Omega Supreme

Jason X

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Animated version of Omega's alternate mode is, IMHO, vastly superior to the G1 version.

Animated Omega's alternate form tied together or helped tie together a series of running storylines in the Animated continuity. It served a purpose and was plausible given both the context it was presented in and the fashion in which it was executed. And yes, a toy would have been manna from heaven.

G1 Omega was a mess to me. For starters, it was never established how he interacted between effectively having his consiousness spread out over 3 distinct and complex components. It was established with Optimus (with 2 components that were not too terribly complex) and with Fortress Maximus and Metroplex, with much more complex components than either Optimus or Omega. Either way, G1 didn't explain any of it and I thusly never cared all that much about the character. His bio was cool, but that was about it. I did not care for the toy, his character or the fact that the battle was effectively over the moment Omega showed his face. Besides, for the most part, the character was only there to replace Skyfire as the Autobots transport--which is the role Omega consistently performed. Skyfire was, to me at least, a much more interesting character, so this was a case of subtraction by addition.

Omega Supreme was, along with Ratchet and Optimus Prime, one of a handful of G1 characters that I utterly hated (I cheered when Ratchet bought in in TFTM, and not just because "Instruments of Destruction" is a kickass song)that the Animated continuity made me love. Animated found a way to make the character relevent, utterly all-powerful and still critically limited in certain aspects. I like the fact that Animated established that any one of the main Decepticons--from Blitzwing to Megs--could actually offline any one of the Omega Sentinels. That little detail helped put over the 'Cons and help add a little tension when Omega Supreme showed up. The skirmish was not necessarily over just because he had now entered the battle.

The Animated version of Omega's alternate mode is, IMHO, vastly superior to the G1 version.

Animated Omega's alternate form tied together or helped tie together a series of running storylines in the Animated continuity. It served a purpose and was plausible given both the context it was presented in and the fashion in which it was executed. And yes, a toy would have been manna from heaven.

G1 Omega was a mess to me. For starters, it was never established how he interacted between effectively having his consiousness spread out over 3 distinct and complex components. It was established with Optimus (with 2 components that were not too terribly complex) and with Fortress Maximus and Metroplex, with much more complex components than either Optimus or Omega. Either way, G1 didn't explain any of it and I thusly never cared all that much about the character. His bio was cool, but that was about it. I did not care for the toy, his character or the fact that the battle was effectively over the moment Omega showed his face. Besides, for the most part, the character was only there to replace Skyfire as the Autobots transport--which is the role Omega consistently performed. Skyfire was, to me at least, a much more interesting character, so this was a case of subtraction by addition.

Omega Supreme was, along with Ratchet and Optimus Prime, one of a handful of G1 characters that I utterly hated (I cheered when Ratchet bought in in TFTM, and not just because "Instruments of Destruction" is a kickass song)that the Animated continuity made me love. Animated found a way to make the character relevent, utterly all-powerful and still critically limited in certain aspects. I like the fact that Animated established that any one of the main Decepticons--from Blitzwing to Megs--could actually offline any one of the Omega Sentinels. That little detail helped put over the 'Cons and help add a little tension when Omega Supreme showed up. The skirmish was not necessarily over just because he had now entered the battle.

I wish there were more people like us who enjoyed Animated... One more season would have been nice...

No, no!! G1 Omega had a very good story. For starters, he was a Guardian robot, but the fact that they didn't explain why he was the only one that was sentient and a different color was very mysterious. Even Optimus respomded to him surprised by saying "You were a guardian robot?!" Although Omega was supposed to just come in and decimate everyone, this didn't always happen. Case in point: The Golden Lagoon episode. They took down Omega like it was nothing. Other examples: How many times did Omega sit on the sideline because he didn't have enough power. What about the episode where he got damaged on Cybertron and exploded upon his return to Earth? He wasn't all powerful in the G1 continuity.

You also mention his multi components. Well, technically Omega Supreme is ONE individual. Back in the eighties, I'm sure no one thought about having Omega transform realistically like Bay's movie version of Devastator. That's the way Omega should have transformed in G1. We got the magic levatating and floating pieces that join together. Ibises to say it was some kind of magnetic field he used to draw his parts together. But Omega Supreme's transformation in G1 was no fldifferent than Megatron being a 50 foot robot that can transform into a gun that another 50 foot tall robot could hold, and then transform again so that a 6 foot tall human could hold him.

So, no I have nothing against the Animated Omega Supreme. I just didn't enjoy him as well as the G1 Omega.

No, no!! G1 Omega had a very good story. For starters, he was a Guardian robot, but the fact that they didn't explain why he was the only one that was sentient and a different color was very mysterious. Even Optimus respomded to him surprised by saying "You were a guardian robot?!" Although Omega was supposed to just come in and decimate everyone, this didn't always happen. Case in point: The Golden Lagoon episode. They took down Omega like it was nothing. Other examples: How many times did Omega sit on the sideline because he didn't have enough power. What about the episode where he got damaged on Cybertron and exploded upon his return to Earth? He wasn't all powerful in the G1 continuity.

You also mention his multi components. Well, technically Omega Supreme is ONE individual. Back in the eighties, I'm sure no one thought about having Omega transform realistically like Bay's movie version of Devastator. That's the way Omega should have transformed in G1. We got the magic levatating and floating pieces that join together. Ibises to say it was some kind of magnetic field he used to draw his parts together. But Omega Supreme's transformation in G1 was no fldifferent than Megatron being a 50 foot robot that can transform into a gun that another 50 foot tall robot could hold, and then transform again so that a 6 foot tall human could hold him.

So, no I have nothing against the Animated Omega Supreme. I just didn't enjoy him as well as the G1 Omega.

Ah, see, but that's where we differ. G1 really had no direction for the character other than to move those toys, so his characterization was minimal at best and his utilization was inconsistent. Generally, his arrival signalled the end of the conflict or Skyfire was in his cups and unable to transport anyone aywhere. If nothing else, Animated found a way for Omega to be in practically every episode and still allow for conflict between the main and subordinate antagonists and protagonists--which I thought was just short of genius, as realistically, Animated Omega's function was the same as G1's Omega and he could have realistically ended the conflict on Earth all by himself in short order.

The thing about G1 is that it was, in many ways, slipshod. They were just starting off creating what we now view as canon, and could not have known that nearly 30 years after the fact, some of us really do want to know how Omega's mind organized itself between his 3 components. I've always just assumed that Omega's mind was literally just pared down to the bare essence where there was essentially no personality and this was just divided up between the 3 main units and a measure of sentience was maintained but never truly maximized until all 3 units joined together.I figured this was his new reality after the ordeal with the Robo-Smasher, where he actually had a distinct personality beforehand and no clear alternate mode--if any at all. The show just never explained it. Actually, I don't recall it ever being explained anywhere. If I'm wrong, please correct me and point me in the right direction.

It would be nice to see a continuity really examine the character in an in-depth fashion. I'm partial (of course) to the Animated version of the character, but any take on the character that is new and fresh would be fine by me.

Also: the idea of mass-shifting. See, I view Cybertronians in any iteration of the fiction as metamorphs, and the ability to mass-shift would be a conceivable part of that. It would be the ultimate form of disguise, as your enemy could be anywhere and anything. I love that, and I've always viewed it as canon. It's why I never complained when TFP Arcee or TFA Prowl and Bumblebee would draw upon mass from Hammerspace and be a lot larger than their alt modes would suggest. In any event, however:

:beer

Also, Nguyen_Dragon: I would have killed for a 4th season. I've found myself withdrawing completely from my Classics and Bayverse toys and most of the Prime stuff and I've concentrated almost totally on the TFA figures. I can't put down the Dinobots. I'm re-watching the episodes and I'm re-reading volumes 1 and II of the AllSpark Almanac and I find myself crying that one little tear that that Indian on horseback used to when he saw people littering. To each their own, and all respect to those that do not care for the Animated universe or aestetic or both, but: to me, Animated was the single best iteration of the TF multiverse. It is my own personal G1 (I know that that's blasphemy, but what the hey) and I miss the hell out of it terribly.

Animated was/is an amazing show. I'd love to at the very least see a comic continuation of that universe. So many stories went untold....

I did like G1 Omega Supreme though. It's just that for the purposes of this discussion the Animated take on his alt mode makes alot more sense.

And mass shifting is a cool concept, but it really only exists as an unnecessary complication to justiy releasing both Microman and Diaclone figures under one banner. As such, it's probably better that it was done away with in later TF incarnations.

Animated was/is an amazing show. I'd love to at the very least see a comic continuation of that universe. So many stories went untold....

I did like G1 Omega Supreme though. It's just that for the purposes of this discussion the Animated take on his alt mode makes alot more sense.

And mass shifting is a cool concept, but it really only exists as an unnecessary complication to justiy releasing both Microman and Diaclone figures under one banner. As such, it's probably better that it was done away with in later TF incarnations.

There was a 6 issue limited series for Animated, it was cancelled at issue 5

That really sucks, but I appreciate the head up Hellscream.

I thought Animated Omega was badass. And I thought WFC alt mode was terrible. It just looked bad while it was chasing you around. At least Animated Omega looked like something in alt mode, not just a robot on it's belly with all it's limbs facing one direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you seen the mass changes in Transformers Prime? There's no way a motorcycle decompresses to that much mass the way Arcee does. Granted it's not as bad as G1 Megatron shifting but there are definite mass changes in TF Prime.

Archived