Display Case Idea - What Do You Think?

robotmel

:bot

Greetings alien robot lovers!

Hope this is okay posted here as it's not so much a custom Transformer but a custom made display case for Transformers, or anything really but I'll get to that later!

The story goes...

My wife started asking odd questions regarding the size of a Transformer, height, width, depth, name etc which I thought extremely out of character?

She likes the movies, tolerates my collection and I think she has a thing for the voice of Optimus Prime, Peter Cullen!!

Now I love a surprise and was filled with hope that she had some crazy plan for a gift for my recent 40th birthday!

After visiting relatives over in Dublin the gift was realised!

post-23545-0-62995500-1350398425.jpg

This was made by my brother-in-law in his home studio/workshop.

Its made with 2mm thick clear plastic, laser cut and etched with a faction logo, mode and name.

post-23545-0-80568000-1350399044.jpg

Made from six pieces, the edges are cut to form interlocking teeth (for want of a better description) which clip together around each edge forming the case.

The plastic sheets have a thin layer of protective film over them which needs peeling back, which is why a couple of my photos look a little scratched, so dont worry!

post-23545-0-03684000-1350399276.jpg

Being a test piece/gift, if I had known what was coming I would have increased the dimensions a little to accommodate lil Prime a bit better.

Once I had assembled the display case and popped Optimus in there it got me to thinking about other Transformers and their needs when displaying them.

post-23545-0-70072200-1350399379.jpg

Imagine your Classics/Henkei Mirage taking pride in himself in his own little plastic box!

post-23545-0-07245400-1350399442.jpg

My brother-in-law told me he could make the case larger to fit any size Transformer or other figures I have, so Im going to fire him an email with some ideas.

This smaller case feels very strong and sturdy, but I would guess a Masterpiece sized case would need slightly thicker plastic, perhaps 3mm or 4mm?

post-23545-0-81351000-1350399501.jpg

So what do folk think? ;)

Thats cool. I like how they would be "stack-able" for display. I cant imagine those being cheap though...

Yeah, the possible price has me wondering. Maybe excluding the etching would bring it down some. That still doesn't take away the fact that these are kick ass! My bots are staring at the screen now drooling, wanting their own "private" space lol. Awesome idea and execution.

:)

Thank you for everyones positive feedback so far. I have passed on a link to this thread and a couple more suggestions for further cases to my brother-in-law.

He rang me last night, feeling rather pleased with himself, has offered to make me a couple more at cost, so as soon as they get delivered I will get some more photos up.

Whilst he is still tweaking the cutting process (its all done with lasers!!) and sourcing the acrylic sheets, I have asked if he could work out some sort of price list and delivery costs, so all being well a small production run could be started if there is enough interest.

I have asked about the possibility of sourcing some sheets with a blue tint so a Mirage display case could be produced. He is looking into it! ;)

I am very pleased with my gift and looking forward to the next two cases arriving. :bot

Any chance of larger cases for multiple figures?

Yeah, maybe taking the largest examples of each size class (deluxe, voyager, leader etc.) and using those dimensions for standardization?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived