon Cliffjumper. But this issue would be across the board and effect all the figures, which it does not, and there really is not a lot of people claiming this, so it is not the mold

is this only on the US GDO figures or also on the Asia GDO ones? I have the ASIA version. i havent opened mine yet but might not now...

From my understanding the GDO line was a chance for collectors on both side of the world a chance at the same figures. The Asia one were packaged in robot mode sane the Asian characters at the top of the package. The US versions were in car mode and given the kanji at top. As far as that, those are thte only differences I know of.

They wee released at 2 different times. Doesnt mean they were from the same batch. i was asking which version of the GDO CJ's were having the issue. USA or ASIA ones. since a lot of people didnt jump on the ASIA band wagon when they were released.

i was inspecting my usa terrorcon and lord onslaught is right. there are two small tabs which must be pushed inward before the headlights can be brought down or the piece will break. it is very hard to see in the instructions. it looks like you're supposed to pull the headlights down instead of pushing the two small tabs inwards. they should have really put a warning on this part in the instructions. this is still going to result in a lot of broken cliff jumpers. personally i would not touch the front grill/horn piece at all, and rather just push the two small tabs inwards and pull down the headlights.

just got first edition terrorcon cliffjumper from tru today. first time transforming and the horns/front grill part just snapped right off. completely broke the hinge. this has nothing to do with being rough or manufacturing. it's simply a horrible design. other than that i absolutely love this figure. thought the japanese all purple version is much cooler. it's not the biggest deal for me since i won't be transforming him, but still. i may have wanted to transform him if he didn't have that flaw. but with the flaw, there really isn't an option to transform him. bummer. this is now my favorite figure.

Sounds like being rough, or did not transform the two side hinges first. My TCCJ was nice and smooth, you do have to transform the two hinges that lock it to the grill first otherwise when you do try to Transform the horns part of the hood, it will snap.

The Takara TCCJ does not have the problem, and I have actually been talking to a lot of my friends on other boards and they have come to the same conclusion I have, people are not properly transforming the hinges before Transforming the hood

And normally I would agree but, I have heard in a few cases (more than a few) that the piece was broke IN the packaging. I think it might be a combo of both, mistransformation and just shoddy/cheap/thin palstic used on that are. LIke I have said, my GDO broke after I cut the ties, TCCJ has been TFd and no problems what so ever. Boggles the mind.

• 1 year later...

I hope it's not a terrible breach of etiquette to reply to this thread so long after the last post, but I just recently got a FE Cliffjumper at TRU and had the exact same problem. That whole grille chunk just snapped right off.

Shoddy design plus fairly typical vague instruction sheets are to blame, as I seriously thought there was possibly another hinge there that was supposed to fold a little more. I gave a little too much force apparently, not worrying as most toys in the last 15 years or so have had parts pop off when you do this without doing any permanent damage, but no, that stupid metal rod that didn't need to be there at all made the hinges crack open. Then when I attempted to turn him back into a car those hinge parts came completely off.

So, is there any good fix for this? I'm thinking of trying crazy glue, but am not sure if I have the manual dexterity to get the glue and hinge pieces into such a tiny spot so before trying this would like to know if anyone else has had luck with such a repair (or has a better option).

I would return the toy if I thought I could find another, but I've only ever seen one on shelves, and honestly would rather have it broken than not at all.

Archived