Review - Transformers Robots In Disguise #10

ExVee

As usual I thought John did an excellent job with his writing, especially given the complexity of what he was trying to get across. And I do agree with you, the art style was hard to follow. But personally I'm not a fan of Livio's work anyway. I like the style, but not for story telling. It reminds me of fan art; single frames look great, but when trying to move a story forward, it lacks real detail and progress. It's great for covers. Most of the work I see of his is muddied and blurred, with almost no background detail so you can't get a good feel for the surroundings or context. For an entire story, it becomes very difficult to follow when all you see are close ups of heads, glowing eyes or arms reaching for something. I know a lot of people like his style, but for me, it hinders the story and forces the writing to carry more of a load, instead of the art and writing working together to tell a great story.

I've personally been waiting to see a really good full body pic of Bludgeon, however if it's done by Livio it might as well be a headshot, I hate his work!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one haha

I've personally been waiting to see a really good full body pic of Bludgeon, however if it's done by Livio it might as well be a headshot, I hate his work!

Yeah, I'm starting to think there was a secret meeting at IDW where it was decided that after the "Death" of Prime, Pax can only ever be drawn by Livio Ramondeli for all the rest of time, and I soooo despise it, but I'm still loving the current format for continuity in IDW. This issue at the very lease resolves all the issues I had with Spotlight: Wheelie, which I think was originally billed as an imaginary story, then later became a humongous plothole when the character was reintroduced during Space Opera.

Yeah, I'm starting to think there was a secret meeting at IDW where it was decided that after the "Death" of Prime, Pax can only ever be drawn by Livio Ramondeli for all the rest of time, and I soooo despise it, but I'm still loving the current format for continuity in IDW. This issue at the very lease resolves all the issues I had with Spotlight: Wheelie, which I think was originally billed as an imaginary story, then later became a humongous plothole when the character was reintroduced during Space Opera.

Totally agree man! The writing and storylines for RiD and MtMtE are amazing, the best Transformers stories we've had in years! And while RiD is fairly basic artwork, I am in love with MtMtE, both in art and story (nothing against RiD, it's good, I just think it's sister title is over the top good). I couldn't be happier with IDW right now, ever since Chaos ended. But time and time again, my only true complaint is Livio, I can't stand his work. Like I said, decent for covers, but horrible for storytelling. And yeah, I don't think we'll ever see proper artwork for Pax, maybe once he becomes Prime again (it's inevitable), we'll be able to lose Livio.

My conflict is that I like the style, but not the mechanics. Most of Ramondelli's comic art I've seen has been way too dark which is the most hurtful thing. But take the sequence with Turmoil in this issue. That looked really good in bright colors where you could clearly see everything. Of course, then you get to the Bludgeon part and I at least couldn't tell exactly what was supposed to be happening. This storyline plays up to the original strength of the Optimus Prime character, where he was a classic action hero, riding around and having adventures. That's gotten lost over the years to things like Military Governor Optimus Prime, Stoic Mentor Optimus Prime, and Give Me Your Face Optimus Prime. I want to see more of this, but the art is not making it easy.

Archived